Your Pick For Best Car SQ-Oriented Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

The best I have ever heard in person is a W7 Running about 1000 watts. (limited exposure to range of set ups.)

2. Cashishift

Cashishift Well-Known Member

Image Dynamics IDMAX

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Cleanest setup I've heard was 4 DLS Ultimate 12's set up IB in a Civic. Cant remember how much power they were running and I cant find a pic of the system diagram.

Loudest still has to be 2 12W3's in a Camaro. Not sure how much power that setup was running either, probably somewhere in the 800W range.

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Oz audio 250L

5. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

Any sub can be made to sound beautiful given enough care with the enclosure design. However, my vote goes to the Focal Utopia series drivers. One beautiful piece of hardware. The MB Quart PWE series drivers are a clear second, which isn't a bad thing.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

No.

7. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

I beg to differ. In my experience, the enclosure is 95% of the design. I've had crappy $15 Radio Shack speakers hitting cleaner than a $700 W7. It's all in the preparation.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Uhh...

Was the $700 W7 in a cardboard box playing underwater with a 5 watt amp clipping and driving it at 2KHz?

Sorry, but you'd be a millionare if you could design a box that would make a $15 radioshack speaker play better than a w7 in even a below average box.

That is a HUGE claim, PLEASE back it up.

9. DJ_Mittens

DJ_Mittens Guest

This guy name Erskine Fenty makes some of the craziest enclosures I've ever seen. And he has made some shitty speakers sound awesome.

http://www.efmax.info/

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

that guy is a photographer, even with a good enclosure there is no way a 15 dollar radio shack speaker is going to perform as well as a properly installed w7 unless there is the provided scenario that veo proposed.

:bsflag:

No way in hell.

11. 04

04 Guest

I wouldnt put that much emphesis on the enclosure design over the actual transducer (as it would take a very very poor enclosure for the w7 to be in), but I do agree that most speakers can be made to sound pretty good with good enclosure design.

12. denim

denim New Member

I personally feel the W7 is not the sub it is touted to be,

one of my SQ favorites is the Crystal CMP

the new Stereo Integrity D2 is coming out soon, and I might be able to demo it

13. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

In no particular order:
    IDMAX
    Oz Audio Matrix Elite
    Phase Linear Aliante
    Aura Sounds (rare, never heard one, but supposed to be a godsend)

I feel the w7's sq is no better then my XXX 18's. Mostly, i think that is attributed to "hearing what you want to hear".

14. spicaly

spicaly Active Member

I have an eclipse aluminum from a few years ago and I think it sounds really nice

15. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Wait for the new Arc Flatline subwoofer to come out. It's supposed to be a W7 killer.

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i forgot about Arc Audio, thank you for the reminder, i added their site to my audio bookmark list.

Here's a hypothetical question, could you take a high end home audio sub and a power converter and effecitvely run it in a car? I know it can be done as far as hooking one up (one of my friends tried it, total ghetto set up, didnt hear it though) But I was thinking, if you mounted it in your car (maybe with a stand alone battery) would it work out?? Just an idea.

17. remike

remike the second coming

No RE fans here? I vote fore RE XXX 12" maybe even 10". My friend has a 15" XXX powered by an Autotek sx1700d and it's the cleanest bass I've ever heard.

18. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

I've never experienced an IDMax, but I currently am running 2 IDQ12 V.2s off of a Rockford Fosgate 700S amp and the sound is absolutely insane - definitely on par if not better than the W7. My vote is for the IDMax, based on my experiences with Image Dynamics.

19. johnson

johnson New Member

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12". Nothing to compare it to but a few people on SD say its up there for SQ. I have one for my HT setup and im happy.

20. 04

04 Guest

You could do that but you'd probably get a lot of noise picked up. And you'd need a pretty big power converter too.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm, never heard of those, looked into them, thats an insane price.

22. johnson

johnson New Member

insane = inexpensive or expensive to you?

23. Ronin

Ronin Guest

inexpensive, thats a real good price if it performs well.

24. johnson

johnson New Member

25. denim

denim New Member

I am demoing the prototype Stereo Integrity MAG D2 right now, and it is one of the cleanest subs I have heard to date, I am saving for a pair once they hit production