Ze's Progress Report

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mippity, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Updated Pics + all sorts of stuff Page 4

I am approximately 1.5 months into lifting consistently 3 times per week.
    This week I changed to Bill Starr's 5x5 plan. I've never done any low-rep workout before and am doing so after an OT'er sent me the article. I will do it for 9 weeks, then likely switch to another plan.

I've chosen to do it and replace deadlift with row. I have lat pulldown listed right now but I almost lost grip of the bar doing that much weight. Although the writer says not to substitute, I know that if I do deadlift I will end up hurting myself (+ all my joints and my back always hurt). Regarding abs, I will continue to work them out as I have every weekday. I'm doing ellipitical about one hour per week. I try to play basketball about an hour a week also.

Regarding nutrition. I'd taking in about 1800 calories per day. I've been eating low fat. My only problem is my sodium levels are very high. Fitday is the best thing ever :)

Since I've started lifting again, I've dropped from 147 to 141. I'm 5'5 tall.

Here is the plan
    Workout sheet updated.

[​IMG]

Here I be ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Ok, I've started doing real squats (no machine and no smith rack). What a workout!! I'll have to seriously adjust my numbers after I get used to squats.I'd only done them once before and I managed to hurt myself.

Other Stats: Body Fat 13.9% as of August 27.
    Measurements: 8/22.
    Bicep: 12(R) 11.75(L)/ Waist 30.75/ Chest 13.5 (this can't be right haha)/ Calf 13.5/Hips 32/ Neck: 15

Oh and supplements taken.

MRI NO2 on workout days (until the bottle runs out, got it for free)
    Creatine Mono in capsule form
    3 Protein shakes per day (about 25g per shake)
    Multi-vitamen.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  3. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Going to start doing HIIT on the elliptical. I am going to try to do it 5x a week. I did it yesterday, but didn't lift. I'm not sure how much energy I will have after lifting.

I'm down to 139.5 today. As of today and I going to start taking creatine with regularity. Before I had a limited amount and would take half the dose just on lifting days.

4. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i'd eat more if i were you if you're doing the bill starr. maybe upwards to the 2000-2250 range, if not 2500 calorie range. these low rep higher set stuff kill you if you don't get enough food to replenish your system. you're also going to see gains QUICK, so you gotta have food to maintain that.

are you sure you're not making an excuse about the deadlift? not trying to be overly critical here, but it is an excellent lift.

5. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Since I've started, I've been eating more, averaging about 2100. I can't eat much less because otherwise I am starved for energy.

I appreciate criticism about this stuff. I was actually going to ask one of the gym employees to show me how to deadlift today, but by some stroke of luck there were 4 female PTs and no guys on the floor when I was ready to do them. None of them really looked like they would do deadlifts, so I am waiting until Friday. I will see how it feels and go from there. My lower back hurts so bad that I quit doing hypers long ago, so I've been reluctant to try deadlifts :mamoru: :mamoru:

6. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

Maybe your lower back hurts because its sore, but you should add some pull-ups on wednesday before you do crunches, make it like, 4 sets to failure, and once your able to pull-up your body 15 times for 4 sets start doing weighted pull-ups

7. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Next week I will see if I can do deadlifts. Tomorrow I will start doing pull-ups and incorporating them into my routine. Does it matter if they are wide/close pull ups?

And no ... the back is a permenant thing. It's been with me for a few years. :hsd: I have to always take a few ibuprofin before working out.

8. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

Start off with a shoulder width grip and work with that for a couple weeks and like every 2-3weeks switch up the grip

9. Mippity

Mippity New Member

8-30-2007

Tried deadlifts after a personal trainer showed me the correct form. Am I supposed to wait a second between reps? I am still a bit worried about the lower back, but will incorporate it into the workout starting next week.

Today ..
    Pullups 1x10, 1x8, 1x10
    Deadlifts -- working on form, various weights
    HIIT- 9 minutes

10. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

Yeah, while performing deadlifts, you deload the weight on the ground then come back up with the wieght, what type of grip did he have you using?

11. Mippity

Mippity New Member

over-and-under :noes:

12. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I'm still waiting to update the weights on the workout sheet until I feel confortable with deads.

Today Squats ramping up to [email protected], final set was 8 reps @130. Felt DAMNED good.

10x3 dips unweighted. Next week I will start to do it weighted.

Curls were dumbell
    20sx10
    30sx10
    35sx5
    70x5 (barbell)

Tri extension didn't feel like that good of a workout.
    40x8
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10

I'm loving the gym lately!

13. Mippity

Mippity New Member

9-1
    About 100 ab reps of varying exercises
    2x10 pullups close grip

2 minutes of warmup on bike
    5 minutes of HIIT on bike
    7 minutes of HIIT on stairstepper/elliptical thing.

14. Mippity

Mippity New Member

9-03. This is WEEK 3
    --------
    It was hard to get into the gym today because I drank last night and slept on a very uncomfortable sofa (my back hurt so bad this morning :wtc:).
    In fact, even though I took my usual two capsules of tylenol joint relieft I was in pain at the gym. My spine hurt like a sonofabitch each time I unracked the bar at the squating station.

LIEFTS!

Squat 5x5
    90, 120, 135, 160, 190.
    I was grunting like a beast while doing 190. I've never been one of those people who make noises, but I couldn't help it cause it was a challenge

Bench

Rows
    My shoulders have been hurting pretty bad for the past few weeks (it's not a sore pain either ..). I have been considering changing rows out for something else until I feel recovered, but am trying not to mess with anything.
    5x5

Hypers
    5 unweighted
    10x2 w/20 pound weight

Situps
    15 unweighted
    10x1 with 40lb weight
    10x2 with 25lb

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  15. Mippity

Mippity New Member

9-04
    HIIT - 11 minutes. 4 minutes of cardio/warmup @ about 150 bpm

16. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I've changed the plan so I can go forward from now without doubts about anything changing.

I have made the executive decision to replace deadlifts with pullups and seated rows. I will be replacing the tricep extensions with v-bar pushdowns. I have never gotten a good burn out of the extensions and I do well with the v-bar. I've taken out the deadlifts because I don't have health insurance yet and I really need to careful.

That is all.

17. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Why did you replace deadlift with row?

18. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I had reluctantly decided to start deadlift this week, but changed my mind. Between the neck pain I felt in squatting Monday and forgetting about my lack of medical insurance, I thought it would be best not to test my luck. When I get my first real job (and have medical insurance) I will be go for it. Right now it is too risky. I've got the bones and joints of an old man and it sucks. :hsd:

19. Mippity

Mippity New Member

also, if you have any other suggestions for a replacement for deadlift over weighted pullups (when I figure how to weigh myself down) and seated rows, let me know. :wavey:

20. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Well, i mean shit man, if you are that worried about an injury you might as well not lift at all. There is not really an alternative to deadlift, rows and pullups do not cut it.

Lift smart with good form, and you should not have any more of a problem with deadlift than you would with rows or squats.

21. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I guess I will go for it at a low intensity tomorrow. The problem is I am confident with my form of rows and squats. Deadlifts notsomuch.:hsd:

22. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

get your hips low
    stick your butt out
    focus on a point on the wall in front of you that will force you to keep looking up
    keep the bar close
    start with leg drive, trying not to bend at the waist anymore than you already are (maintain the angle of your back)
    drive through your heels
    stand in a controlled manner (don't jerk/hitch)

23. Mippity

Mippity New Member

Thanks ccrooks. I did 'em today. I didn't have any problems with them (I was all the time focused on form) but did accidently arch my back during squats.

Note:
    Since I started taking creatine a week ago, I have bumped my caloric intake up to about 2300-2600 per day. I am going to try to eliminate the empty calories I get from alcohol by only drinking with friends on gameday (football).

Also, I think my squat and deads should be +10 because I have only been counting the bar as 35lbs. Don't feel like changing the formula though.

11-05. Week 3, Wednesday
    Today drained me at the gym. Usually I feel the room to do another exercise -- today I was thinking about getting out of the door and resting. I'm not sure if it was because I am a bit tired today or I had a good workout. I think it is a combo of the two.

Anways, onto the workout. All five repititions. Deadlifts are hardcore.

Squat
    5x95
    5x115
    5x135
    5x135

Incline Bench (w/dumbells)
    5x80
    5x100
    5x120
    (2) 0x140 (Both failed attempts. Could not get them started! A bit embarrasing)
    5x120

Deadlift
    5x85
    5x105
    5x125
    5x155
    5x180

Abs
    15x3 leg lifts

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  24. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I am at a consistent 144 lbs . I had been dropping about 1-1.5 lbs per week and ended up @ 139 (if I had eaten clean/light the day before). Since I started taking creatine and eating a bit more, I have stayed at 144. I suppose it is all water weight -- but it is strange. I had had the goal to be down to 134 by the end of september.

25. Mippity

Mippity New Member

11-07.
    I feel like my back is getting ready to explode anytime. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night because of back pain. Adding to this is the fact that I did a few squats in bad form today.

Today was one of my most challenging days.

Squats. listed as set 1,2,3, etc.
    5x90
    5x120
    5x140
    5x160
    3x190
    8x125

Bench
    5x70
    5x90
    5x100
    5x120