Z06 Vs. 03 Cobra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by butthair, Jan 31, 2006.

1. butthair

butthair New Member

2. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

who wins?

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Did you watch it? The Z06 won but they claimed the blower belt was slipping on the Cobra.

4. SP

SP New Member

very nice video! I loved the T2 theme music. Yeah you could hear the S/C whine dropping in pitch. That's what can happen with modified blowers though, so 7.0L LS7 FTW. :cool:

5. machine81

machine81 New Member

I appreciate the video. I've been wanting to see how these two compare to each other. The music is great too.

However, the grainy nighttime video sucks. Plus, I'd rather have seen stock vs. stock.

I'd love to see these two guys on a drag strip.

6. Camaro > rice

Camaro > rice New Member

IBY2kAccordsaysthecobrashouldhavewonbecausetheZ06hasaninferiorinterior

7. 72SSAbody

72SSAbody New Member

After market tensioner is worth its weight in gold. My '03 Cobra even has issues in stock pulley size with belt slippage.

I do love hitting the track and putting the C5 Z06 guys to shame. Egos be damned.

Fun stuff.

8. I kinda wanted to LOL at the ricer excuses, but then realized that that cobra was holding pretty close and the S/C did sound funny. awesome cars.

9. butthair

butthair New Member

The belt was definately slipping, but he should be prepared with that and not use it as an excuse. Its like saying you lost because you ran out of Nitrous, its your own fault it happens.

10. fudd

fudd New Member

qft

11. whathappened2u

whathappened2u New Member

Yeah but give that C5 Z06 a supercharger and it wouldn't even be close. I love how Cobra guys talk trash about beating NA vettes.

12. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Then will you give the Cobra a bigger motor to even out the displacement difference?

BTW - it was a C6 Z06 in the video.

13. SP

SP New Member

ya run what ya brung.

In this case the cobra lost, and better luck next time.

14. machine81

machine81 New Member

+1

15. DAD DICK

DAD DICK MAKE AMERICA GROPE AGAIN OT Supporter

I really want to run an 03 Cobra. What's a typical basic bolt on SC Cobra run?

16. August Burns

August Burns New Member

:rofl: :rofl: its factory. get off your high pedestal and go back to your midlife crisis

17. Blanket

Blanket New Member

Yep. Just because the belt slipped doesn't mean you wouldn't have lost anyways. Get the car fixed and race again. :greddy:

18. whathappened2u

Sounds fair to me, I would love for Ford to step up to the plate and make a High Performance V8. They have been losing the HP war for a long time now. I also give a ton of Credit to GM for sticking with the pushrod motor, it's a whole lot smaller and a whole lot lighter than the Modular motors in the fords. When you step back and look at it, it really is sad that pushrod V8 witn one cam and 16 valves can make more power than the ford motor with 4 cams and 32 valves. Even when you compare the LS1 and the 5.4 NA cobra motor of the same years the LS1 wins.

19. whathappened2u

Mid life crisis? Quarter life crisis maybe...

20. August Burns

August Burns New Member

i love fords 5.0s but pushrods are so inefficient. sorry but mod motors can be equally as fast or faster. take a look at www.seanhylandmotorsport.com

21. August Burns

August Burns New Member

oh i forgot the other vette guy excuse. " You cant compare a cobra to a vette" why not just because the cobra is cheaper and can keep up/beat your vette.

22. whathappened2u

Cheaper yes, keep up/beat yes, but only in straight line performance. Vette wins hands down in all other areas of performance. If all a car does is go fast straight, I have zero interest in it. I want something that does it all, accleration, braking, handling etc... I realize Mustangs can achieve that, but not without spending a lot of money. Plus no matter how much money you throw at a mustang, it is still heavy pig compared to a vette.

23. SP

SP New Member

This just isn't true. Modern pushrod engines are extremely efficient. While the imports were trying to get 190-200hp out of smaller OHC 4-valve V6 engines and 27-28 mpg, GM was already making that power and way more torque and 30 mpg with their 3800 Series II pushrod engine. The LX9 3.5L V6 in the Malibu gets 32 mpg which is the best V6 mid-sized mileage you can get. Ford's DOHC 3.0L Duratec with the same horsepower but way less torque is well below that in terms of mileage. An LS1 V8 with a 6spd makes 350hp stock and can get 29 mpg on the highway. The LS7 makes 505hp and gets 26 mpg. It's the most powerful engine to avoid the gas guzzler tax in the U.S. There are plenty of engines out there with SOHC, DOHC, 4-valve and VVT setups that make far less overall power for just the same or even poorer fuel mileage.

And then you can throw in the already mentioned point that pushrod engines are significantly more compact, take up less space, are lighter, cheaper to produce and manufactuer, etc. Isn't Ford coming out with some 6.2L OHV V8 to compete with the Hemi and the GM LS series?

24. St. Anky's

St. Anky's www.ZBoardShop.com OT Supporter

After market bolt-ons are worth their weight in gold. My '05 GT even has issues in stock tire size with EXTREME slippage.

I do love hitting the track and putting the C5 Z06 guys to shame, or at least making them go "what the...?". Egos be damned.

Fun stuff.

...wish i had street radials cuz id be running ~12.3 if i could pull a 1.7 60' instead of a 2.1

25. 311-420

311-420 New Member

should have had a gatorback belt before doing that race. it was clearly loosing boost, but he should have been prepared.