A&P Your Bogen 3021 DOES support more than 13 pounds right?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Dec 8, 2006.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The official rating for this tripod is 13 pounds, but I have a hard time believing that... I have a theory that the 13 pound rating is based on holding a camera in portrait orientation at the maximum horizontal angle.... am I right?

I've extended a Giottos 9180 (I think that was the model number) to it's maximum height and put at least 60 pounds of pressure on the head (straight down) and it didn't budge. The Giottos is rated for 26 pounds, but many people say this tripod is "less sturdy"

So even though the 3021 is rated for 13... if your camera is just sitting on top of it, you feel that it can hold far more than this right?

How much would you say it could hold when set up fully horizontally?

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Part of the reason I'm asking this is because this is driving me crazy

http://www.adorama.com/BG3021BP.html?searchinfo=3021b pro&item_no=4

http://www.adorama.com/GTMT9180.html?searchinfo=9180&item_no=1

So similar......

The Giottos does have more features and a higher load rating. I have extended this tripod to max height before.... it felt sturdy to me.

The Bogen has been reviewed (but only a few times) as being more stable than the Giottos one.

I have a Giottos Monopod and I am very happy with it... I still can't decide.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i stood on mine once

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

From your actual usage of the product, do you think the 13 pound rating means "at the wackiest angle possible this product will hold 13 pounds nearly rock solid"

Or do you think that 13 is defined in some other terms?

Clearly it can hold more than 13 when set up "normally" when the center column not extended.

5. silverceli2k

silverceli2k I

What are you going to be putting on it that is THAT much more than 13 lbs?

6. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

I think the 13 pound rating is for the most off-center position you can mount the camera in. I've had my macro rig mounted with my bag hanging from the hook so that it would be a little more stable and it didn't have any problems. Everything together probably weighs about 20 pounds or so.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i think its 13lbs at an off center, unsturdy kind of way. its obviously going to hold more than that in the center when set up properly

8. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

At the store today I was playing around with a Gitzo CF "mini" tripod. When folded the thing was about 15 inches long. When fully extended it was about 5 feet tall.

It had 4 section legs... the smallest section of the legs was just a little larger in diamater than that of a mechanical pencil. When tightened down though it was still very hard to bend. CF is some amazing stuff.