GUN You guys seen the SH online training thing?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Aug 8, 2009.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If not....... you should check it out.

I pulled the trigger on it last weekend after a night of drinking, and it was definitely one of my better drunk purchases. Easily worth the money, if for nothing else an interesting read while bored.

Some good shit is covered here, and the guys doing it are doing it REALLY well. Text documentation explaining what is going on, user discussion, and video (and some interactive video which is one of the cooler tech things I've seen in a while). The guys teaching are Jacob and Frank from Rifles Only; they run/teach one of the premier rifle camps around, and probably the only one which has my credit card living in fear.

I think it's something like $50 or so ('twas whiskey pong night, so fuck you I don't remember specifics) for a couple day trial, but then only $10 a month after that. So pretty much dick, especially considering how much work they are putting into it (no shit, it's THAT well done). I've been watching/reading on the shitter lately, and much of tonight and it's kept me very entertained, and I've actually picked up a bunch of shit that I'm really excited to try out tomorrow.

In short, don't be a cheap fuck. Buy it, watch/read it, learn, and take solstice knowing your money went to some good dudes. I've seen some of your guys' long gun setups - they are fucking terrible, and indicative of someone who doesn't know what's up. No shame, and not a knock because everyone has been there, but trust me when I say that educating yourself in the simple basics of LR shooting will completely change your thinking.

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

It occurred to me that not everyone might know what "SH" is. The long for the short is "SnipersHide". Pretty decent site dedicated to all that is LR (with an obvious bias towards military/field/tactical disciplines), which if you have any aspirations of shooting a bolt gun, should be reading.

www.snipershide.com - The training link is on the splash page on the left.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I see they are doing the interactive flash stuff. I can do that stuff too, you see some of it in my videos. I mostly use video triggers and they are doing hotspots.

Can you give a breakdown on what they are covering so far. Wind reads, rifle position work, working up loads, equipment set up/reviews, enviromental factors, reading distance, leads on moving targets, what?

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I guess I must be behind the times, as I hadn't seen the flash stuff yet. I've seen some interactive flash stuff, but not utilized quite like this. Work really well it seems.

As far as what your are asking about content..... Maybe not what you are looking for. I imagine you know your way around a rifle alright, and the requirements/hot setups of 3 gun (even the precision shooting stuff), are a little different than the pure LR/tactical stuff. You are probably not the target audience. This seems geared towards a "Rifle I" type course, and providing a solid base of marksmanship fundamentals. Also includes some decent drills to expound on such, which could be done with a 22 on a 100yd course. Some stuff on basic rifle setup is covered, as is some basic optic knowledge which I thought might be helpful for some.

Was somewhat surprised to see that basic holdover/turret manipulation wasn't covered (and I wish it was), as I think that a basic primer would definitely be appreciated. SOOOO many people don't understand the concept of dialing dope (or using a simple holdover, in your case) which I think is a shame, and that should be covered early. People who don't are leaving waaaaay too much on the table, for what is really an elementary concept.

Equipment stuff is pretty much forgone (with the exception of explaining LOP pretty well, and diopter/parallax/eye relief). As stated earlier, it's more of a focus on the basics of fundamentals, specifically from shooting in the prone position (weak hand included). I would love to see a "primer" on some of the stuff you mentioned, but I dunno how well it would translate into text/video (can you imagine trying to explain to someone the nuances of doping wind, via text?). Zak Smith did some stuff that mentioned the doping/rangefinding/holdover stuff regarding choosing (and using) LR type optics, but it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember exactly what all it covered. Given how some of that is talked about so much in the LR community, I wonder if it was assumed if that would have been prior knowledge, or if it is just so big/complex of a topic that they haven't tackled it yet. Regardless, I think many things you mentioned could warrant a quick FAQ, and will relay the same to frank.

I enjoyed the reads, and picked up some tips and some good drills to work on, which to me was worth the dough. I shoot this kinda stuff though, so I don't know how well my feelings would translate to you.

5. I've thought about subscribing to it. Lots of guys on there seem to love it.