LGBT You guys should read this thread...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Nov 3, 2004.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1395664

Ordinarily, I wouldn't care so much about anything as stupid as this. However, it's indicative of how ignorant (read: STUPID) people can be. I take some comfort in knowing that there are people out there with more objective perspectives on us.

I just have a few things to say. I don't see myself wanting to get married anytime soon, but it's more the fact that I'm being told that I CAN'T because I'm gay that pisses me off. The people who are trying to deny me this right are doing so because of invalid reasons.

- Their using "marriage as an institution between a man and a woman" is a huge cop-out. I highly doubt that 99.9% of straight couples out there hold their marriage so sacred that they'd see gay marriage as a threat to them. It's simply a means for them to deny homosexuals equal rights because of their own hatred.

- Reproductive issues are a non-issue. If this was true, then sterile couples shouldn't be allowed to get married either and those who are should be forced to get divorced immediately.

- The gay gene hasn't been proven one way or another yet, but every recent study is pointing in the direction of genetics > choice.

- If anybody even tries to bring God into this they're forgetting entirely about the separation of church and state. I know that this really isn't possible, but at least try to be less obvious about it, instead of using to support your argument which is really just a mask for your bigotry.

Maybe America's not ready. We will be one day though. Unfortunately with Bush in office for another 4 years, it's gonna take longer.

Oh, one more thing. I'm going to make a statement and I want to get your responses regardless of whether you believe it or not.

Did anybody else notice the correlation between coastal states and Kerry (the south doesn't count, we all know where they stand. *Refer to history*) Let me just put this simply. Coastal states = greater population densities = greater spreading of ideas = greater progression of social acceptance = the direction where society as a whole is heading regardless of how much the conservatives want to stop it. I know this is somewhat of a blanket statement but just look at the results of the election and who won what states. I don't think it can be questioned that the areas where the populations are less dense tend to be more backward in their thinking. Illinois, or maybe I should say: Chicago is the exception, in that it's inland, yet is extremely dense with regard to population, hence their support of Kerry.

I dunno, I just had a conversation with my buddy and then read that entire thread. I don't have the energy to take on the ignorance of OT right now, so I figured I'd post here instead.

2. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

Agreed on all accounts, but I think you're pretty much preaching to the choir here.

The scary thing is that these morons are capable of reproducing.

Maybe we can start slipping something into their Paps Blue Ribbon?

3. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Have you said all that in the thread itself?

Telling us your thoughts is not going to affect many people.

You need to fight the good fight on fronts where we may be able to change minds.

4. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

No surprise here. :rolleyes:

5. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I started reading/responding....but I stopped. I don't see it helping. Maybe I'll feel better l8tr, and do some more.

6. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

That's exactly how I felt too. :hug:

7. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

How do you pass legislation to dictate behavior? It just seems a little fascist to me.

8. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Point taken. I'm gonna resurrect that thread and see if I can get more of the day crew involved.