GUN You're OC'ing and someone reaches for your gun...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HisXLNC, Jan 3, 2010.

1. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

this hasn't been posted in the past few days

3. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Good thing I came along. :eek3:

4. sickmonkey44

sickmonkey44 01

open carry I can understand if you are doing something where you may need a gun.

If you are at bestbuy that's what CC is for.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Hand fighting? How about weapon retention? or situational awareness?

or concealed carry? ;)

i understand he came out on top in that situation but things could have been a lot different.

i'm all for standing up for your rights but this guy would be going through none of this had he not been o/c. now he's facing coming out some pretty big $$$$ for a lawyer even if he's free and clear plus the potential for a civil suit.

i LOL'd at this:

Yes, very irrelevant. Had he been carrying concealed the guard would have still went for his gun. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

oh jesus, the brain dead "zomg open carry is bad" argument

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I love how the guy retained his firearm, fended off his attacker, yet OC is still a "fail"

:ugh:

He did everything right, everything people say you "need to do" when you OC, yet the mindless chatter is still babbled.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I understand you might not agree with my opinion but "brain dead?" Give me a fucking break.

A lot of people don't consider potentially having to pay for a lawyer in a criminal and possibly civil trial "everything right."

Cut the fucking crap. If you want to have an intelligent discussion do so. Don't reflexively call any opinion that differs from your own "brain dead" or "mindless chatter." It turns you into a fucking hypocrite.

What if next time the person that tries to disarm him decides they want to knife him in the process? Or they also have some H2H skills?

Some of us just don't like the idea of advertising that we're carrying for a number of reasons, all of which are probably just brain dead mindless chatter so they needn't be mentioned.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Because they are the same kind of arguments you find on the Brady Campaign website.

Someone could shoot someone concealed carrying in the face. I guess you don't need to conceal carry!

Guy did everything right.

10. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

thread lock in 3.2.1

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

No shit, Sherlock. We're not talking about being randomly shot in the face.

Same kind of arguments as on the Brady site? Give me a break.

No matter how you want to twist my words and make me sound like I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, this guy would not be going through what he is and will if his gun hadn't been out in the open.

I understand and have not said that the guy didn't "do everything right."

The point is that "doing everything right" is better than not having to do anything at all.

People have lost their jobs, families, entire life's savings having "done everything right" in terms of defensive shootings, etc when their life depended upon it.

Why put yourself through it if it's not necessary?

Don't construe my post to read that I don't think people should open carry. That is their prerogative. What I'm saying is that for me and many others it's not the most tactically sound nor is it the most socially acceptable way to be able to defend yourself or your family from harm if necessary.

I'm going to bed, I'll be back tomorrow to refute your intelligent, well thought out posts with your mindless drivel.

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

there are plenty of reasons to open carry and there are plenty of reasons to concealed carry.

conversely, there are plenty of reasons to do not choose one over the other.

There have been plenty of people that didn't have a chance to defend themselves while CC'ing. There have been plenty of people that have had OC'ing alone deter criminals.

So yeah, lets just dismiss OC because you could have some dumb security guard try and take your firearm.

13. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

It's not about dismissing OC. It's about risk/reward. What are the chances that any of us that either OC or CC will have to draw our gun? Most likely slim to none. Is all the potential bullshit that Open Carry elicits worth it? Well that's a personal preference, if you want to OC fine go ahead and more power to you. I choose to CC for many reasons including most likely being able to avoid scenarios such as what was posted in the OP.

14. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

if i'm walking out of bestbuy with a new laptop, i think i'd less likely be robbed if i had a gun on my hip.

15. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I don't know what's gone on in the past couple days, but I read the original georgiapacking thread when it was first posted on the 29th. I understand the TS over there has edited some posts on advice of legal counsel, but the only possible civil suit is going to be against the security guard for assaulting the OCer. He's not sure if he's going to pursue that, but it's certainly a possibility. The security guard assaulted the OCer unprovoked and the OCer defended himself. They have multiple witnesses and video.

That said, I don't think OC is bad, but I also think that most of the time, CC is safer if you want to avoid being hassled by law enforcement.

If you have the time and money to fight legal battles and want to make a statement, then by all means, you should open carry 100% of the time.

16. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

If it's about risk vs reward, just don't carry at all. Chances are you'll NEVER need it, and the gun will just cause you trouble. Like in this story.

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Ever notice you don't ever read stories about people being harassed for a gun that you can't see?

18. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Concealed carry is the way to go

19. GlassUser

Ever notice that's not the only kind of trouble there is?

20. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I just shoot them with one of my other guns

21. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

that security guard is an idiot and will be fired. what if that had been an off-duty cop? dude was trying to be a hero and "keep him from shooting up the place" but in reality he just proved how big of an idiot he is.

22. DIAFatty

DIAFatty Guest

security guard is lucky, some people would have shot him with a BUG

23. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'd call Joe_Cool.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Excellent point. Since there are other types of trouble, it's reasonable to subject yourself to more, no matter how unnecessary.

25. GlassUser

Yep, so conceal through those metal detectors, then get pissed off when the greeter screams "HE'S HIDING A GUN!"