MMA Yoshiyuki Yoshida works with Team Jackson for UFC 98

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, May 22, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8802&zoneid=13
    YOSHIDA WORKS WITH TEAM JACKSON FOR UFC 98
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thursday, May 21, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com [/FONT]

[​IMG]
    The education of a mixed martial artist never truly stops. For Japanese Judoka Yoshiyuki Yoshida the learning curve came at the expense of a knockout loss to Josh Koscheck in December 2008, but he believes he has learned from the mistakes he made, and is ready to return at UFC 98 this Saturday night.

For his last bout, Yoshida was expected to be a tough match-up for the former NCAA wrestling champion, but what many thought would be a ground war turned into a stand-up fight that the Japanese fighter lost in the first round.

"I think I thought about the opponent too much and basically forgot to fight my style of fight," Yoshida told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview prior to his fight at UFC 98. "So this time, I want to go and just do what I do best and win."

What Yoshida did to get back to his winning ways was completely change his training routine, and that included adding himself into the mix at Greg Jackson's gym in New Mexico.

"I have been training at Greg Jackson's at almost two full months. For this fight I didn't wanted to train in Japan. If I train in Japan then coming to America and fight in the UFC, that itself would put everything into something extraordinarily and rare," Yoshida stated. "I wanted to approach this fight like any other fight I fought in Japan. So train in New Mexico for full two months, then take short flight out to Vegas to fight. It's about changing the environment to prepare for this fight in a different mindset.

"Also of course, I wanted to train and spar with best fighters in the world, particularly UFC fighters, under great coaching and I thought Greg Jackson's is the place for that."

For his third fight in the Octagon, Yoshida will face Brandon Wolff, a young up and comer who suffered a loss in his debut bout for the UFC when he was TKO'd by American Top Team fighter Ben Saunders, after a devastating series of knees in the first round.

Admittedly, Yoshida knows little about his opponent, but he isn't worried about what Wolff is going to do. Wolff should be worried about him.

"I do have DVDs of his fight, but this time, I am not going to watch so I won't know anything about it," said Yoshida. "One of the coaches at Greg Jackson's here apparently saw Wolff's fight and advised me on few points, but that is about it. I want to concentrate on doing my fight. I don't want to think about my opponent."

Of course the biggest pressure added into the mix for this fight is the fact that both Yoshida and Wolff are coming off of losses, and while the UFC hates to lose quality competitors, winning is the only guarantee to keep you around.

"There is always a pressure to win in this sport," Yoshida commented. "I mean, at this level, you have got to win every fight. That is the bottom line. So the pressure is the same."

Having only fought twice in 2008, Yoshida is hopeful for a slightly busier 2009, but his main focus is on Brandon Wolff and getting back on a winning track in the UFC.

Yoshida also thanked the sponsors that supported him to this point, and helped him get ready for the fight at such a crucial spot in his career.

"I would like to thank Sprawl, that has been staying behind me from basically my very first day in the US," said Yoshida. "Manto, polish apparel brand, that makes awesome shorts and rash guard. I also would like to (thank) Hayabusa Fight Wear. I am very excited to be able to work with fast growing brand, and also KUBED, the brand that makes very stylish wears and gears."

Yoshiyuki Yoshida makes his return to action on Saturday night against Brandon Wolff at UFC 98 in Las Vegas.

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

so you read mmaweekly too i see :hsugh:

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

it's so people can discuss the topic

hence a "forum"

4. Helios

Helios New Member

:eek4: