Zfs, Raid-z

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

We're running a ZFS mirror at a customer site. At the next one, we're going with a beefier Sun Opteron server, and RAID-Z on a 3 disk pool, using 3 x 146GB 10K RPM SAS drives.

The only shitty thing is that ZFS cannot boot yet, so we lose like 13GB per drive to a mirrored UFS partition to boot.

Anyone playing with ZFS? Any of you data center guys?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

RAID-Z isn't bootable? Bullshit. Is it software or hardware-controlled?

Sun should start selling embedded RAID-Z controllers. That would fix that problem right quick.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its not hardware raid. Its not really RAID. Its ZFS. RAID-Z is just what they call striping across multiple disks.

Its not bootable until the next release of Solaris, because it is new. For now you have to boot off a UFS mirror.

Check out the ZFS wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ZFS still works if you format a hardware RAID with it, right? It won't yell at you and then stab itself? That's the approach I'd take; compared to the cost of the equipment you're using, RAID controllers aren't that expensive, especially if you're going to have all those several-hundred-dollar hard drives plugged in anyway.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can use ZFS on top of hardware RAID. But there isn't a reason to, unless you have truly enormous storage needs or something, and even then you would only do so if you hit a performance barrier, and I'm not sure you would. Certainly not in my application. ZFS is better than traditional RAID. Read up on ZFS.