Zaino...who uses it here?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 127.0.0.1, Jan 10, 2004.

1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I use zaino on my Acura Legend, and it works rather well. starting with the claybar, then going to Z-1, Z-5, and all of that.

Let me know if you have any secrets, or post pics of your car after zaino.

Here are a few of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Zaino is a waste of time. Too much work and expense for mediocre results. :sad2:

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

First time, yeah a lot of work, definitely not keen on washing my car with Dawn. :ugh: I wouldn't say you get mediocre results though if you like your paint to look like a mirror. The look is similar to Klasse and after using the Klasse twins, I really understand the 'wrapped in Saran Wrap' comments, especially on black. Looks almost like a shiny film of cellophane. It seems to look better on silvers and other light colors.

I guess once you get past the initial application it is relatively easy to use, but if you get any scratches you need to polish out, you have to start over since Zaino is not compatible with other products. That is probably the main thing I don't like, because I've found a mix of products works best for me.

I've seen a few cars that have Zaino on them and they are super reflective, but not deep and wet like a carnauba based wax. I guess it depends on the look you prefer. :dunno:

4. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

You do not have to start all over, They recommend to use the claybar twice a year, and you do not have to wash your car with dawn. You can use the car wash they sell, it will do the same thing, but dawn just has a high alkalyne level, so it takes off any wax, grease, oil that is on the surface of the paint, and lets you just clean the clear coat. i spent maybe 3-4 hours doing my car in the pics above, and that was wash, claybar, wash, the pre-wax i suppose from zaino, then the real wax. the next morning, i reapplied, and it shined for a good two weeks before i even had a problem with dirt/mud, everything would just fly away with the wind, didnt have a dust problem like a normally do with my black car either, for a while at least. I need to do the claybar again soon, but I will probably wait until spring, when it wont snow or anything.

here are a few pics from the zaino website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That looks pretty good to me, i dont see how you can get all that much better than a mirror.

but anyway. thanks for the comments. what waxes do you all use, if it isnt zaino? you mentioned canuba..maybe i will try that out before i do the whole claybar. i was unimpressed by meguiars when i did their full system, and i had heard nothing but good things about zaino, so i went to them....

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

zanio=big pain in the ass and expensive

much better products out there imo

6. Scottwax

You do have to start over if you need to polish out scratches because compounds and swirl removers will remove Zaino...in fact, no wax or polish will stand up to them. If you don't need to do that, then you can just continue to layer Zaino.

Not only does Dawn strip all the oils, waxes, etc out of the paint, but it is hard on the clearcoat. Once or twice won't hurt, but I sure wouldn't make a habit of it. And yes, if you use something other than Zaino to deep clean or polish the paint, you do have to wash with Dawn since Zaino won't bond properly to the oils that are in polishes and swirl removers. The only product I can think of that isn't Zaino that you can use it over is Klasse All In One (paint cleaner) since it doesn't contain any oils.

Those pics from Zaino's site are nice and reflective, but I also like some depth to the paint. Even a lot of devoted Zaino people admit that Zaino is super reflective but lacks the deep wet look of a carnauba, which is why some chose to top Zaino with a carnauba wax.

I'm not knocking Zaino, I know it does a good job for a lot of people. I just prefer the deep wet look of carnaubas and the fact that I can interchange products as needed without having to wash with Dawn.

7. Scottwax

Oh yeah, you want pics?

I used Clearkote's Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze and Carnauba Moose Wax on these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Klasse All In One and Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Scottwax

Here are some shots using Poorboy's products (polish w/carnauba and EX Sealant):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Scottwax

Look at my pictures. Those aren't pulled from some website, I took all of those and listed the products I used.

If you are happy with Zaino, fine, but this isn't going to turn into a Zaino nazi detailing forum like ls1.com. This isn't about what it best period, because there is no single product that will satisfy every single person. It is about finding the right combinations or single product line that works best for you and meets your expections of what a properly polished and waxed/sealed vehicle should look like.

10. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Hey scottwax, where do you get the poorboys products? that solara looks great.

or whatever you used on this....

[​IMG]

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You should be very interested in checking out the Product List, then. As you'll see, Zaino was never mentioned.

12. Scottwax

You can get Poorboy's products at www.poorboysworld.com

Steve, who owns Poorboy's is a great guy to deal with. Right now, I am testing a pure sealant version of his EX Sealant with Carnauba. It seems slightly slicker and should have a bit more durability but still looks about as wet as the version with carnauba wax in it.

On that LX470 hood, I used Klasse All In One and 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection (formerly Platinum instead of 4 Star). It gives you a very reflective look similar to Klasse SG or Zaino, but it has a wetter look. You can get both products through premium auto care.

13. Scottwax

Like EMT said, go through the product list. I use a combination of Meguiars, Clearkote, Poorboys, Klasse and 4 Star products in my detailing business. Clearkote and Poorboy's are especially user friendly. No long waits for the product to dry, compatible with pretty much anything else, etc.

I used to only use Meguiars products and got great results, when I starting adding other products into the mix, I got stellar results.

14. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

Scottwax, I was looking at the poorboys page, and I would really like to use some of the super swirl remover on my car. any special tips for this? and what other stuff should I buy from the site, for an exterior detail. I have a claybar already, but as far as wax goes. I am also going to get a big towel that they sell, all of mine are pretty dead.

Thanks

15. Scottwax

Those mf towels on Poorboy's are really good. I got one with my last order and it is amazingly soft and absorbent.

Without seeing your car in person, it is hard to say which swirl remover you would need, but I'd start with the SSR1 since it is the least aggressive. If you have a PC, then using a polishing pad for the swirl remover and a finishing pad for the Polish w/Carnauba. By hand, check out the swirl removal by hand sticky. Top off with the EX Sealant w/Carnauba and you are set. The reflections should be pretty close to Zaino with a wetter and deeper look.

BTW, after you try Poorboys, post some pics and let us know what you think!

16. Jim McK

Jim McK Guest

IMHO Zaino is the best of the best. :bigthumb:

[​IMG]

17. Scottwax

Jim McK-the Vette looks great!

BTW, just curious....what other products have you tried in addition to Zaino? Have you ever tried topping Zaino with a carnauba paste wax?

18. stoohoo

stoohoo Guest

Dammmm! Nice work on the photoshop scottwax! Or do you purposely overexpose the photos for brighter reflections? :rolleyes: I never saw pavement and wheels so fake white before.

19. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

I don't think he Photoshops his pictures- I think he just plays with the levels a bit in an image editing program, but for the most part, it's his photography skills that create these pictures... I remember reading that he was a photography major in school or something ;)

Scary how much info strangers can know about you, isn't it? :p

20. bmf

bmf Guest

Just to illustrate stoohoo's point and for all of us who are crappy photographers, here's two pics of the same car. First 2 pics taken by Scottwax, second 2 taken by the owner of the car. Can you tell a diff? I sure as shit can:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure Scottwax is a good detailer but he's an even better photographer!!

21. Scottwax

You want the negatives and original prints? I'll be glad to send them to you so you can see those pictures are not played with in any way, shape or form. I'm willing to put up $1000 that the negatives and prints will show that nothing has been played with at all.

White pavement? Yeah, if you are shooting something in the shade while the sun shines on the pavement behind the vehicle. Can't do anything about that. I don't always have the leeway to move the vehicles to all over the place to get the best light balance.

I use a Nikon N60 35mm camera and Kodak High Definition ASA 400 print film and have it developed at Wolf Camera. I get a set of prints and a picture CD (which I could also send you). I then resize and compress the pictures using the image optimizer from www.xat.com . Resizing and compressing does nothing to affect the look of the actual picture.

Do you honestly think I would have been in business full time almost 10 years now with 94% of my business either repeat or referral if I wasn't damn good at what I do? Do you really think I would keep detailing Lamborghinis, Porsches, S-Class Mercedes, 7 Series BMWs and rare cars like BMW M1s if I wasn't at the top of my game?

22. Scottwax

bmf-Imprezza 13 used a digital camera for those shots. Print film is still superior. BTW, here are my shots from that detail when Phil took those pics.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, stoohoo, try to claim I overexposed thses pics on purpose :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No (to use your words) 'fake white pavement' in either one.

23. stoohoo

stoohoo Guest

Posted by scottwax:
    "Not only does Dawn strip all the oils, waxes, etc out of the paint, but it is hard on the clearcoat. Once or twice won't hurt, but I sure wouldn't make a habit of it. And yes, if you use something other than Zaino to deep clean or polish the paint, you do have to wash with Dawn since Zaino won't bond properly to the oils that are in polishes and swirl removers. The only product I can think of that isn't Zaino that you can use it over is Klasse All In One (paint cleaner) since it doesn't contain any oils."

Do you know what your talking about? That paragraph is full of mistakes in inaccuracies. Dawn is not hard on clearcoat. It's a wives tale propgated by hacks like you. In one post you say Zaino can't be used with other products. Then you say it can but it needs to have a dawn wash first. No not true. You can use Z7 or even a Z6 wipe before putting on Zaino. Klasse doesn't contain oils? What do you mean? Zaino don't have oils either. Jesus man get a clue.

Heres where I win $1000 from scottwax:
    "You want the negatives and original prints? I'll be glad to send them to you so you can see those pictures are not played with in any way, shape or form. I'm willing to put up $1000 that the negatives and prints will show that nothing has been played with at all."

Ok smarty boy. Tell me, did your magic camera remove the license plate information from Imprezza's 944? Look at the shot from behind. You removed the license plate info right? You can send me casssh beotch.

Finally: "Do you honestly think I would have been in business full time almost 10 years now with 94% of my business either repeat or referral if I wasn't damn good at what I do? Do you really think I would keep detailing Lamborghinis, Porsches, S-Class Mercedes, 7 Series BMWs and rare cars like BMW M1s if I wasn't at the top of my game?"

I think you do most of those cars for one guy the one that owns the strip club right? So without him you have nothing. Since you're his own personal little Biff, you do whatever he tells you to. "Yes sir Mr. Marty, Just finishing that Second coat of Wax right now!" right?

A real detailer wouldn't run his business from a bag in the back of his ratty 500thousand mile Accord and then post pictures on a board populated mostly by kids who cant even drive. So pay me my $1000 you assthirsty manslammer or eat your words beeeetch!

24. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

wow, touchy subject here now... i'd say ibls1.com but I guess it's a little too late for that ;)

25. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

A person seeking to make money will do what he or she likes to get it. I drive my 110 mile Civic to peoples houses to detail their cars. They don't mind it at all. As for this board, i've been getting business from it and so has Scott. There is not a damn problem with this problem other than haters like you.