GUN Yet another first handgun thread

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Manitoba_Homegrown, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Manitoba_Homegrown

Manitoba_Homegrown New Member

First, I've already read the sticky.

Second, I'm on canadian soil, so I had to ask the government if it was okay. They approved, so that takes care of the preliminaries.

I have plenty of experience with long guns and have been to the handgun range about a dozen times this year, so I'm not totally green.

I have seen a new M&P 9 for $580 cnd with two free mags included. Is this a good deal? the next best price on this firearm is 700 bucks. My main concern is price since this hobby is expensive.

Does this seem like a decent deal and a good way to start off with a ceneterfire pistol? I don't have any strong leanings towards any particular pistol, I just want something for range use only that will work reliably, eats cheap ammo, and not cost too much.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1582007

To address this common question, most people want advice on a first handgun. So here is WMD's most often given suggestions.

You say:
    "I want a pistol. Not too expensive, but reliable and accurate. I will be doing range practice and will have it for home defense. I have [never shot a gun before or only shot some rifles infrequently]."

We say:
    Good choices for a semi-automatic pistol are plenty for less than $600. There are some exceptions, but for good quality, you should budget at least $400-500 for the pistol itself. There is nothing wrong with buying used, but you should take a friend who knows guns or trust your gun dealer to know that you don't get a ragged on beater or a lemon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two most important things you should do when buying a handgun are:

- Invest in safety courses to learn how to safely handle a pistol. Info is commonly available at your local gunshop or police department.

- Go out to a gun store and handle the guns you're considering, and it's always recommended that you rent your choices from a range or borrow from a friend to try shooting them BEFORE buying. Several hundred dollars is a good chunk of change to throw down on one little piece of metal, there's no reason you shouldn't be confident your choice is right for you. Everyone's hands are different, what i am comfortable with you may not even be able to hold properly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, guns come in different calibers, or bullet sizes. The most popular choices for general purpose handguns currently are 9x19mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG. For your purposes, any of these with decent quality ammuniton will do well.

There is a never-ending, Ford vs. Chevy, Blonde vs. Brunette, Import vs. Domestic argument among experienced shooters regarding which caliber is "best". The best caliber is the one YOU SHOOT BEST WITH. In the real world, 100% hits with your Peashooter is infinitely better that 90% hits with your Asskicker Special Ops Turbo Magnum Eagle 9000.

Most people find that when they are just learning, the 9mm offers good results with lower recoil "kick" compared to the other choices. To boot, good practice ammo is available cheaply at almost any Walmart. 9mm is the caliber we commonly recommend if you have little or no handgun experience. It will grow with you as you gain experience, and you can always sell your gun later if you want to "move up".

In our price range and caliber choice, you can find the following excellent choices, though this list is not all-inclusive. Preference is all yours:

-Glock 17
    -Springfield XD
    -Beretta 92
    -S&W 5906
    -Used Heckler & Koch USP
    -Used SIG Sauer P226
    -Ruger P-series
    -Walther P99
    -CZ 75 or 85
    -sigPRO SP2009

If you would like something that is big enough to handle but small enough that you can carry concealed when you get your carry permit:

-Glock 19
    -Springfield XD
    -Used Heckler & Koch USP Compact
    -Used SIG Sauer P228 or P229

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

dunno what the prices are like in general in canada, but people really seem to like the M&P series. I say if you like the feel of it, go for it.

4. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Desert eagle :hsugh:

5. Manitoba_Homegrown

More expensive due to smaller markets and increased gov't red tape.

6. Manitoba_Homegrown

:hsugh:
    too many people at the range would be asking me questions about it.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if you like the way M&P's feel i'd say get one. from everything i've read they're excellent firearms

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

M&P or Glock for a 1st handgun.

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Thanks for putting the M&P in that list. Asshole.

Hater.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:hsugh: blame kellyclan for not editing his sticky :mamoru2: