Yet another Passat question.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Sep 9, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was looking under my car tonight, and I noticed something that I don't know how to interpret.

The front suspension has a swaybar attached to it, like I'd expected to see, but the rear suspension doesn't. There doesn't seem to be a place to attach one, either. I'd half expected to find no rear swaybar, since those aren't particularly common, but the lack of swaybar mount points seems odd considering that I can buy a rear swaybar for my car.

That's not to say there is no connection between the two rear wheels; there is a hollow beam that connects the two suspension arms near the pivot points, and I suspect that this is some sort of welded-in-place swaybar. However, I've had my car realigned several times in the past year and the back end still feels "dancey" at high speed.

How am I supposed to attach an aftermarket swaybar if there are no mount points?

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

What year Passat is it?

3. deusexaethera

It's a 1999, but it was made practically on the first day of the model year, so it has a bunch of 1998 parts on it. It's a B5 chassis, anyway -- not a B5.5.

4. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

if it's anything like the EM civics, you'll have to buy an adaptor plate and drill holes into the subframe to add one.

5. deusexaethera

Hmm. I just looked on Neuspeed.com and they're selling a bolt-on, no-drilling rear swaybar kit. It clearly includes mounting brackets that look like they're designed to fit inside the hollow beam I mentioned.

Wish I'd looked first and asked questions later; it seems that someone has already solved my problem. Now, all I need is for someone to solve my other problem: the sudden, magical appearance of $350 with which to buy the swaybar kit.