Yet another New HDD problem thread v.BSOD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Madness, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

I think I'm going out of my mind here.. this rig is less than 6 months old and everything is falling apart. The latest in my list of troubles is a problem that I'm having with a new Seagate 160gb hard disk I installed yesterday (23rd). I connected the HD and set it up into 2 partitions (99gb & 59gb), then proceeded to move some .avi files over from my boot HDD. While browsing through some vid clips of car movies that I've downloaded over the last 4 years, the system crashed and I got the Windows BSOD (critical error shut down windows to prevent damage etc etc) with the error code 0x0000009c. Wasn't sure what the problem was so I restarted and got the same error again 10 minutes later, and again after that. Then I tried using the system without accessing the Seagate drive and it crashed again. Since the HDD was the only thing I changed recently I disconnected it completely and everything was running back to normal after.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I was going to wait until Monday to call Seagate tech support but this is holding me way back. My boot drive is full to the brim and I want to download stuff now :mad:.

Edit: other useful information
    drive is: Seagate 160gb internal ultra ata
    and windows drivers have been updated for hd's larger than 137gb.
    Also have uninstalled/reinstalled the hardware from the device manager but problem still exists.

Would appreciate any help with this. :hsd:

2. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

what motherboard?

3. Madness

its an EVGA K8 Nforce 3 250gb socket 754

4. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

could be so many things... run memtest for starters. the drive might be bad, i had a defective 74gb raptor right out of the box. if you have (or can easily get) an external enclosure for that drive you can check it on another pc.

5. Madness

umm... k nevermind. Problem seems to have been solved, just swapped in a new 520W power supply and haven't had the error since. Guess the old pos 450 that came with the case couldn't handle an extra drive.

6. shaiboy

shaiboy New Member

reformat harddrive