A&P Zoom Lense

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pelf, Apr 17, 2006.

1. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

Looking for a zoom lense for my nikon d70 to take to europe with me this summer. Budget is around 300$ max. what do you recommend? would it be worth it to wait longer and save up more cash for a better one? keep in mind i am beginner/amateur photogapher so i dont need the latest greatest shit.

2. eof

eof New Member

Spend a little extra and get the Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    /thread

3. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

Right now i have the d70 18-70mm kit lense. still recommend that one? Im looking to be able to zoom in a bit more..

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

extra 5mm :bigthumb:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get the Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6mm ED for around $330. not a bad lens for the price.

6. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

:werd:

7. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i hated mine. i returned it and got a 50 f/1.4 instead.

if you saved up 200 more dollars you could get a tokina 12-24 which i hear is an awesome lens. wide angle is good for travel

8. eof

eof New Member

ugh...

"zoom a bit more" is not the same as greater focal length. You want greater focal length. Zoom is the factor of the greatest focal length to the smallest local length of a lens. e.g. 70mm / 18mm = 3.8 zoom

If you want more focal length and are looking for something cheap you will not be that impressed. I have a Sigma 70-300mm Super Macro II APO...it is ok if there is a ton of light but slow focus and softness kill it. It is still a ton better than the Nikon 70-300 from what I hear.

9. eof

eof New Member

You are ignorant... zoom != focal length. Do some reading... Your little dinky thumbs up isn't so funny when you are wrong is it?

:bigthumb:

10. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I bought an AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6. Cheap, focuses quickly, nice and sharp. Recommend it.

Now superceded by my 18-200mm VR :wiggle:

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

If I were you, I would...

1. Get the Sigma 70-300 APO DG/SuperII. It is simply one of the best 70-300mm lens out there for Nikon. I had the APO Super II version. It is almost as sharp as my 70-200 VR. I would highly recommend the Sigma 70-300 over the Nikon 70-300 ED. Especially when the Sigma is not only sharper, but cheaper and can be used for macro in a pinch.

alternatively you can...

2. Sell your 18-70, and buy a 18-200 VR. In places where you can't use a flash or tripod, like the museum for instnace, the VR can be very useful for static subjects. This can also be the only lens that you carry with you. You don't have to worry about dust. You don't worry about which lens to leave on the body or spend time swapping lenses when you should really be enjoy yourself on a trip.

12. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

And you can't read... He said he wanted to "zoom in" a bit more, though wants longer focal length for the extra reaching power.

13. eof

eof New Member

He said "zoom in" after my post... So I can read fine.

:greddy:

BTW... Nice Av fuckhead

14. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

woow dude RELAX..no need to go around insulting everyone around here

sheesh its one thing to act like a stuck up motherfucker..its another to go insulting everyone on pretty much every word they use..

15. eof

eof New Member

If you haven't read enough to know how to ask your question you shouldn't be asking it. Why expect someone else to help you when you haven't even tried to help yourself. I am stuck up because I am good enough to be stuck up.... I insult people because it is the internet. I am not going to be your e-friend and give you e-reacharounds all day on OT.

16. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

i learned something today :bowdown:

17. eof

eof New Member

Do a search for my username and you will learn a lot today.... :bigthumb:

:rofl:

18. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Hey tool, read the OP better. He said he wanted to "zoom in" more. ie: magnification.

NOT "zoom"

19. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriuosly... Who the F do you think you are? :rolleyes: Some humbleness and humility will do everyone good in life IMHO.

Keep in mind that for one thing that you do know. There are at least a thousand things that you don't know. For one skill that you possess, there are least ten other skills that you don't possess.

You can feel free to have opinions, but you don't have to be so cocky and insulting. If you are pissed about your own life, deal with it some other way. Don't go on the Internet and try to be a know-it-all e-thug. Go get laid or something, I think that will do you good, too.

P.S. No AV > having a annoying pathetic AV. JMHO

20. WTF is a lense???

21. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Main Entry: lens
    Variant: also lense /'lenz/
    Function: noun
    1 : a curved piece of glass or plastic used singly or combined in eyeglasses or an optical instrument (as a microscope) for forming an image
    2 : a device for directing or focusing radiation other than light (as sound waves, radio microwaves, or electrons)
    3 : a highly transparent biconvex lens-shaped or nearly spherical body in the eye that focuses light rays entering the eye typically onto the retina, lies immediately behind the pupil, is made up of slender curved rod-shaped ectodermal cells in concentric lamellae surrounded by a tenuous mesoblastic capsule, and alters its focal length by becoming more or less spherical in response to the action of the ciliary muscle on a peripheral suspensory ligament —lensed adjective —lens·less adjective

lense

n : a transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images [syn: lens, lens system]

22. eof

eof New Member

I just cried...are you happy now?

BTW there is no need to use "Who the F do you think you are"...you can use the real word "fuck" you wouldn't be the first on the internet to break that out.

23. eof

eof New Member

I don't know but I want one that has fantastic zoom and a high DOF....:cool:

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

not if you want a longer zoom. the 70-300 will do you just fine for most traveling. my wide angle (the tokina you mentioned) would not be a great lens for everything but will be for close ups.

25. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member