yj vs tj

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

what are the suspension differences between these two jeeps?

2. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

YJ's are leaf sprung with panhard bars front and rear and TJ's are 5 link coil sprung suspensions.

3. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

tj would kick the yj's ass offroad and on. TJ's suspension was incorporated from the grand cherokee's

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Yeah, the TJ features an infinitely better design for both on and off road driving. In fact the TJ is a killer trail machine off the showroom floor.

Not that the YJ's completely suck, but the TJ is much better.

5. hookerb1694

hookerb1694 Guest

for those that are say TJs are waaaaaaaaaay better then a YJ, do u drive a Jeep??? a TJ and YJ are two different suspension designs, yet they are just about the same articulation stock. neither one is totally awesome offroad straight off the lot. reason being neither one has enough clearance. also suspension stuff for TJ is waaaay more expensive than it is for a YJ, you can get a coil conversion for a YJ and it makes them just about the same jeep. TJ and YJ both have slip yokes therefor you cant lift them above 3in without getting a slip yoke eliminator. also another bad thing about YJs is that they have a vacum acuwaited 4wd engage system which normally fails cause the lines are old and rotted. basically they are the same and both sweet once modded. also YJs came with a 4.2L for about 4 years or so. my $.02

6. Wakefield

Wakefield Active Member

Id take and old YJ over a TJ anyday.

With the leafs your able to do a spring over with moderate lift springs, thatll give you a STABLE 6-10" lift for cheap.

If you want to lift a TJ that high your looking at some major stability issues, plus the complications that come with lifting a coil sprung vehicle that high.

Bottom line YJs are simple and of course keep it simple stupid

So Id say YJ

:bigthumb:

7. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

Yes, I drive a Jeep.

8. smaug

smaug born to lose

cj7's rule everything! (sarcasism!)

9. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Stock a TJ is betteron and off-road. However, who keeps a Jeep stock? They can both be made just as capable. For those saying leaf springs suck, how do you explain the fact that some TJ owners are now converting their rear coils to leafs? Both designs have their own weaknesses.

10. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

don't really have n e thing to add other then its prolly personal preference as to which one is better, for me it would pick the yj just cuz its a simpler design and prolly less likely to break while offroading

11. :bigthumb: Exactly. I'll take my YJ over a TJ anytime, anywhere, anyday. Yal can keep yer coil springs. I like my leafs

12. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

fuck wranglers! CJ!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

TJs out flex stock YJs by far. Once you have disconnected the front and rear sway bars on a stock YJ and TJ you see the difference fast. I've seen a stock TJ strap a stock YJ up a hill that the TJ made fine but the YJ kept getting it's wheels in the air at every hole and rock. The two wranglers were set up identical, wheel size etc. and disconnected.
    Before you say I don't know what I'm talking about and probably have never owned a Jeep, I'd like to point out that I've owned two TJs and an XJ and have wheeled with many different kinds of vehicles.

14. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

But who keeps their Jeep stock? Not to mention TJ's rear steer and tendency to lift a front tire going around turns at speed.

15. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Then howcome a lot of the ARCA rigs are leaf sprung?
    A lot of people will admit that coils are fine. But you can only go so high with them. Eventually you will run into too many problems. A built TJ and a SOA YJ (when done correctly) should ramp about the same. I know of a few people who actually put leafs in the back of their TJ's because they were able to admit that coils are not the endall to suspensions.
    BTW, you are wrong. Hummers use IFS. As for D90's being the best off-road vehicles, that is arguable. Best at what? No one vehicle can be the best at everything.
    The difference between 410 and 490 on a ramp is not much, plus it is hard to compare two different vehicles, there is just too many factors that come into play such as tire size, air pressure, where on the ramp you drove, whether you disconnected, etc. RTI scores are only good for judging your rig against itself.

16. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

To say a Hummer uses coils is incorrect though they way most people read it. When someone sees that something has coils they think of something like what you have on your TJ. This is not how the suspension is on a Hummer, it is an advanced IFS.
    Just because people purchase something does not mean it is good. Tons of people bought tornado air fuel management systems and thousands of other devices that are supposed to increase mileage and power, yet we all know that they are crap. There is a sucker born every minute.
    The Currie Jeep is a bad example. Did you ever also notice that is has been narrowed? It also has different axles and many other components. I would hardly compare a $50,000 TJ to a $10,000 or less YJ.

17. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Yes, I have wheeled a TJ in Moab. Or is that not good enough for you. :rolleyes: I also have an XJ and two CJ's in my garage.
    What do you think 4 wheel independant is? IFS + IRS. Once again :rolleyes:
    Why did they build up a TJ? Because it's new. They had the money, why not spend it. A lot of the rigs there do not have a ceiling on their budget, yet the ones that due are usually older and do just as well.
    Why don't you check out a Jeep forum once in awhile, ask the people there what they think is better once you get past a certain height and see what kind of answers you get. I guarantee once the Jeep gets past a certain point they will not want coils anymore.

18. TREVORNATION

TREVORNATION Guest

remember , jeeps are all about being hard core. soft rides are not hard core, but articulation is.

so you choose what u want, yj or a foo foo tj.

ahaaahaahahaha

i have a yj btw, here's a pix

[​IMG]

19. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

That's kind of an oxymoron though because in order to have a lot of articulation, you need a "soft" suspension. But I know what you mean.

20. hookerb1694

hookerb1694 Guest

coils and leafs are about the same if you do a shackle reverse on a leaf suspension. coils allow the tire to move straight up and down, as where a leaf the axle has to move forward or backward as it goes up and down. IT IS ALL ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE, and the Currie thing, they had Currie 9in axles on that jeep. who cares, this argument could go on forever. its all about the driver and personal preference. a really good drive could take a stock jeep being it a TJ YJ or CJ up a trail that some lifted vehicles cant go up. simply cause he can drive better, and take sweet lines.

21. pirate

After reading this thread, there are so many people claiming things that are completely wrong its not even funny.

M3 Bavaria
    You sir, are a moron. The only correct piece of info you have stated is about the coil springs on the Hummer. It is IFS and IRS with coils. That you were right about, but thats where you ended your correct statements. You said that all IFS systems use coils. Well you're wrong on that too. Ever heard of a torsion bar? I can't even begin to name all the vehicles made with IFS that use torsion bars to provide the spring rate.

The reason that John Currie chose to build a TJ is because his company, Currie Enterprises makes more stuff for TJ's than YJ's. Ever take a look at his catalog? He can sell a lift for a TJ for $2k and people would call that a deal but try and sell one for a YJ at that price and see how many orders you get. Anyone who uses the Currie Fire Ant in comparison to a YJ is out of their mind. A reputable 4wd mag did an article on it and said it would cost over $100k to duplicate. If anyone wants to argue about which is better take $30k and give $15k to me and I'll build a YJ that will drive circles around anything you could do to a TJ for that kind of cash.

Basically it comes down to if you wanted leaves, buy a YJ and save yourself a ton of money and work. They make coil kits for YJs because some yuppies have too much damn money to spend. And there is no way it would cost 5-6 grand to do the warn kit when all is said and done. Maybe if you include labor, new wheels, tires, slip yoke eliminator, driveshafts, gears, and lockers. For that kind of cash why dont you call me and I'll fab up a dual triangulated 4 link that will ramp 1000 on your precious 30 degree ramp and still be stable enough to drive every day at highway speeds? Cause I can take a YJ or TJ and build up something with coilovers at all 4 corners that will have more than enough clearance for any tire you want to run.

Oh and you call what John Currie did to the TJ he placed second with at the BFG championships with a "bolt on" build up? Try a Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 with the 5 speed auto that comes behind it.....surely they bolted that right in:rolleyes:. Everything they did to the body and frame? Yep I guess that's all bolt on stuff there too:rolleyes:. The suspension? Hell it must be all bolt on since you are the offroad authority:rolleyes:. They used coilover shocks with their high pinion 9" axles front and rear. Are you trying to tell me that all that stuff bolted on? :rolleyes: I hate to break it to you but the only thing left on that vehicle that is still a TJ is the tub and front clip. Just because he chose to build a TJ instead of a YJ doesnt really matter now does it especially considering there isnt much TJ left in it. If you think I'm wrong then why dont you tell me what stock TJ parts are left in it?

Why don't you bring your wonderful TJ with your RE 6" lift and 35" tires on 15x8 beadlocks down to North Carolina sometime and I'll show you what a YJ can do. And I guarantee you that you have spent a hell of alot more money that I have during your initial purchase and build up. Bring the ruckus!

p.s. consider yourself owned.

22. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I don't see any need to be calling names like that. This is not the main OT forum or the Vag.

Consider yourself warned.

23. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

[move]:rofl:[/move]

24. pirate

So claiming things that are not true is okay then?

25. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

No but calling names is, this is a civilized forum. We are all mature adults in here and we can all act that way. You had a good opprotunity to educate someone and instead used it to attack them. If you want to flame someone go to the Clusterfawk forum. If you wanna discuss trucks stay in here, you're more than welcome. Just don't flame people because they are less informed than you, please. Everyone in here can learn from someone else and I think most of us would be willing do so. Just please keep it civil. Thanks.