Yet another log on the fire of the wire debate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Dec 1, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

My friend found this website a while ago, and I found it interesting. I haven't taken physics or ee classes, but I understood it pretty well. The author explains through some basic electrical principles how wire does truly affect sound.

http://www.sstage.com/pf02.htm

IB Notthisagain

:fawk:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hey 0490210 hehe

3. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Oh my goodness. :rolleyes:

4. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Yeah, I basically feel the same way. The overall improvement is small compared to what other changes/improvements can be made (like speaker placement, changing speakers, changing electronics, etc.), but I think if you have high quality equipment, the improvement is probably more substantial.

5. 04

04 Guest

Well, you know how I feel, no need to bring that up again.

Funny thing is, I know a guy who IS an EE, his job is as an electrical circuit manufacturer. He designs speakers for fun...

He has that cheap 16awg wire running off his 1200 dollar crown amplifier to his 4000 dollar speakers...

Also, Chroot on OT is an EE, i think he works for national semiconductor, you might ask him to read over that article and comment....

And For what its worth, I still think that "blind test" that you did with your friend awhile back was poorly implemented. You did what, 3 trials? And it wasnt a blind test either. His facial expressions or body gestures could have influenced your opinions.

As for the article I havent read it yet, but this is absolute horseshit, I hope the rest of the article isnt like this: "Connecting this wire between my subwoofer amplifier (which is actively crossed over at 40 Hz) and subwoofer provided a surprisingly pleasant increase in the heft of the lowest register. There was much more control exhibited. Any vestige of overshoot and ringing seemed completely banished. Transients were breath taking, exhibiting much more control during the decay. The system not only seemed to go lower (I didn't measure the response) but it was much more concussive, with the lowest frequencies slamming into you rather than just vibrating you. It was a very welcomed change."

He is saying that the wire changed the damping factor SIGNIFICANTLY in the system. I find that to be BS unless he is using a tube amp to run his subwoofers :rolleyes:

Not to mention the voice coil of the driver, i doubt it is silver wire, in a twisted pair configuration.

HOwever, on his little cable "crossover section" if a 25 foot run of wire really does have 5mH of inductance, that is terrible, and quite frankly I dont believe that. That is insane!

6. 04

04 Guest

I am not stupid enough to say that the wire cant make a difference.

It just usually isnt enough difference to be percieced by our ears.

If we can have our ears tricked by mp3's which take a huge chunk out of the signal, then a wire dropping .1v isnt going to be noticable.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i jsut wanted to hook up electricty to your nutz:naughty: :OP:

8. 04

04 Guest

:( But that would hurt...

9. 04

04 Guest

yeah i have

10. chroot

chroot Guest

This website is crap, guys. It does well by pointing out all the second-order effects that a transmission line introduces, like the LPF formed by the inductance and capacitance, and the skin effect.

It does poorly by failing to indicate in any way the magnitude of those effects. They are TINY, TINY, TINY, TINY.

The LPF formed by a 0.2uH series / 28 pF parallel network is tuned at a frequency of 672 MHz! There is simply no way in hell this LC LPF will have any affect at all in audio frequencies.

The skin effect, an effect widely believed to be important in audio applications, is a joke. The skin effect uses the outer 99% of 1 mm conductor at 420 kHz, and the outer 90% of a 1 mm conductor at 3.5 MHz. At audio frequencies, the skin effect is completely, totally, irrelevant.

- Warren

11. 04

04 Guest

:bigthumb:

I was stupid and though that the 5microhenries was millihenries!!!

Yeah the skin effect is redicoulous :thumbdown:

I even believe the whole OFC copper is BS. I once read that the impurities in copper give it a lower resistance than a non OFC cable of the same size.

12. icgraven

icgraven Guest

Oxegyne Free Copper is a frucking crock, gues what happens tro that OFC once you strip trhe wire:rolleyes:

13. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

:big grin: :bigthumb:

14. 04

04 Guest

:rolleyes:

We have already been over this. How the hell am I supposed to know that when you said "good" you really meant expensive? If by good equipment, you mean very expensive, then I retract my previous statement and apologize for trying to fool everyone.

Last time this came up, I told you I did compare several cables. They weren't the "expensive" kind, but I swapped several cables, rca patch, and toslink. There was no difference. If I happen upon a large sum of money, I will be sure to spend some of it on some high end cables, so I can make a good comparision! :bigthumb: