GUN Your Basic Arsenal

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nordaim, Oct 4, 2002.

1. nordaim

nordaim Guest

Just thoughts on what a "Basic Arsenal" of firearms should be for an individual.

All of these firearms were chosen for their availability of ammunition and their known ballistics. Some calibers, such as the .40 of 10mm, though gaining popularity in some cirlces, do not have the saturation of the ones below, and were therefore discounted for selection.

Handguns:

1. .38 Special Revolver (any will do well)
    2. 9mm Automatic (Personal preference to a Beretta 92)
    3. .45 Automatic (1911, hands down)

Rifles:

1. 7.62x39R (SKS or AK variety)
    2. .223 (Bushmaster or AR15)
    3. .30-06 (M1 Garand or a good pump/bolt action rifle)
    4. .308/7.62 NATO (In a good bolt action. Steyr would be very nice)

Shotgun:

1. 12guage pump. (Remington 870 or Mossberg 500)

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Handguns:

1- .357 revolver ;) (S&W Model 19 would be tough to beat)
    2- full sized semi-auto in a major caliber (Glock 20! :big grin: )
    3- concealment sized semi-auto in a major caliber (G27)
    4- Mouse gun in .32+ (Kel-tec or Seecamp for me.)

Rifles:

1- AR-15 variant (short range rifle)
    2- .308 semi-auto; FAL, G3, etc (medium range rifle)
    3- .308+ bolt action (long range rifle)

Shotgun:
    1- 12ga pump

My priorities are a little less biased towards total SHTF and more towards what you are more likely to use for your home, particularly on the handgun issue. So i don't specify a caliber there, as long as it's one of the accepted, viable calibers. Figure if you're in a situation where you can't find some .40SW and you're relying on a handgun, you're already fucked anyway. :dunno:

This is my idea of a nice tidy little collection that has an example that can fill nearly any role.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2002
  3. nordaim

nordaim Guest

I am too SHTF oriented not to think of it in that manner. I like the ability to know that I have a 90% chance of running across something and knowing that I should be able to use the ammunition from it in a firearm that I am familiar with.

My own personal collection at this point does not in anyway relate to my SHTF Arsenal ideas, save for the 12ga pump and 7.62x39R SKS.

My personal preference for a long-range rifle is a 6.5x55 Swedish in a Gustav Mauser, drilled and tapped for a scope. I think that they are nice rifles and the long barrel/sight profile is excellent for making long range open sight shots. Though, their overall size does not make them a quick handling rifle by any means.

Also, I would *never* rely on a handgun at any but the most screwed up situations. At the normal range in which handgun fights arise, a shotgun is a much more effective, devastating alternative.

I feel that the only thing more frightening than a 12ga at "up close and personal" ranges is a chainsaw, because that is just plain mean....

4. novass

novass Guest

Hand guns

357 revolver ( so you can use 38 /357 ammo)
    1911 a1 auto .45 acp ( parts and ammo is everywere)
    9mm auto ( nato ammo)

Rifle

.223 AR15 ( parts and ammo availabilty, nato ammo)
    .308 bolt action ( nato ammo)
    sks /ak 47
    .50BMG bolt for long range (nato ammo )

Shot gun
    pump 12 gage

You cant go wrong with any military style set up, not because "black guns" are cool but because the military spends alot of time figuring out what works.

5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

My arsenal

Handgun:
    Glock 22

Rifle:
    .22 Winchester
    SKS
    .44 Winchester

Shotgun:
    Remington 870

6. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

I own pretty much everything I deem as "essential". :big grin:

7. kellyclan

:werd: :big grin: Gotta cover all the bases!

8. SpikeLS1

SpikeLS1 Guest

I'd stick with something like the following cartridges:

.22LR rifle
    .223 rifle
    .308 rifle
    .38/.357 snubnosed pistol
    .45acp pistol
    12 gauge

Specifically, I'd go with something like the following:

Ruger stainless 10/22 .22LR (accurized, w/scope)
    DPMS DCM AR-15 Hbar .223 (accurized)
    Remington M700 or M7 short action bolt .308 (w/scope)
    S&W M337 .38 Special 2" snubnose
    Heckler&Koch USP (or maybe USP-Compact) in .45acp
    Remington/Mossberg pump 12 gauge & 2 barrels (20" and 28")

ammo for any of these guns is very easy to find, and relatively inexpensive, all are reliable, parts should be available for a long time, etc. You could just as easily go with a couple of 9mm or .40 pistols in different sizes (like a Kahr and a Glock 17 for instance) instead of the snubby .38 and fullsize .45 pistol, it's just that I really like the compact and ultralight snubby .38/.357s that are on the market now - they are perfect for their intended usage, to be carried alot and shot very little. And the .45acp is easily my favorite pistol round.

You could certainly go with a different rifle than an AR15 as well, its just that an accurized AR15 is frighteningly accurate with just it's peep sights, still quite lightweight, blasting ammo is cheap and very easy to find, and parts are very easy to find as well. You could even get different uppers and have numerous gun configurations to choose from, like a lightweight "shorty" upper for when you are in the mood to "spray and pray". Other options for a similar rifle might be a peep sight equipped Valmet 76 or Galil in .223 or .308 or an FN-FAL or HK91 clone in .308 with their peep sights. I'd likely pass on any of the AK or SKS clones due to their shorter ranged cartridges and lack of peep sights, but thats just my own personal preference.

If I had a bit more room for stuff in my arsenal I'd defintely invest in another shotgun. I'd want 2, one gun with an 18" barrel and a folding stock w/mag tube extension for house use, and the other gun I'd setup with a 20" barrel and normal stock for shooting slugs and defense use, but no mag extension so I could put the 28" barrel on it for hunting use. Both will be the same model gun, ie Rem870s or Mossberg500/590s for parts interchangability.

To each his own though!

9. haha, right... everyone should have 7 guns... you guys are weird.

10. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Does that mean I have to sell some? :dunno: I'm over 7.

11. kellyclan

Did you read the original post? Nobody said everyone should have 7 guns, or even 1 gun. The original post said "basic individual ARSENAL". As in multiple weapons. As in collection by an interested person.

12. KW

KW Guest

Here's my list:

Long Guns

.22lr - cheap plinking, and handy for those annoying squirrels
    .223 or 7.62x39 - your SHTF gun
    .30-30, .308, .30-06 - your hunting weapon
    12ga - birds, deer, people .... it does everything

Handguns

.22lr - handy for introducing your girlfriends to shooting
    .357 mag revolver - everybody loves a good mag
    9mm, .40, .45, 10mm auto - your personal defense weapon

I'm still working on my collection, but I'm getting there. I think I'm going to have to pick up a shotgun next. :bigthumb:

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

okay, i'm going to go at this in a shtf sort of way, but one in which you may not be always in the boonies. there may be some urban conflicts to take care of. that said, some of these things are items which friends of mine own at least one of, therefore i consider them part of my available arsenal.

Colt 614 lower, with a true M4 upper (14.5" barrel, 1/7 twist, M4 profile, M4 feed ramps), with removable carry handle and collapsible stock. Other accessories, such as rails and the likes are optional.

DSA FAL, bipod removed.

Remington PSS in .308, with Leupold Mk. III and Harris swivel bipod.

Glock 21.

Ka-Bar, black, serrated, Kydex sheath.

i'm also assuming that you have a vehicle by which to transport this stuff, because 3 rifles and a pistol, plus ammo and supplies, are not light. maybe a dogsled. yeah, that's what i'll get.

14. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

1) 12 GA 870, easy to find spare parts, common calibre, and pump is leff fragile than SA.
    2) AR-15 or M1A, I am still debating on this, AR is more common, but I like the power of the .308.
    3) .357 S&W Model 19 or .45 1911, I still haven't decided on this one either. The Revolver is more versatile and reliable, but I like clip fed guns for reloading and the 1911 is the most popular design.

Some people would include a .22 rifle, probably a Ruger 10-22, but I think the AR will do everything the Ruger will and more.

15. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Handgun of some sort (non-Glock
    12 guage (Remington is my sex slave)
    bolt action 300 mag :)o)

16. frpSpore

frpSpore New Member

What do you think would be the ideal civilian accessible armament for fighting police and/or military forces?

17. footratfunkface

everything on my list is civilian accessible. my friends and I are civilians. and like stated, mine is geared toward shit hits the fan scenarios, so...

18. RockSteady

RockSteady Guest

Ruger .22 revolver (accepts LR aswell)
    Sig 226 .40
    S&W .38
    USP 9mm
    Mossberg 590 Defender (Combat Grips and original stock and pump)
    Remington 870 Witness Protection Gun
    M-14
    Ruger Mini-14
    Ruger 10-22
    and various other "survival equipment"

Only one on my list requires any licensing.

19. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

well.. the only reason to have an 'arsenal' is a shtf type senario .. so ill work from that....

handgun ... 9mm or .45 (two most abudant calibers)

assult rifle ... .223 (found everywhere.. can be used for hunting)

shot gun... 12 gauge.. (slugs and various loads, usefull for everything.

in a shtf situation i wouldn't think you'd be able to carry any more than that

edit: unless you're building a collection of guns from different disciplins... ie, a gun for different purposes.. then you've got about 12 slots to fill

20. footratfunkface

what slots does my list not fill, besides sporting clays? because i do not feel that a shotgun does anything that a rifle won't do better.

21. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i was just talking about a collector who wants a nice gun in a variety of calibers ... a 308, a 30-06, a 1911, a 9mm, ect ect

22. footratfunkface

oh, i see. like a collector's aresnal, not an actual practical arsenal? understood.