Yet Another Toyota Recall! 75,000 Priuses :omgwtfgoldencars:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by LowkeyG, Oct 15, 2005.

1. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Hybrid-engine glitch forces Toyota to recall 75,000 Priuses

By James F. Peltz / Los Angeles Times

Comment on this story
    Send this story to a friend
    Get Home Delivery

In what is believed to be the first recall of a hybrid car for problems with the gas-electric engine, Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it plans to notify about 75,000 owners of its hot-selling Prius about a potential software glitch that could cause the car to stall or shut down.

The voluntary recall of slightly more than half of the Priuses built the last two years dented the generally good reliability record of the car, whose sales have jumped as drivers sought better fuel economy in the face of soaring gasoline prices.

But Toyota and analysts said they did not expect the problem to slow sales of the Prius or hybrid vehicles in general, noting that glitches were likely to develop as production of hybrids increased.

"It is a new technology and they will be forgiven," said Jim Hossack, a consultant at the research firm AutoPacific Inc. in Tustin, Calif. "This will come and go."

The software problem first came to light in May when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it was investigating gripes from Prius owners about engine stalls and shutdowns.

"We have a total of 428 complaints, but no crashes or injuries," said NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson. He said Toyota made the decision to contact owners to fix the problem, which involves 2004 and early 2005 models.

"We're satisfied that their remedy is going to take care of the problem," Tyson said. As a result, "we intend to close our investigation" and Toyota is "to be commended" for the voluntary recall.

Although there have been two other recalls of the Prius, neither involved the hybrid-engine system. The system uses complex electronics and computer programming to make the car's separate gas engine and electric motor work together. Tyson said this appeared to be the first recall directly related to hybrid-engine technology.

Toyota will notify Prius owners by mail to take the car to a dealership for free repairs, said Allison Takahashi, a spokeswoman at Toyota's Torrance, Calif.-based U.S. operation.

"Most of the time it's just a warninglight coming on," she said, but the gasoline portion of the gas-electric hybrid engine "occasionally" cuts off.

If there is a stall, "you still have your electric motor and your brakes and your steering, so the driver can pull over" away from traffic, Takahashi said.

Introduced in the United States five years ago, the Prius triggered the popularity of hybrid vehicles, especially in 2005 as gasoline prices surged to $3 a gallon. Demand is so high that some dealerships have waiting lists.

The federal government credits the Prius with a fuel economy rating of 60 miles per gallon in city driving and 51 mpg on the highway, although automotive reviewers typically report average fuel economy of 40 to 48 miles per gallon in everyday use. It recently was rated No. 2 in gas mileage among cars sold in the United States, after the Honda Insight.

Toyota sold 53,991 Prius cars in 2004 and 81,042 through Sept. 30 of this year, and the automaker expects to sell 110,000 for all of 2005. New models have a base price of $21,275 but often sell for thousands of dollars more due to the strong demand.

Funny, because when Toyota put out the press release it was worded a little strangely:

Toyota: Prius needs a service action

Toyota Motor Corp. said on Thursday it will notify about 75,000 Prius owners in the United States about a potential software glitch that may cause the popular hybrid cars to suddenly stall or shut down. Toyota said the problem may cause warning lights in the cars to illuminate. That can prompt the vehicles to enter a "fail-safe" mode that may cause their gasoline engines to stall. The vehicles involved in the Toyota service action are from the 2004 and 2005 model years. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received a number of complaints about the hybrid vehicles stalling or stopping unexpectedly, often on highways. Toyota will be sending out letters asking customers to take the cars to a dealership for free repairs.

Source: Reuters

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JANUARY thru OCTOBER 06 2005 NHTSA CAMPAIGN RECALLS

ACURA..............05 (0)
    AUDI..............04 (0)
    BMW............. 06 (+1)
    BUICK…………. 05 (0)
    CADILLAC….…. 10 (0)
    CHEVY………… 70 (-5) ***
    CHRYSLER……. 02 (0)
    DODGE………… 03 (0)

FERRARI………. 04 (0)
    FORD…………... 62 (+2)
    GMC……………. 59 (-3) ***
    HONDA.….……..15 (0)
    HUMMER………. 04 (0)
    HYUNDAI…….....10 (+2)
    ISUZU…………... 08 (0)
    INFINITI..........01 (0)
    JAGUAR............ 01 (0)
    JEEP.............. 01 (+1)
    KIA……………....15 (+1)
    LAND ROVER…. 05 (0)
    LEXUS............ 00 (0)
    LINCOLN……….. 09 (+1)
    MASERATI……… 01 (0)
    MAZDA........... 04 (+1)
    MERCEDES……. 10 (0)
    MERCURY……… 01 (0)
    MITSUBUSHI…… 07 (+2)
    NISSAN…………. 05 (+1)
    PONTIAC…….…. 06 (0)
    ROUSH.............. 01 (0)
    SAAB………….… 03 (0)
    SALEEN……..…. 03 (+1)
    SATURN………... 13 (+1)
    SCION............. 00 (0)
    SUBARU........... 00 (0)
    SUZUKI……….…. 14 (+8)
    TOYOTA ……….. 39 (0)
    VOLKSWAGON.. 05 (0)
    VOLVO............... 0 (0)
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

BRANDS TOP SEVEN MOST RECALLS -
    (1) CHEVY
    (2) FORD
    (3) GMC
    (4) TOYOTA
    (5) HONDA - KIA
    (6) SUZUKI
    (7) SATURN

BRANDS TOP BEST FIVE NO RECALLS
    (1) LEXUS - SCION - SUBARU - VOLVO
    (2) INFINITI - JAGUAR - JEEP - MASERATI - MERCURY
    (3) CHRYSLER
    (4) DODGE - SAAB - SALEEN
    (5) AUDI - FERRARI - MAZDA -

NOTE -
    (+XX) Last Report Changes = 8 September 2005
    Based on NHTSA Campain Recalls. Count is based on individual assigned vehicle/MY
    ***Correction by NHTSA from previous month.

If I haven't missed any that should bring the great Toyota to 40 recalls this year... Gaining on GM (who has many more product lines) real fast.

Toyota fans, just keep buying your precious vehicles, I'm sure "service actions" will only keep them off the road half of the time.

2. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

hell, even Honda looks woefully mediocre on that list

3. tektoniks

tektoniks your inability to the thread

omg thanks for the repost!

4. xci.ed6

xci.ed6 New Member

Honda has been having problems since around 01, wtf is going on?

GM domestic: 167
    Ford domestic: 63
    Toyota NA: 39
    Honda NA: 20
    Nissan NA: 6
    Chrysler domestic: 6

And people wonder why I prefer imports.

5. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Oh I get it, this thread is supposed to make people think Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep are reliable...how clever.

6. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

wow, I'm surprised this is a repost.... are you talking about me posting the recall #'s before?... but who cares... it should be sticky!

Something needs to counteract the kool-aid the import brands feed the public

7. xci.ed6

xci.ed6 New Member

If you add them up by corperation, it doesn't look so bad.

8. ballzofsteel83

ballzofsteel83 OT Supporter

lexus still >*

i'm really happy with my 05 ram, over 13k miles in over 4 months and no problems whatsoever... 16/19mpg too :bigthumb:

9. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

While that is a valid deuctive conclusion for the facts presented.....

I am instead pointing out that most of the import sackriders would have expected Chrysler style numbers from thier beloved Toyota.

In an era where people will say they want GM to go bankrupt because Toyota cars are such superior products, somebody has to get the message across that PR department forced perceptions are not the reality.

10. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

I agree, they don't look as bad, but you have to admit, Toyota and Honda are perceived by the general public as bulletproof appliances that run indefinately, while clearly this is not the case.

As well, factoring in sales numbers, Ford and GM's recall number should be somewhat higher than companies that sell less. Goes part of the way to excusing them, for otherwise inexcusable numbers.

11. xci.ed6

xci.ed6 New Member

Look at the seriousness/saftey aspect of the recalls, and at TSB's.

I bet ford & GM both have more TSB's, and the recalls are for much worse things as compared to the imports.

12. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

And what facts do you base that bet on! Seems like you are still on a hangover from the Toyota kool-aid.

One from May:
    WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp., in one of its largest safety recalls ever, said Tuesday it is recalling more than 750,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of problems with the front suspension that could hinder steering.

The company said the recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.

13. xci.ed6

xci.ed6 New Member

i'm not a big toyota fan

but seriously, a recall for wear item!! ford trucks do not geta recall, even though most I know can't get ball joints to last more than 20k miles, but toyota will? How fast are these wearing out?

14. Other cars never ever have recalls. None. Ever.

15. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

A recall for hindered steering seems pretty serious to me. There are 39 more recalls this year to research, I can gaurentee you that you are going to find several "serious" ones in the bunch. Recalls are recalls, some are less serious, but both kinds come just as often. The Jeep Wrangler was recalled last year to install a dust shield to prevent dust buildup near the battery. That is not to say that these are the only kind of recalls Jeep does, but seriousness varies acros all automakers.

16. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

Lots of other cars have recalls actually, many of them Toyotas. :bigthumb:

17. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

toyota quality is still > *

18. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

:run:

[​IMG]

19. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

oh, wait I see... because Toyota is recalling a lot of vehicles now (they never did that in the mid 90's) recalls are now a good thing!

well then

BRANDS TOP SEVEN MOST RECALLS -
    (1) CHEVY
    (2) FORD
    (3) GMC
    (4) TOYOTA

Three domestic brands are doing more recalls than Toyota, that must mean they care more about their customers :ugh2:

Honestly, some of you have this stuff engrained in your head so strongly that your arguements are simply laughable.

20. LilMoh

LilMoh When am I ever going to cook Tira Mi Su? Am I goin

:rofl::rofl:

21. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

I can respect you for saying that. I am a firm supporter of people's rights to buy whatever they please.

Just don't walk around justifying your purchases by cutting down other brands unduly, and make sure you know where the reality is with your vehicle. (not saying you do that, just in general)

22. ZAQ786

ZAQ786 BMW: The reason Lexus is still 'In the pursuit of

Honda:coold:

23. tun

tun Active Member

Lexus is still > *

24. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

Honda has more recalls than Pontiac :mamoru:

25. tektoniks

tektoniks your inability to the thread

im just giving you shit.