Yeah, I've been hiding under a rock...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by torquehead, Jan 28, 2005.

1. torquehead

torquehead New Member

So it turns out I don't have the foggiest idea what new computer technology has come about in the last 5+ years. Please go ahead and fill me in...I've got some questions. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What do you need to take full advantage of SLI?
    How does SLI work?
    Do any AMD motherboards have PCI-E slots?
    What's the slowest refresh time for an LCD monitor for decent gameplay?

I graduate this coming May, and would like to start assembling my computer by September. Are there any price breaks or new technologies set to occur/hit the market later this year, where I'd want to wait a short while longer?

I'd like to get 4 GB of DDR Ram for my motherboard (that's the max I've seen for any motherboards so far), but is there any compelling reason to get DDR2 or whatever? I'd like to make a gaming computer, but chances are I won't be gaming all that much on it...I just like having an overbuilt computer that's got little to no lag time.

Anyway, much thanks for your help. :hsd:

2. james99654

james99654 New Member

4 gigs, jesus christ, I have 1 gig of pc 2700 and I have no problems at all. I don't see why in the hell you'd want 4 gigs of ram. That's just insane.

If you want a gaming computer you shouldn't need anymore than a gig of ram. Especially if you just want a computer with little to no lag. Go with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ about a gig of pc 3200 ram, good video card and you should be just fine. haha.

3. torquehead

torquehead New Member

:squintd: yeah...4 gigs so I won't need to track down the same make/manufacture of RAM next time I want to upgrade...excessive, yeah, but it'd be a graduation present for myself.

Any other suggestions? What should I look for in a "good" video card? Is a 256 MB video card by itself good, or should I use two video cards...? I'm really not sure of my computer-building abilities now that I've been reading other peoples' PC posts these last couple weeks.

Thanks again for all of your help! :)

4. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

check out the building guides an www.anandtech.com, that should steer you in the right direction

my basic suggestion
    Fastest athlon 64 you can afford
    gig of PC3200
    SATA hard drive
    geforce 6800 (2 if you can afford it)
    SLI mobo
    and most important of all... lights, lots of them

5. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Torque, maybe if you gave us a budget we could help you out, and yes 4 gigs of RAM is overkill. There maybe maybe 0.5% of the PC population who would actually need that much RAM.

6. torquehead

torquehead New Member

Yeah, sorry...didn't give a budget in mind. I'd like to spread the construction of my computer out over the course of a few months. Keeping that in mind (and impractically thinking I'll be well paid after graduation), I'd like to keep the computer at around $2000 or $3000. Once it gets past the $1500 mark, I'll probably put cheaper components in until I have a better handle on my finances.

Thanks for your suggestions so far, folks.

7. Goonigoogoo

Ok so i'll shoot for 1500 "building" you a PC. Just a couple of quick questions.

1. Main purpose of PC - gaming, editing, etc..... ?
    2. Do you need screen/mouse/keyboard/speakers?

8. torquehead

torquehead New Member

:) Would like to build my computer for gaming, but I'll probably not do nearly enough gaming on it to justify the equipment or expense. Otherwise, it'll probably be running memory-intensive engineering-application programs like AutoCAD, Pro-Engineering, MatLab, Simulink, Mathematica...perhaps some finite element analysis software. Junk that takes a while to load, creates huge files, and requires a really sharp picture.

And yeah, I'd like to get a new mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers for it. I'd like a black and silver setup, perhaps cordless mouse/keyboard? I don't know about that, though...LCD monitor, I think.

Currently I'm wired down and have a big CRT monitor. My computer's tied into my desktop stereo system right now, and I'm kinda looking to upgrade all around.

Thanks for your help, man :wiggle:

OH, by the way...can anybody explain those questions I had in my first post?

9. Goonigoogoo

Here's the SLI link for now, i'll get to your other questons in a bit, after i build you a PC.

SLI LINK

Some nice articles on SLI, enjoy :)

10. Goonigoogoo

MSI motherboard = 139$

AMD Athlon64 3500+ = 269$

Raptor drive - 74GB = 155$

2 x 1GB RAM = 454$

Antec Sonata Case = 99$

68OOGT graphics card = 400$

120mm Fan (extra) = 15$

Input Devices

Wired Mouse = 35$

Wireless Option = 63$

Speakers

5.1 Speakers = 144$

This build does not include a monitor and exceeds your initial cost of 1500$ by 200$, you can cut your cost by either going with 1GB of RAM for now and upgrade to 2GB when you see fit, or even go with the 6600GT instead of the 6800, but i recommend 1GB of RAM for now and upgrade to 2 when budget sees fit.

Now, for the work you said you'd be doing maybe you'd want an Intel chipset but that might be slightly more expensive, if you are interested in the Intel route let me know, i'll gladly recommend you some equipment.

I recommended you the Nforce3 mobo, although the Nforce4 is available, but i havent seen enough reviews on it yet, plus i have the exact same Mobo that i linked you and its superb!

If you need larger disk space only for storage might i suggest and IDE drive to save money.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

*DO NOT* get an IDE drive. fucking dumbass to recommend that, btw. If you have to save money, drop several hundred dollars and go with 1GB of RAM.

12. Goonigoogoo

Ouch man, don't you think that's a little harsh? The IDE was for storage as a secondary HDD. Take a chill pill man. That's why its bold

13. torquehead

torquehead New Member

Hey, thanks a lot for your help Goonigoogoo! :)

Your reply made me remember another question I had...ECC ram...doesn't that go slower than non-ECC because of the error checking? I'm so ignorant about these things anymore...

Anyway, does anybody else have anything to add or suggest? I'm still a few months off from graduation, and a few more from starting the build. I'm looking to learn and whatnot. :hs:

14. torquehead

torquehead New Member

Could you explain why an Intel would be a better choice than the AMD?

I've only had two computers (the last one I built myself), and they've both had AMD processors...I heard either Intel or AMD runs hotter than the other, and I know Intel boasts a higher clock speed. Is there anything fundamental about one chip over the other that would make it handle intensive engineering programs better than the other?

15. torquehead

torquehead New Member

hah...I may have bungled that reply up...you said chipset, not chip. Same question, I guess, but with different emphasis.

16. Goonigoogoo

Intel cpu's with HT are generally better are multi-tasking than the AMD family, so its a toss up of how much you want to spend and what the machine will mostly be used for. AMD dominate in games.

17. torquehead

torquehead New Member

oh, okay...thanks for letting me know.

I was also thinking about dabbling with water cooling...any good reason why I should stay away? I was curious about it when I first started building my current computer. I think it's a neat idea.

18. Goonigoogoo

I don't trust water cooling one bit, if you don't overclock then its definetly not needed ... one leak and bye-bye everything. I'm gonna head for bed now, so if you have any other questions just post em here and someone will answer you, if not i'll try and get to them in the morning.

19. torquehead

torquehead New Member

Well, I appreciate all of your input. I'll be gone all day tomorrow, I think, so no replies or further questions from me...

And again, any additional suggestions or information from anybody else viewing this thread would be appreciated. The more info I get, the better my computer will turn out.

20. torquehead

torquehead New Member

For sake of argument, let's say I do end up deciding to use water cooling...how much will the noise level decrease compared to a fan on my processor (and potentially other hardware components)?

Anybody have first-hand testamonials?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

most water cooling setups are *louder* than air-cooled.

22. torquehead

torquehead New Member

How's that? From what I understand, the only sources of noise from water cooling would be the fan on the radiator and the sound of the water pump.

If you used a water cooling setup, did you use a kit or build your own? Kinda curious.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've used a couple prefab ones (exos and coolermaster) as well as built a few of my own. My friend and I built one with a TEC that holds -5* C. Very nice setup.

Waterpumps can get loud, and you still need fans running through the radiator... It's by no means quiet, and if you're in a situation to require w/c, then you likely are not looking for a quiet setup.

I would never recommend a w/c setup based on noise... Do it when you need the cooling.

24. torquehead

torquehead New Member

Blast...was hoping someone would endorse watercooling...seems to me like it'd be more fun to build the computer with it rather than without it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, by the way. Anybody else have anything to contribute? Can anybody answer my questions from the first post?

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as for the memory, AMD likes low-latency memory, as where intel needs a high-bus rate. So it depends on what chip/mobo you get.

For AMD, get low-latency DDR, such as Corsair XMS. For Intel, get DDR2.