Yet another iPhone thread, thinking about buying one, have a few ?'s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

First of all, I have searched around the internets, but I guess I must not be connecting the dots properly, or not understanding the context of what I've been searching for, so here goes.

So ever since they came out, I've really wanted one. I dropped a lot of money on an unlocked SE W810i months before the iPhone was released, so have held off on purchasing yet another expensive cell phone. Since I haven't been ready to purchase one until recently, I haven't really been following what's going on regarding hacking the device, and such.

Anyways, first question, can the 2yr contract with AT&T be circumvented? I've fulfilled my 1yr contract long ago. I don't plan on switching providers, but I don't care for commitments at all. Quite frankly, I find it asinine that you'd have to sign a 2yr contract after dropping $500 on a new phone. Is there any way around this?

Second question. What's up with all of these "hacks" and such for the device? I've heard of "jailbreaking", I assume it just allows you to use the phone with other providers, and/or install 3rd party apps. I'd be afraid of bricking my phone, but what are the big benefits to going through the procedure?

Lastly, I'm a little apprehensive about purchasing one at the moment, due to rumor of a 3G device being released sometime this year. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess. If temptation is overwhelming, I'll probably just pull the trigger.

Just looking for a few thoughts on the topic :wavey:

Edit: upon further research, it seems I can circumvent the initial "Activation" on an iPhone. Would this allow me to avoid a 2yr contract, or could I still get locked in by adding an iPhone data plan to my AT&T service? :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. offensive

offensive stfu faggot

Just buy one, jailbreak, unlock it, and pop your sim in.

Contract circumvented.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

:werd:

4. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Google ZiPhone if youre on OSX then download the new version of ijailbreak and youre set.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

activate = get around the initial at&t contract checker thing in itunes
    jailbreak = get root access to the phone + the ability to install apps and customise things
    unlock = allow the phone to work with other sim cards

6. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

OK. I think at first, what I would be most interested in is "activating" my phone. I have hacked phones in the past (Motorolla) and am not too concerned with getting in too deep. Just wanna get it working on the network w/o being locked into a contract. Now, regarding "unlocking" the phone, is this just so I could use another provider's SIM (T-Mobile, for example) or am I going to have to unlock the phone to get my existing AT&T SIM to work with the iPhone?