Your opinion on age difference

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Orly_Yarly, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Orly_Yarly

Orly_Yarly New Member

Would just like to know what your opinions/views on age difference in a relationship are..

Is age just a number? Absolutely not? Depends on the circumstances?

I'm not talking about a 15 and 30 year old. Naturally, thats illegal. I have known several couples, most of my life, with a significant age difference between them, ranging from 5-7 years to as much as 20 apart. My best friends mom and dad are 20 years apart. Whats the big deal?

My views are, and have always been, age is just a number. If it's not of legal age yet, wait it out. If you can find someone you can truly call your other half, get along with, have fun together, be yourself, be compatible, etc, and love one another, who are you to say what a person should or shouldn't do, just because of age?

Ready, Set, Go!

2. Tsunami

Tsunami New Member

Generally, there's a huge power gap in the relationship.

3. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

My only problem with age is I find the older the woman, the louder her clock is. I hate clocks, and therefore am not a big fan of older women. If there is no clock, I have no problem, age is just a number.

4. THoC

THoC New Member

i have some opinions and first hand experiences on it.

do i think age is just a #? yes i do.

do i think it can come into play when thinking of a long term relationship (as in marriage)? yes i do.

im 32. i have been through a lot of RS and know what they are like. what to expect. how to work on issues. when to walk away (well, this is one is debatable lol).

would a 23 yr old who has never been in a RS longer than 6 months know the work that it takes to make a LTR work? possible. but probably not bc she is still discovering herself.

5. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

The bigger the age gap, the more likely the two people will be in different places maturity wise. Career, kids, personal stability, emotional development, etc. are all affected by age and to deny that is just foolish. Age isn't just a number. It's the amount of years of experience you've had on this planet and our experiences to a large extent define who we are.

6. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

depends on the circumstances. if people have a huge age gap but are in the same life stage, then it could work. i feel its more about life stage than age i think

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

8. THoC

THoC New Member

true, but only to an extent. while i believe there would be issues with a 32 yr old dating a 23 yr old..... that same age gap would probably not matter as much with a 36 and a 27 yr old.

its more about where they are in their stages of life than the actual gap in age.

9. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

Women mature at a younger age, so dealing with an older man ain't so tough for them. Where it becomes an issue is when they expect you to die before them leaving them alone. I have dated women alot older than me and alot younger than me.

10. ForgottenSpiral

I'll agree that the younger you are the the more the age difference matters. A 50 and a 60 year old are more likely to be on the same level than a 20 and a 30 year old would be.

Again, I'm just saying age matters. People act like it means nothing and it's just experience and where you are in life that matters, but they neglect the fact that experience and where you are in life are related directly to age.

Think about it like dick size. Just because people fit together differently doesn't mean "size doesn't matter". It just means you need to find someone who fits you. Yes, it's possible that a 25 year old and a 35 year old could be perfect for each other, but the odds are significantly lower than if it were two 30 year olds. Age isn't everything, but it matters.

Edit: And if a young person is dating someone who is closer to their parents' age than their own, odds are pretty good there are some issues there.

Also I get really tired of people saying someone is mature for their age. Even if they are mature in some ways, they're still going to be immature in others. And when dealing with relationships, all types of maturity/immaturity will have an impact.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  11. ForgottenSpiral

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what people's ages are who post in this thread (I'm about to turn 30 :noes:).

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Usually they have daddy issues.

Plus, people with big age gaps really aren't gonna have that much in common (besides sex).

*hears song on the radio* "hey remember in middle school when... oh wait..., you were in diapers still."

Plus, one person is established, the other is just starting out (in the case of like 35 year olds and 24 year olds).

To each their own, tho.

13. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

27. for the curious, my husband is also 27

14. PcH

PcH Guest

I really don't have a solid opinion on this yet. My first girlfriend was the same age as me. My ex was 4 years younger than me and it really showed at times. I've been attracted to younger girls and I'm actually talking to a girl 5 years younger than me :dunno: I'd like a woman closer to my age because they'll (hopefully) have a career like me, but younger girls are fun

15. PcH

PcH Guest

Oh, I'm 24

16. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

:werd: and I feel like when the age difference is around a decade the people involved are much more likely to be in different life stages making them incompatible.

I'm 20 :greddy:

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

25, if I were dating right now my cut off would be 33

18. THoC

THoC New Member

im 32.

my current cut off for an actual relationship once im actually ready for one is 25.

19. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

2nded.

most older woman = more pressure for commitment, more pressure for kids, pressure for $tability, often less carefree and fun.

There are definitely older women who don't fit that mold, but thats par for the course.

I'm seeing a woman 5 years older than me right now, and its the oldest ive ever gone and it matters to me and is a bigger deal to her.

and im going to say it.. As a man, I'd go 6 years younger and not bat an eye. 2 years older is about as far as id go.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  20. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I'm guessing i know the answer but i just want to hear your take.

I don't care about this in the slightest. Ive dated doctors/lawyers and Ive dated girls who work the counter at a liquor store. I'm done with doctors completely, and have no problem with girls who work shitty retail or whatever. Obviously I like girls who are part of the corporate grind just so we are on the same page with working hours, vacation time, etc etc.

Money wise, as long as she doesn't need my money and earns her own way, i don't really care.

21. john law

john law Guest

no opinion either way

22. JBunni

JBunni New Member

The largest age gap I know of was my grandmother and her husband. She was 25 and he was 50 (she was an assitant in his dental practice). They were married for ~10 years, and had 4 kids together. He died around 60 leaving her to work and raise 4 kids. She loved him very much, because even 50 years later she would tell us (grandkids) about him. She didnt remarry until her kids were grown and out of the house (I think my mom was 30 when grandma remarried).

I would say it can work, but it depends on the individuals and what they are looking for in a relationship.

23. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

I'll be honest, I'm turning 21 in a few months and older women, even only a year or two, totally intimidate me. I have no problem having good convo's, flirting, etc., with girls ~my age or younger, but I can't for the life of me get in a good frame of mind when I'm talking to older girls.

24. NuShooz

NuShooz OT Supporter

My gf is 4 years younger than me. I'm 31 she's 27. 24 vs. 19-20 is much different than 31 vs. 27. 4 years difference is nothing the older you get.

25. Reign

Reign Banned

I've had a 8 year gap as the largest, me 27, her 19. I'm done with anything 24 years old though (unless it's just to have fun). Between 18-23 I've found they, generally, still don't know what they want, still freak out over little shit, and require more attention than I care to give.