Zombie movies and their causes

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lance1019, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Lance1019

Lance1019 Get ready for a punch in the dick!

Does anyone else hate it as much as I do when zombie movies try to give the reason that the zombie outbreak happened. Voodoo is lame. Chemicals are boring. Just let it be a mistery. I think it takes away from being able to focus on the characters in the movie.

2. Atomic_American

Atomic_American New Member

Couldn't agree more

3. ImAcracker

ImAcracker Fuck Censorship of any kind.

28 Days later was a great fucking movie.

4. BrandoSabbins

BrandoSabbins New Member

:slap:
    Romero used radiation in Night of the Living Dead. it made sense though.

5. Lance1019

Radiation was only speculation. Read up on it and you will see that romero never had a cause for outbreak. Radiation was only implied cuz it was shocking at the time because of the russians and the threat of nuclear weapons. he used social commentary in all of his movies. and radiation was only supposed to be that. Speculation.

now puting a pinpoint reason for it like in "zombie" or "zombi 2" is softening the point of zombies, I think. even though I like lucio fulcis movie.

Romero had a vision. And trying to put a reason to that vision seems like it cheapens it.

The stories were about the people, not the zombies. Putting focus on the zombies seems to cheapen the point of how humans work in this situation, to reiterate. I think voodoo and chemicals are only good for laughs. not for a serious social commentary. Therefore.... I think you get it by now, I wont ramble on any more...

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I like not knowing the cause too. With the inaccurate reporting out of New Orleans, I would totally expect the general public not to know why people are becoming zombies.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I agree completely.

Although I like saying 2,4,5 Trioxin.

8. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

one of my favorite movies ever, I saw it at the drive in when it came out back in the day. "I ain't in no mood to die tonight!"

9. Roswell

Roswell OT Supporter

It doesn't really matter to me as I don't really like zomby movie in general. The only one I liked was the remake of "Dawn of the Dead". I actually can't wait till tomorow for the dvd release of "Land of the Dead".

10. Lance1019

At least you like Land of the dead. But............. Find your place before you talk shit about zombies. if your opinion has no relevance in this thread, why bother??? get me???

11. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

05 ethug in progress.

12. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

Zombie movie rules concern me, not the origin of the outbreak.

In Return Of The Living Dead, the zombies were attracted to the smell of living brains. They also did not die with a shot to the head. Each piece of a dismembered zombie still moved, and the only remedy was incineration.

In the Dawn Of The Dead remake, the zombies seem to be relying on other senses to locate people. Some zombies obviously rely on sight, spotting people from many yards away. Other zombies seem to be blind, but still approach a living person in proximity. Is it just a zombie "sixth sense?"

Another thing,

In the original Night of the Living Dead, the zombies would kill, then eat a person. There are long sequences showing the zombies eating. But in the Dawn remake, zombies seem to want to bite and infect, and as soon as their target has been changed into a zombie, they lose interest and move on. They also seem to have no interest in any living animal other than humans.

13. Lance1019

Well you must first uderstand the lineage of the zombie movie. Lets give it a shot.

Night of the living dead (68), Dawn of the dead (78), Day of the dead (85), Land of the dead (05) - Directed by romero, zombies start walking and killing for any reason, not just from an infection. The dead carry a disease that kills you, but once dead, the mystical force or whatever unexplained reason it is that brings the dead back, will bring back any that died from anything, even bleeding to death with no bites or anything. And these zombies will eat any living creature.

Return of the living dead (85) - Directed by Dan O'Bannon. This was actually written as a sequel to night of the living dead, being co-written by John russo (the co-creator of night). But since dawn came out first and John and George had a beef or something, they rewrote the script and decieded to make it a simi-spoof comedy of night, saying that night was supposed to be a true story but the government made them change the story around. Whereas, In night, they wanted to eat flesh and you killed them by destroying the brain. but in Return, they main focus of the zombie was to eat the brains. It was just basiccaly not trying to step on Romeros toes, and make their own movie, but still have connections to Night.

Dawn of the Dead (04) - Directed by Zack Snyder. In this one they decieded to tweak the rules of the classic zombie. In this one zombies are only made by getting bitten, zombies are only Interested in humans, and they run like crazy. This also shouldnt be taken as a remake of a sequel to night of the living dead. It should just be viewed as its own movie that happens to have the same name as another movie.

I understand what you are saying about the "sixth sence" thing. But I think its just more of the take on the zombie that each director wanted for their movies. Romeros zombies were mindless, and slow. Bassically just a nussence in single numbers, more of a threat when ganged up. Dawn remake zombies were supposed to be evil, psychotic, and violent to add to the scare factor. It basically boils down to the fact that Romeros movies were more about social commentary, and dawn remake wanted to be scary and intense to fit in with the modern idea of horror.

I went on a bit of a tangent there, but I hope it clears things up a bit.

14. RockChick

RockChick New Member

was it ever mentioned in the movie? I saw it a while ago but cant really remember... I have it here, so maybe I should watch it.

I cant believe tho that they made a color version for the dvd... tsk.

15. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

They say it on the news, and one scientist says he thinks it. But it's never really established. It's all speculation as everybody is dying.

16. Lance1019

That a boy! yeah, It was only speculation. What you are thinking of with the radiation was in there. But it was never confirmed. Read my above post about russians and all that. Its in there. But this guy above, we are brothers now. Not really, but yeah, he has the idea right.