GUN Yugo SKS as a first...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Volkl, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I grew up in a gun free household, and was only exposed to guns in the form of .22s at boy scout camp. Now that I am older, I have developed an interest in firearms. I have a good friend that has always been around guns, and will be taking me to the range soon. I fear I might get hooked. I have been looking around, and Yugo SKSs seem to be real cheap. What is everyone's opinion on this gun as a first gun. I want something that will be somewhat accurate and easy to learn gun basics on such as cleaning.

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I always suggest a .22 for a first rifle, but if you really have to have something with more power, then a SKS would be great.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

my norinco SKS was my first one. it's fine. ammo is cheap, in comparison to other things, and they're easy to take care of. i'd say go for it. just get all the cosmolene out of the inside. if you leave any in the gas tube, it'll come spraying out the first time you shoot it. it's just messy, that's all.

4. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

Man I'm tired of seeing all these Yugo's on the market...

5. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

also do yourself a favor and look at Saiga - basically an ak-47 carabine, can be had for between $150 and 200, and a good, reliable rifle, i like it better than an sks, although its almost the same thing.

6. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

I picked up a good condition Yugo SKS for $135 including taxes at a gunshow :)

The ammo is damn cheap and it is very fun to shoot. Never really tested it's accuracy, just occasional plinking on my land. Make sure that the serial parts all match and that you get good gun cleaning kit if you get one. The cosmoline took several hours to clean it away.

It's a pretty solid first gun. The bayonet is also cool as hell (though I cannot find any practical use for it :o )

7. footratfunkface

frog gigging?

8. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

HOW TO CLEAN COSMOLINE OFF A RIFLE.

Step 1: Make sure wife isn't home.
    Step 2: Disassemble Rifle.
    Step 3: Unload Dishwasher.
    Step 4...

9. footratfunkface

if you feel like taking the whole thing out of the stock, you can throw the stock in the oven for a while and cook it out of the wood. step 1 still applies. i don't know the temperatures or times for this, since i've always used the range cooking method, whereby you just load up several hundred rounds on stripper clips, and shoot them as fast as you can. this will heat up the wood, in addition to the metal, and cook the cosmolene out of it a LITTLE. over time, you get more and more out. overall, it's not a problem. if you get the cosmolene out of the workings, you're set. it looks like really gross earwax.

10. mrbill

mrbill New Member

my uncle gave me a Tec-9mini that had never been fired(still had the zip tie holding the bolt open). the cosmoline had gelled in various parts. a generous application of Break-Free and nylon brush solved that problem(granted the Tecs have no wood). even though i have no experience with ak/sk's, i would think that if you remove the metal components and scrub them with Break-Free or a similar cleaner and use a varnish remover on the stock, that should get all the cosmoline out. i could(and foot will correct me if i am) be wrong.

11. footratfunkface

yes, some sort of laquer thinner or such similar solvent works best for getting really old cosmolene of of stuff. you can get a bowl or something and fill it, and soak parts in it while you scrub the easy stuff. a toothbrush is really handy for this, and other cleaning jobs.

12. mrbill

mrbill New Member

lol, i got an old Reach in my cleaning box :rofl:

13. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

I will be getting my first SKS this weekend. A friend of a friend went in on a good deal for an crate of new Yugo's so I got it for right under a hundred. Was never really interested in an SKS but couldn't pass up the deal. I'll proly get hooked when I start upgrading components and such... We'll see...