Year Round Health?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by njftw, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njftw

njftw New Member

At what percent bf would you have to be for others to consider it not as healthy to keep year round? I got my bf% checked today, I'm at 12% and I want to get it down around 6-7% and keep it year round... is that ok or should I not keep it for that long?

In all actuality I probably wont get to keep it that long because I do want to clean/bulk during the winter, but for this thread's sake, would it be safe to?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

i think the question might not be is it healthy year round, but rather are you able to keep it that low for that long :eek4:

3. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

"According to an article from Medscape.com, the American Dietetic Association recommends that men have 15-18% body fat and women have 20-25% body fat. Healthy male athletes might be as low as 5-12% body fat, and healthy female athletes could be as low as 10-20%."

so i say if u can keep urself under 15% and u dont do sports u're in great shape

4. njftw

njftw New Member

Yeah, cardio for me isn't a problem. I walk everyday on the treadmill(incline) for 40 minutes and burn anywhere from 400-600 calories, sometimes 2 a days...I guess I'm just motivated as of the last month. I'll also run randomly, couple of miles at a time or play a bunch of bball even though I don't necessarily like the sport it's good cardio

But yeah, no doubt it will be hard, I've been dieting for 4 weeks now and it isn't THAT bad...I guess we'll just have to wait and see once I get to my goal...

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

How much do your weigh?
    What speed and incline do you walk at?

6. njftw

njftw New Member

Well I weighed myself today at 171 :wtc: I'm 5'10. I know I'm skinny but oh well.

I set the incline at an 8 or 8.5 (out of 15) and walk at a 3.5-3.9 pace... actually gives a good burn.

7. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

~8% seems healthy to me, since that is something that i keep usually.

I don't get fat though.

8. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I usually keep the incline to 7.5 to 12 and walk between 3 or 3.5. I also though like to punch my weight at 100lbs. Motivates me more when the calories burned is so little. The machines are also notorious for over estimating calories burned.

9. NUDES

NUDES New Member

i maintain around 35% year round im sure u can do it too bro

10. TZ

TZ Banned

beast

11. njftw

njftw New Member

dirtyyyy

I'll keep that in mind so i can push myself more... if anyone says looking like you Timber isn't what they shoot for, then they are just wasting time...

Also, I've heard how the mills are good about raising numbers, so thats why about 2-3 days a week I'll give myself a 2-a-day.

edit: btw Timber, what bf% are you at these days?

12. njftw

njftw New Member

Haha, can I get a pic of you so i can hang it on my wall for motivation :mamoru:

:bigthumb: do what you do bro

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Actually 176-178lbs right now. Was 181 lbs when I came back from Cali. But yeah... I is skinny. Skinny fat now though.

14. njftw

njftw New Member

timber are you seriously at 176 right now? How is that possible and look like you do?

15. NUDES

NUDES New Member

being lean on pictures gives a sort of illusion of size. lean dudes always look huge on internet pics. not to say timber doesnt have size, he does.. but thats the general rule

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

cause his waist and bicep measurements are practically equal :mamoru:

pics? i bet you're still cut the hell up and if that = skinnyfat then where do i sign up? :o

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I think this largely depends on how much muscle you carry around as well.

I would expect someone who is skinny and works out half assed to be able to carry 8% all year around. However, for someone with a large amount of muscle and weight carrying 8% all year could be harder... A more reasonable number would be 10-12% I think.

I guess my point is, this question is way to general and relative to have a single answer. I guess for a typical healthy male that works out regularly a good number would be between 8-13%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.