MMA Your thoughts on krav maga?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Martin Atchet, Sep 13, 2006.

1. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Great for self-defense, not for sport.

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

just like every other martial art it can produce some people that are good and some people that art bad. Depends more on the practitioner than anything really. And from what I've heard (i do not have any experience in krav maga) it is geared mostly for self defense.

3. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i study it and am becoming rather dissatisfied with the school i'm taking it at.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I've heard everything about it ranging from it's a ruthless self defense style, to it's glorified cardio kickboxing with funny pants. :dunno:

5. TigreTek

it really, REALLY depends on the school/instructors.

i've gone to classes with certain instructors and walked away feeling like i learned something useful. i've also gone to class and thought that i'd have been better off sitting in on a TKD class. :mamoru:

6. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

Sounds like a dragon ball move

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I took it for a while. Never got past the first "level" but I feel like I learned a lot of useful stuff. My instructor used to compete in kickboxing though, so he incorporated quite a bit of that and really emphasized combos and good defense. Coolest thing I learned is how to recover quickly after getting kneed in the groin. :bigthumb:

8. Where are you taking it and what level are you? I can't wait to get out of level 1, and go to level 2 and do some sparring. The stuff I've been learning so far seems to be great. I enjoy it alot sometimes but I am already in shape and want to get into more combatives than just pushups and situps for the old folk haha.

That being said I know it is definitely NOT a sport.

9. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Military Krav Maga > civilian Krav Maga.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Hop up and down on your heels. When you get hit your testes swell and wanna go back up into your abdomen. Jumping up and down apperently drops em back down and reduces the pain in the abdomen. Seemed to work well enough the one time I got hit hard (my partner thought i was wearing a cup like I was supposed to). I didn't test it too often. ;)

11. TigreTek

i'm a level 2 and i'm taking it in a school in south florida.

12. Have you gotten a chance to spar in level 2 yet? I love my school, this is my second school also.

13. TigreTek

yes, but not as often as we should. given that i'm 22 and more experienced/aggressive than most of the 30 year olds in the class, i can't really go crazy for fear of hurting them or putting them in a situation where they don't learn anything.

i need to just give up on it and find a place that teaches boxing/muay thai with a little bit of grappling.

14. TigreTek

no shit

15. BrettRT

BrettRT New Member

I'd really like to sit in on a class ran by a knowledgable instructor so I could compare it with what I currently study, Limalama.

16. TigreTek

if that's the case then KM fits in to exactly what i want.

i'm an MMA fan but have absolutely no desire to compete, i just want to be able to dominate the poor motherfucker that starts a fight with me, if i don't have a way to get out of it.

to be totally clear, i'd much rather not have to hurt anyone nor have anyone hurt me.

17. Thats how I feel. I want to be ready, but not looking for a fight.

18. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

yeah, i hope that i learn the exact style taught to the IDF guys, not some stuff some guy mixes up unrelated stuff and just calls it krav maga

19. Poeglove

Poeglove Guest

It's a crapshoot. I've seen it being taught as cardio workouts and I've seen it taught to police officers and I've sparred some people who use it.

20. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's what I'm worried about the most. I don't want to pay money and spend time training just to find out that they're teaching me some watered down form of it. I found a school in Denver that's not too far from my house. By glancing at their website, though, it seems like they cater a lot more towards LEOs. You have to specify whether you're a LEO or a civilian when you join. Either they give LEOs first priority or they teach them stuff that they don't teach civlians :greddy:

Anyone heard of these guys? http://www.coloradokravmaga.com/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  21. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

They teach civilians the same stuff they teach LEO's. Only thing they add with LEOs is stuff on weapons retention and restraining and holding people down.

22. Exactly. The only thing they teach them are things you as a civilian do not need to know. Also at the end of situations there might be a push to make space for an officer to have time to use his weapons if needed.

Here is a link to a conversation about that on another forum. http://12.107.28.178/viewtopic.php?t=890

But if that is really a turn off then you should look into other forms.