A&P Yet another tripod thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mutombo, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I'm looking for a tripod around $300. I've read lots of reviews and the Manfrotto 055XProB/488RC2 combo seems to come highly recommended in this price range.

Ideally I'd like something sturdy and durable. I think the ~6.5lb weight of the Manfrotto setup would be manageable, although I'd ideally like something lighter.

I would consider raising my budget to maybe $400 if there was something in that price range that is considerably better than the Manfrotto combo. I've read a little about Feisol CF tripods, which seem to run about $300 for just the tripod legs. I've considered either the
    CT-3441S traveler tripod (with center column included) or CT-3342 "tournament tripod" (with center column extra). Anybody have experience with either of these?

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

What do you need it to hold?

And are we talking head+legs for $300? or just legs?

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I have that setup with the 486 head rather than 488. not sure how different the heads are (I don't think they are much different).

i love it and don't regret my purchase one bit.

plus, having a tripod that can do this is pretty cool

[​IMG]

4. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

6.5 lbs is a lot heavier than you realize. I have Gitzo 3 series CF legs and a Markins head totaling about 5 lbs, and a lot of the times I wish it was lighter.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Yeah, mine is a bit heavy, but I don't usually carry it around so its not a problem, when I do, its strapped to my bag so a few lbs doesn't really matter.

6. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Right now just an xti with 24-70L and 70-200 f/4L but looking to upgrade to a 50D/5D2 and 70-200 f/2.8IS and/or 100-400L in the very near future.

The Manfrotto combo I listed is just under $300 for head+legs. I guess my question is, is there something significantly better for around that price or up to about $400? I'm not really looking to spend $1k on a Gitzo tripod just yet.

7. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

That's what I was worried about. I'm afraid if it's too heavy then I wont ever take it with me. Of course, lightweight tripods come at a price :o

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

If youre concerned about weight, just get their 190 CF legs (~$300ish?) and then a ball head (and Im not talking about those grip actions heads..I mean just a locking ball head).

9. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

10. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

11. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

12. CRC

CRC New Member

[​IMG]

:mamoru:

I was in the same spot you were. But then I went and felt the weight difference between the Manfrotto and the carbon fibers Gitzos. So I figured it was worth it to wait and buy the more expensive one. :o

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...531S_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html#specifications

Load Capacity 39.6 lbs
    Weight 3.7 lbs
    :eek3:

13. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

i went with the manfrotto 055. i got the non pro because i think the horizontal column is dumb and i'd never use it. i got the 055 over the 190 because i'm 6'2. the 055 is about a foot or so taller, which is perfect for me.

the aluminum version is however, quite a bit heavier. it might be worth the price difference if you plan on carrying the tripod around all over the place. keep in mind though that tripods are only really good for long exposures and HDR work. otherwise its absolutely useless to have outside of the studio imo.

14. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

I have the same one but with 4 section legs. That, plus a Markins M10 head and RRS quick release clamp is just around 5 pounds.

15. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I don't know how you guys complain about carrying a 5lb tripod. I carry a 7-8lb tripod for hours, and hardly notice it's there.

[​IMG]

16. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Well I kinda went against everyone's recommendations and picked up a Feisol 3441S and Kirk BH-3 new off of ebay for about $400 shipped (after 25% MS cashback).

In the end, I decided that if this tripod setup is not light and compact I just wont use it, and I couldn't justify the price for the Gitzo.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post a review after I get everything.