SRS "You're not partying enough," so says a friend.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by registeredPORK, Jan 10, 2008.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

So, my friend told me that I don't party enough, or loosen up enough. She thinks I'm a bit uptight, but honestly, sometimes I don't feel like doing those things. Who wants to get drunk and then get a hangover the next day? I've done only once in my life, and it was such a horrible experience.

For instance, for my birthday, I really didn't go out and get drunk because I just turned 21, or I didn't have a huge birthday party. Instead, I have a small birthday party with a few close friends of mine and family and that was pretty much it. Nothing too exciting except for that awesome goodness of an ice cream cake.

For New Years Eve, I just stayed home, played some PC games and that was pretty much it. I watched the ball drop in NYC :dunno:

I'm only 21, enjoy drinking on occasion but don't do it often, and hate the feeling of hangovers so if I choose to not want that, then I won't do it. Am I too uptight? Do I need to 'hang loose' more? I don't know.

:dunno:

2. kiri

kiri New Member

i know how you feel. your friend isn't telling you that because she thinks YOU need to party more, she's telling you because many people drink/party a lot pressure other people into doing it to validate what they're doing. everyone "hangs loose" in their own way, and you're obviously not a recluse or something, so just keep doing what you want.

do you feel uptight?

3. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

You don't have to drink when you go out, and if you do, you aren't obligated to binge drink :dunno:

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Don't let anyone tell you you are socially inept just because our society throws their inhibitions away like confetti.

In other words, it's refreshing that you can have fun by being low-key instead of getting plastered, stoned, etc.

5. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

if you're happy just hanging out and doing what you're currently doing, then who cares what other people think you "should" be doing

6. registeredPORK

I didn't think about that. It makes sense though.

I don't feel uptight at all. I just feel like I enjoy having a different type of 'fun' that might sound weird to others because I'm not drinking, vomiting my intestines out, or meeting different guys.

Very true, although she always go to parties or hang out with people who drinks constantly. I don't like that.

:wavey: I concur. I think I did most of the 'wildiest' things when I was younger. I'm past that 'rebel' stage :mamoru:

I can agree a bit with this although it's not really caring what other people think you should be dong, but more like people mentioning it and you're thinking about it yourself. Just wondering if you are that type of person.

7. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Yeah don't let someone force you to do something you don't want.

I personally am not into clubbing all that much, or binge drinking. My idea of fun is to go out with friends for dinner, then proceed to go to someone's place and chill there, play some poker or watch a movie. if we have some drinks, it's ok, but not party-animal atmosphere.

8. BritishHumpingWitch

BritishHumpingWitch New Member

Just be you.
    ...And if she can't accept you for you and has a problem with it then maybe you need to rethink your friendship???

9. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

wow you didnt go out on your 21st? that makes me feel sad. sure its the responsible thing to do, and i commend that. But you are only young 1 time. You only live once. you dont all the sudden start living when you are 40. have fun with friends thats what lifes about

10. registeredPORK

I didn't go out binge drinking on my 21st. Don't get me wrong, I did have like a drink or two a few weeks later to appease myself of being like, "Hey, I'm 21 now :mamoru:" but that's about it.

I think the whole thing "you're only young once" is some sort of excuse to be irresponsible and do things that you really don't need to do.

You start living once you're doing things that makes you truly happy. I don't think "living" consists of partying every (other) weekend or so and drinking and having hang overs. I truly don't.

I feel pretty content with what I've done.

11. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

/thread

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Well are you unsatisfied with your current lifestyle in any respect vs that of someone who parties and gets out a lot? What is "fun" to you? What do you consider loosening up and getting out of yourself?

13. Yuppy

cool dude; as long as you are happy with your life i dont see a problem with YOUR life style. its your life. Personally I have a lot of fun doing those things on occasion.; but you do only live once, and its great to enjoy the company of friends. i hope you are not just spending the time that you think they are 'wasting parting' alone.

And just kuz you go out, doesnt mean you have to binge drink. if you goto a bar and just have 2 drinks (like i do some nights) you can have a great time with friends and not get a hangover or even drunk. hell you could just drink water or pop all night.

14. Yuppy

personally i do think you should hang loose more.

pc games on NYE? thats depressing. unless you did that with a girlfriend.

and theres 2 ways to prevent a hangover if you cant goto the bar and "just a couple"

1) Drink 32 oz of water when you get home from the bar.
    2) drink 16 oz of Orange juice when you get home.
    3) just drink beer and enjoy sleeping in and having a lazy saturday or sunday.

generally i am only hungover after a night of slamming 20 beers if i wake up before ten.

15. Yuppy

and i dont think you should change at all unless you feel unhappy. booze wont make you happy, but hanging with your friends is more fun that video games (most of the time, not always)

16. kiri

kiri New Member

then you win :dunno:

stop worrying, you're healthy and happy.

17. Yuppy

Ok, I dont really agree its an excuse. Its just a fact. Hurrying up to grow up? Youth is something to be cherished and celebrated. You dont have to drink to have fun. Sitting alone playing video games (even online games) is a waste of a life if that is life.

18. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

If not drinking makes you happy, then stick with it :dunno:

I was in big time party mode in college. I could easily go out and get wasted 5 nights a week. I kinda hit a wall after I graduated. I'm lucky to go out twice on the weekends, usually only once. To be honest with ya, I can't even remember the last time, not counting NYE, I was shitfaced. I'm okay with that. I've realized there's more to life than throwing back drinks like an animal. I'd rather hang out with friends, have a good laugh, and a drink or two. Now, don't get me wrong, I live it up when I need to (i.e. weekend trips to Atlantic City with the girls), but when I'm not living it up, I don't feel down and out on myself.

Moral of the story, do what YOU want to do, not when someone else is pressuring you to do. If you're content with your level of fun, don't let anyone change it. If you change it for someone you're no longer going to be happy. :hs:

19. Yuppy

im in the same boat as shoe princess. 2 times a week is a busy week for me.

i used to drink a lot too. but just do it kuz its something you want to do.

or even better people love a DD. Go out and be with your friends, have 1 beer and a lot of water or soda and then drive them home.

20. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Do what makes you happy. That's some of the best advice I've ever heard.

Everyone else is just a lemming.

21. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

sorry, but being a sober DD is a good way to never want to spend time with those people again :mamoru:

after you've seen people slobbery drunk and taken care of them cause they almost gave themselves alcohol poisoning, it starts to damage the friendship when they are totally unable to control/take care of themselves.

22. Yuppy

maybe find new friends with similar interests?

23. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

i've heard that from people too. my fiance & i are always working so when we get that day and a half of free time we dont want to waste it partying and puking. for his 21st birthday, he & i went out to a nice dinner together - he told everyone that he didn't want to go binge drinking or get drunk, since thats all they kept telling him they wanted to do. for new years eve, i cooked dinner and we watched the ball drop. the year before we DID party the night before NYE, and in 2005 we went to a big party at someone's house. but with everything we do now (building a house, working a lot, planning a wedding), we dont have time to live like we have no responsibilities. plus all that money that'd be spent on alcohol will go towards better thing :dunno: neither of us are big partiers.

24. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I never went to parties and clubs and stuff when I was 21. My friends would go to bars every weekend and I never saw the point, I still don't. I would rather spend quality time with a few close friends watching a movie or just chilling playing a video game.

I still get crap for not wanting to go to the bar and have a few drinks and im 29. I just don't like going to the bar.

25. davidle94

davidle94 New Member

Meh. If you wanna stay home and play pc games and lay low, that's cool too. I myself, like to go out and meet people. You never know who you'll meet and a connection you'll get from meeting that person. You can always stay home, but you can never turn back time.

As far as the drinking, you don't have to binge drink. Just have a few drinks, I call them "chill" drinks.