Your opinions on i-drive from BMW.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Straight_Six, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Straight_Six

Straight_Six Guest

I read a lot of negative opinions about i-drive from car mags and was expecting the i-drive system to be complicated as all the critics say.

However, i had the chance to test drive a 7 series with the i-drive, and it seemed quite intuitive to me...the controller works a lot like a mouse, and its all select and click basics that any one who can operate a basic computer should be able to use.

I personally like it...i think after getting used to it after i would be able to memorize the motions to operate all the functions without even looking down. And it makes the interior look a whole lot cleaner by minimizing the buttons and dials needed.

have you tried it and what do you think?

2. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Yes, I have tried it and I think it is overkill. i-Drive is a good idea but it is flawed for the following reasons: It is too complex for most people who require instant gratification without having to read a novel sized instruction book. i-Drive tried to do too much. Simple settings like air temp and radio stations, etc, should not require you to toggle and click for three years in order to get the resolution you want. And possibly the worst thing of all: i-Drive breaks down and causes all sorts of havoc with the car's management system, further adding to the frustration. I think it is a waste and requires far more refinement before it should be included in the cars.

3. F1fan

F1fan Guest

The user interface is not that complicated however, as Curiousgeorgem3 points out it over kill for simple items like changing the radio station or adjusting the fan speed or temperature. There is nothing wrong with some simple buttons for frequently accessed items. I love technology in auto's but this this type of system is overly complicated right now.

The interface will just have to be tweeked. A customizable home screen may be idea or "hot keys" that can be programed by the user to do certain functions. Sort of like how cell phones have evolved to let you program the key pad to do something instead of digging into the menus to do something.

4. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

I tried it in the 5-series, and it quite frankly annoyed the hell out of me. Plus the way in which the display is mounted in the second cowling looks very ugly.

However Audi's MMI system shows how this type of controller should be done. Its intuitive, the buttons around it mean you dont need the controller for every selection. And also that it still has normal aircon controls means there's less need to rely on the MMI system.

5. curiousgeorgeM3

Personally I think that 90% of Audi and BMW drivers would love it if there were no i-Drive/MMI. I have played with MMI and it is better than i-Drive but still really unnecessary.

6. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I used I-Drive in the 7 series and fucking gave up trying to use it anymore. 8 directions of movement is just unnecessary. I then tried it in the 5 series with the new "simplified" controls and found it to be equally as frustrating. Just give me a touchscreen if you want to combine things into an interface like that.

7. curiousgeorgeM3

:werd: x 992749729479274