Zapped my iphone last night...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Mar 1, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well i was looking at some speaker docks at bestbuy last night with my iphone... tested a few, then sat it on an altec lansing unit and my iphone died. It looked like it shut off, but it never would turn back on and got real hot when you tried charging it. So i took it to the apple store, 5 min later i walked out with a new phone no questions asked.

APPLE FTMFW.... talk about kick ass support, not to mention the "genius" was super cool. Needless to say, apple has once again reaffirmed why i am happy to buy their products.

2. inamorata

inamorata New Member

nice, did they transfer your contacts?

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

probably not...hopefully he sync'd them through iTunes.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Why were you trying your iPhone in speaker docks? It's not compatible with any.

5. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

So if I have a 4GB iPhone and this happened to me, they would likely replace it with a refurbished 4GB right? since they dont make them anymore. Or would I walk out the door with an 8GB, if so I know what im doing tonight, going to Best Buy and trying out speaker docks :o

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They have plenty of 4GB refurb'd iPhones that they would replace it with. The phone the original poster got was also a refurb.

7. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I've used my iPhone to show plenty of customers how well the docks sound compared to the shitty demos we have set up at best buy - all work after you choose not to turn on airplane mode and none have ever messed up the iPhone. I understand they aren't "made for" use with the iPhone but still...

8. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

its just the video output that doesnt work on anything but the apple dock

9. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

they will give you a 4gb.... they accidentally gave me a 4gb instead of a 8gb first... talk about a mess, but they sorted it out

10. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

That is untrue, the "genius" said there are a few things diffrent about the iphone connector that makes them uncompatable (no he didnt go into details). Needless to say i had no clue it made a diffrence, hence why i tried. However, altec lansing does make a iphone compatible unit, theyre the only company with one out currently

11. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Because i wanted to... fuck if i knew it would screw it up. I had used it on numorous diffrent docks including my jbl that i have here at home with out a hitch. Needless to say, it plugs in and plays on all of them... i just happened to pick the one that fucked it up.

Needless to say im gonna pay more attention to what i plug it into, i have a Nano and am getting a video for my car soon... so i can always use those on the speaker dock anyways.

lesson learned... iphone owners listen up... id hate to see others fuck up their phone because they dont know that if its not iphone approved it could.

12. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

how does the iphone connector differ from the ipod touch?

13. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

should be exactly the same as with most other ipods.

14. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

then the only issue would be that the ipod touch/iphone looks for an apple genuine chip in docks to output video... if its not the apple universal dock, it will only output audio...