SRS Youngest sister has serious problem w/Herion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by moses, Mar 17, 2005.

1. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

God knows how long she's been using, but its getting really, really bad now. She almost OD'd the other night from what i'm told. My parents know about it but are in complete denial. They don't know what to do with her, as they've put her in rehab before, but she checked herself out.

I don't have a clue what to tell my mother, she cries all the time, and doesn't know what to do. WHAT CAN I DO?? where are some resources i can look for?

2. paperbag

paperbag New Member

For me, heroin was a particularly bad one because of the physical withdrawl. See if you could get her to go to a detox and get involved with a program for after. Another option is methadone. Many people feel that methadone is bad because you are not actually clean. It is a ball and chain, but it saved my life and i was able to get off the heroin and the methadone. There is also buprenorphine or naltexone, which are perscribed by a doctor. My counselor mentioned SAMHSA as a good resource. I hope everything works out.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I'm sorry to hear that. Dealing with an addict is tough business, you really can't change them no matter how hard you try. They have to want to get clean. I suggest you check out Al-Anon or Nar-Anon. You should be able to relate to others dealing with family members who struggle with addiction/alcoholism at either group. Although, you may be able to relate better at Nar-Anon, since you're sister has a drug problem. However, it may be easier to locate an Al-Anon meeting, it's bigger than Nar-Anon.

Al-Anon: http://www.alanon.org.za/
    Nar-Anon: http://nar-anon.org/meetinglist.htm#TEXAS

4. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

Have to agree with Eligh, also check out some open NA meetings, you will here how other people deal with some of the problems addicts face getting clean. Good luck on the journey.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:hug: sorry to hear this man. Did you read some of the other threads in here for support? A few other members can likely relate to what you're going through. Best of luck.

6. gnat

gnat New Member

My ex-wife went through years of heroin abuse since our divorce. We didn't do it together, it was something she got into after we split up. She had some serious depression issues prior to my divorcing her and it certainly didn't get any better with drugs. Anyways, she had an implant of naltraxone in her lower abdonmen. It was good for about 6 weeks I think(it blocks the feeling from opiates). Then she was supposed to follow up with oral doses but I'm not sure how this turned out. She has gained about 40-50 lbs though, so she looks ALOT healthier and better off. It may be an option, but of course it should be treated along with other programs such as NA, maybe even church.