Yet another sub choice and wiring question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Weazy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

I plan on a small system for my car this spring because I am replacing the carpet it in, so I might as well run all the wiring when I do this. I plan on Focal Utopia 6.5 components in the doors. These will be run from my old school Arc Audio amp (forgot the part # but it's 4 channels at 100 watts per, at least I think it is).

Regardless, I am going to run two channels for the components then I'm thinking of bridging the last two for a single 10" sub.

3 Questions because I haven't touched car audio in 15 years :mamoru::

What sub recommendation?

How to wire? I am thinking and correct me if I'm wrong: Pre-out from receiver to amp using RCAs. Power from amp to fuse then to battery, ground to chassis. Speaker wire from amp to the components crossover. Bridge last two channels then to sub

3. Is it true to run power wire on the opposite side as the RCAs and speaker wires?

Thanks in advance!

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yes to all. as far as what sub, how much bass do you want? with roughly 200 watts, you could do a pretty nice sub.

3. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

Not looking for too much bass (the car's over 20 years old, I don't want it to fall apart, lol). I listen to mainly older rock/metal with a bunch of old school hip hop thrown in. Looking for something simple that will give me a little thump in my chest, but I rarely turn things up loud.

Also one more thing. When a sub manufacturer recommends a certain cubic feet in the box do i have to take into account the displacement from the magnet itself, or do I build a box (or buy) using it's basic inside area?
    Does that make sense?

Thanks again

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, makes sense. It varies from sub to sub. Some will figure in sub displacement, some won't. unless you're running a huge sub/magnet assembly, it's not going to have a HUGE effect on the box. you can usually build to spec, drop the sub in and be fine.

with the power you have, you could run something like a Memphis M-Class Single voice coil or something like a JL powerwedge if you just want something real simple.

JL Audio

5. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Seems like a shame to have the high-end speakers & amp and not go high end on the sub as well. I, personally, would probably go with Focal or Zapco subs...or maybe Image Dynamics even

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you won't gain anything going high end on subs when you only have 200 watts.

7. tjamz

tjamz New Member

well, except that a lot of the high end subs require less wattage than their low to mid end counterparts....Focal in particular...and even image dynamics respond well to lower wattage systems. As they are built more for finesse than brute power.

8. Weazy

Weazy Active Member

Definitely looking for more finesse, but i had a minor set back as I found out my Arc Audio amp is only 4x50.
    Now what do i do? Run two channels for my separates and then get another amp for the sub?

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:hsughno: unless they have a secret part of their website for uber elite subs, every sub focal makes above 8" takes at least 250w RMS. There is one exception, and it is a powered enclosed 8" at 200w. The ID Max has a range of 200-1000w. The iD and IDQ subs on the other hand do require less power. Although in that power range, you can once again go with the M-Class or JL sub.