YTF doesn't anyone make a tablet with dedicated video AND a DVD burner?!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 31, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's all I want. I gave up on getting a 1280x1024 screen a while ago; now all I want is something other than a barebones video card and the freedom to not have to carry a separate box around in case I need/want to read a disc. What is so fucking difficult about integrating those two features at the same time?!?

It's like the tablet manufacturers are intentionally sabotaging their sales.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

space and power would be a problem.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well, the Lenovo X61 has an Intel X3100 graphics chip, which isn't really "dedicated" but it's at least better than vanilla. Except Lenovo figures nobody would actually want to have a DVD drive handy, so they put it in a big fucking dock that the damned thing has to be set down on. Totally useless.

Meanwhile, the ASUS R1F has a built-in slot-load DVD burner, but it uses the Intel 945 integrated graphics, which is barely good enough to run Vista Aero.

It's not like the DVD drive would be sucking power CONSTANTLY, they could jigger it around where the DVD drive slows down if the dedicated graphics have to kick into high gear, or something.