Zinc and Magnesium

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ryazbeck, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

Anyone supplement these? If so, about how much would you say you take daily?

I take:
    Zinc - 75mg
    Magnesium - 1100mg

I was taking:
    Zinc - 45mg
    Magnesium - 300mg

I could tell I had more energy, and much better, harder workouts and of course all the little things that go along with a mildly raised test level. But I decided to up my dosages to see if I notice any more changes.

2. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

I take them morning, lunch and after workout. If workout is midday then I take it after workout and around my last meal.

3. pt

pt New Member

That's alot of Zinc :eek3:

The recommendations for daily intake vary between 12-15 mg per day for men or 8-12 mg for women, and the UL (tolerable upper intake) is 40 mg. A low dose zinc supplement should be all that is needed to prevent a deficiency, although up to 30 mg is commonly taken with relative safety. The most important concern with zinc supplementation is the possibility of copper deficiency (11), and if you choose to use high doses of zinc (40 mg+ per day) the general recommendation is an extra 100 mcg of copper for each 10 mg of zinc.

4. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

Well I'm taking a multivitamin and daily I will be getting 6mg of copper or 6000mcg

5. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

i dont understand how taking a shitload of a vitamin/mineral will cause the body to increase its production of products using those vitamins/minerals as substituents. i'm pretty sure test levels are pretty highly regulated by other hormonal means.

its kinda like saying that elevated cholesterol levels will increase testosterone, since cholesterol is used to produce steroid hormones like test.

any articles/links on this?

6. pt

pt New Member

http://www.1fast400.com/?ingredients_id=9

ZMA is a combination of nutrients that are beneficial to the athlete. Zinc deficiency is common among athletes and compromises athletic performance, immune function, and testosterone levels. Physical activity also depletes magnesium levels, and a study with magnesium orotate in triathletes found it to significantly improve performance on all three events and reduce cortisol. A number of possible benefits for athletes from vitamin B6 have been identified, including improved neural function, increased red blood cell count, improved energy utilization, and greater resistance to stress. ZMA is usually taken before bed and has a reputation for improving sleep quality.

http://www.1fast400.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=1041

7. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

I spent 5 dollars on 130 multivitamins where the serving size is 1 pill and 3 bucks on the magnesium/calcium/zinc supplment. Its not like I'm blowing alot of money, so I figured I'd try :dunno:

8. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

Thats weird, I feel poopie that if I DONT take mine and I eat like crap. I actually have alot of energy on this diet, <2000 cals and taking fish/flax oil and the previously stated supps.

9. pt

pt New Member

:werd: but eating junkfood is expensive.

10. etech

etech New Member

I just recently started taking 800mg of magnesium oxide a day. 400mg twice a day, morning and evening. Yes, I know the oxide isn't that highly bioaviable , but it was cheap and local.

I seem to be feeling better, less tired in the afternoon and my blood pressure has dropped about 10 on the systolic.

WholehealthMD

If you have any type of kidney or heart disease, consult your doctor before taking magnesium.

Ailments
    Dosage
    ADHD
    500 mg a day. Available in a powder form that can be mixed with juice.
    Angina 400 mg twice a day
    Arrhythmia 400 mg twice a day
    Asthma 400 mg twice a day. May be partially covered by your daily multivitamin/antioxidant.
    Bronchitis Acute: 400 mg twice a day until recovered.
    Chronic: 400 mg twice a day
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 400 mg twice a day
    Chronic Pain 400-600 mg a day
    Congestive Heart Failure 400 mg twice a day
    Constipation 400-800 mg a day as needed
    Crohn's Disease 400 mg twice a day
    Diabetes 400 mg a day. May be partially covered by your daily multivitamin/antioxidant.
    Fatigue 400-800 mg a day
    Fibrocystic Breast Changes 400 mg a day
    Fibromyalgia 150-250 mg magnesium and 400-800 mg malic acid 3 times a day
    Heart Disease Prevention 400-800 mg a day
    Kidney Stones 400 mg magnesium citrate twice a day
    Multiple Sclerosis 400 mg a day
    Muscle Aches and Pains 400 mg magnesium twice a day
    Osteoporosis 250-400 mg twice a day
    Raynaud's disease 400 mg twice a day
    Strains and Sprains 400 mg twice a day
    Stress 400-800 mg a day
    Stroke 400 mg a day
    Tinnitus 400 mg twice a day

If someone is interested you can also get magnesium by taking a bath in Epson salts.
    http://www.mgwater.com/transdermal.shtml

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.