MMA Your strength training for MMA's or other martialists.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by nebulous, Apr 19, 2007.

1. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

In what ways do your strength training routines differ from traditional body building or strength training, when you are training for the purpose of mma, or your respective art?

Im am trying to desighn a condition program for myself, but I would like to hear for thoes of you who have been condition for MMA first.

2. Sylva

Sylva New Member

3. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I watch a lot of DVDs

4. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Was it Rich Franklin who had 1 hr routine of non stop lifting on machines?

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

compound exercises. medium load. higher repetitions.

train how you must perform. if your sport is explosive and quick, you shouldn't be running 3 mile jogs (a la wrestler's mentality).

i would do a couple 5 minute circuits.

yes

6. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Yeah that was Rich, It's to train your muscle endurance.. It should be trained as much as cardio. because sometimes even when you have more than enough gas left in your tank, your muscles are so tired that you cant even lift your arms up anymore or throw punches. watch the cyborg vs manhoef fight.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I do explosive movements and crossfit, mostly from that ross training site. I bought a 15 pound medicine ball and added it to my cross fit routine and it just kills me.

Only excersizes I do at a weight gym are deadlifts and chinups. I'll throw in some squats if I have time.

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Olympic weight lifting and core building for explosiveness. Dead lifts are your friend.

9. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

grappling in itself is great for building grappling strength...

Heavy bag and shadow boxing are great ways to condition for striking.

Some will tell you that not much else is necessary... others say add in calisthenics... others say add in barbell complexes and lots of cardio... others say do all of the above PLUS heavy strength training to increase maximal strength.

I think it varies fighter to fighter, and unless you're pro then you should do whatever kind of conditioning you enjoy best. No point spending all your free time overtraining to be a great fighter. Personally I've pretty much just been doing bag work every once in a while and lots of weight training lately, and i htink i'd be a more devastating opponent to someone after a few months of this than last year when i was doing lots of heavybag, calisthenics, and some sparring.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I do HIT programs 1 excercise per muscle group 8 - 12 reps one set per muscle group 3 times a week. Its the most effective way to train for endurance and stregnth

12. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

No, that is the best way to train for hypertrophy, i.e. building muscle.

The best way to train for medium length endurance is to do 4-5 sets with 15-30 reps, with a weight you can handle, using a 1-2 minute rest. As Skeletor said, barbell complexes are a great way to accomplish this, as well as circuits of free weights and supersets. Other ideas would be to mix technical training (heavy bag, etc...) with weights in a circuit.

A fighter will not just have 1 routine, they will have a periodization program for the months leading up to the fight to have their body in the ideal physical condition for the fight. According to Bompa, it would go, training for hypertrophy, then maximum strength and then a mix of power training and muscular endurance. There are also conjugate periodization programs, and others, as this is just one way to do it. But you get the general idea, build up your body, and then fine tune it for what you'd need in a fight.

In terms for actual lifts, Olympic lifts are probably the best bet, along with squats, deadlift and bench. From there it's probably best to get into unilateral leg and arm work, such as walking lunges with dumbbells, one armed snatches, pistol squats, one legged squats, etc... As well, the overhead press is nice and functional.

Along with all this weight training, it should be followed by a regime of technical training. So whether it be wrestling, BJJ, muay thai, full MMA, boxing; you'll have to work in each of these as well.

For a casual practioner, I'd recommend starting with a basic hypertrophy program and get to the weight you want to be at. Then work on a strength program for a couple of months, from there you can start working on your muscular endurance and constantly change that up to reflect your goals.

This is probably too long already and everybody will debate it, but it's as far as I know.

13. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Oh I forgot cardio, which should be all the time. HIIT, swimming, skipping, and any other sport which would involve the same types of endurance like rugby, soccer, etc...

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

cool av... never realised he was wearing pride gloves.