GUN You guys are so Lucky

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hongie, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Hongie

Hongie New Member

I'm Australia, and we can no longer have many of these Firearms, and also cant have anything like mace/pepper spray, expandable batons, handcuffs, or anything like that.

no semi auto (long arm) are alowwed unless you have a "genuine need" such as primary producer (farmer etc) to keep pests at bay...

makes me wish i lived in the US of A sometimes... as much as i love my country, so many of our freedoms have been taken away.. even literature such as the paladin press books and kurt saxon

/end rant

2. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Do the majority of people you know feel the same way? My cousin from here in Arizona is attending college in Australia. He told me after the Virginia Tech shooting he heard a lot of Australians saying that the we deserved it for having so many firearms. And that it was president Bush's fault.

3. Hongie

Hongie New Member

unfortunatly, alot of people are not aware of the facts, and blame the guns. Its not the guns/cars/knives or whatever that kills people, its the bloody idiots using them. So short answer, no, most people seem to think guns and gun owners are evil. in the last 15 years or so, this attitude has come to be more prevalent. up until then, we didnt even have licensing.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

holy lurker

5. spitter3

spitter3 New Member

You

6. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

But everything's Bush's fault :hsugh:

I feel the same way, i'd love to own a decent gun one day for maybe home protection and to take to the range. :rofl: i think the closest range to me is a long long way away.

7. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

Unfortunatly that taking the guns away from everyone is one of the only surefire way to keep the guns away from the idiots...unless you've got a better idea. but look at the sats first. :o

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:confused:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

are you saying that gun control works, or not?

here are some stats:

* Washington, D.C. has, perhaps, the most restrictive gun control laws in the country, and yet it is frequently the Murder Capital of the nation. In the 25 years following the DC gun ban, its murder rate INCREASED 51 percent, even while the national rate DECREASED 36 percent.49

* Objection: Critics claim criminals merely get their guns in Virginia where the laws are more relaxed. This, they argue, is why the D.C. gun ban is not working.

* Answer: Perhaps criminals do get their guns in Virginia, but this overlooks one point: If the availability of guns in Virginia is the root of D.C.’s problems, why does Virginia not have the same murder and crime rate as the District? Virginia is awash in guns and yet the murder rate is much, much lower. This holds true even for Virginia’s urban areas, as seen by the following comparison on the 25-year anniversary of the DC gun ban (in 2001):

City Murder rates: 25 years after DC's ban
    Washington, DC 46.4 per 100,00050
    Arlington, VA 2.1 per 100,00051
    (Arlington is just across the river from D.C.)
    Total VA metropolitan area 6.1 per 100,00052

* Guns are not the problem. On the contrary, lax criminal penalties and laws that disarm the law-abiding are responsible for giving criminals a safer working environment.

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

10. t1h

t1h Guest

i just wish it was easier to purchase full auto weapons :sad2:

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

holy fucking lurkers.

All I know is that I pitty the criminal that tries to rob my place when me and my roomies are home. .30-06, 7.62x39, 8mm, and 7.62x54 tend to fuck you up :o

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

preach on brother, preach on. Hell, I don't really mind the original NFA, since I REALLY don't want total psychos to be able to buy guns to their door, but basically everything after that has been idiotic.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

dot

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

While I appreciate the praise from the australian poster, ultimately I fear we'll suffer the same fate because even gun owners like gun control. NFA was the same bad legislation based on misleading facts and fear mongering that current gun control is. Somebody always thinks shall not be infringed does not apply because they're the only ones professional enough. Some days that makes me just want to throw in the towel and give up. For all the shit gun owners talk about the ACLU for doing things like supporting nambla's right to free speech I have to say I have alot more respect for the ACLU because they support the freedom not their own self serving interests. Alot of gun owners don't see to be interested in freedom, just their freedom.

On a side note though can you be more specific about what you like? Mail order firearms died with the gun control act of 1968.

Tell me a little more about this, I don't know anything about the literature problems.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

ORLY with the mail order? I was under the impression that the NFA basically created the situation that we are in today with regards to having to go through an FFL...

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Gun control act of 1968 created the ffl requirement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License As a side note why would you support it? By extension you should support banning private sales without a nics check then too.

17. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

thanks for not flaming.

I definately don't agree that gun control "works" but it has it's positives and negatives such as the always argued reason that you need self protection from the criminals who do and who brake all laws and restrictions to get the guns.

But i don't think you can compare sats from different states, such as your example. plus from some of my sources Louisiana is on top in terms of per capita.
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_hom_tot_num_of_vic_percap-total-number-victims-per-capita

from the link below the only people beating you guys are near 3rd world countries in civil war.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_fir_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop

I dunno but, its all been said before and people will continue to argue about this crap for eternity. I also realise that there is a large percentage of american gun owners who use their firearms in a very responsible manner and its just their hobby that they enjoy. I just wish that they could realise that here but i guess the greater population and the people up higher do not agree and see that its the only solution and yes it does work to an extent which can be proved.
    cheers
    /rant.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

In what fashion can you do so? Certainly there is academic work to the contrary http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-on-murder-rate/2006/10/23/1161455665717.html

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks :bigthumb:

20. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yeah, pity, Australia seems like such a cool country aside from the whole "be a defenseless sheep" thing.

Then again, that is how they got their start. :o

21. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Of course they think that. Because once the general populous is disarmed, the government doesn't have to fear the people anymore. They have total control.

22. GTP

GTP New Member

lucky you. Here in Canada we cannot use guns for self-defense.