Yeah, I said It..Turtle Wax!!??

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Apr 2, 2007.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I'm at work right now, so no pics yet, I'll get them ASAP, but I just had to let you all know about this.

I was bored this weekend, and felt like waxing the truck for like the 4th time this month. About a month ago I completely clayed/polished/waxed it with clay magic and the Meg's 3-step process. The truck looked pretty good, but as I mentioned in one of my other threads, it lacked that "pool of water" look I want so badly. Well, I went to the garage, and realized I didn't have enough Meg's carnauba wax to do the whole truck, so off to Auto Zone I went. I bought myself another jug of Gold Class wash, and while browsing the wax section, I saw this new Turtle Wax Ice paste polish. I figured, why not?? It was like $12, so it's not like it's gonna bankrupt me! So I went home, washed the truck, and started with the Turtle Wax. This came with an applicator and a microfiber towel in the box. Popped the can open, stuff smelled pretty neat, not that that matters. Off to reading the directions.

You can apply this stuff in direct sunlight!! That was a big benefit for me since I have a 1 car garage that my truck won't fit in. And you can use it on all black plastic trim! Just dampen the pad with water, get some polish on it, wipe on, let it haze, then buff off with the microfiber. Simple enough, off I went.

Well, I found out that you can't use it on all black trim. It didn't like my cowl panel at all. But, my mudflaps, chrome trim, bed rail caps, weatherstripping, all came out looking like new! But how would it shine the paint?? It took me a whopping 15 minutes to apply to my whole truck, an '05 Frontier Crew Cab. Then about 30 to thoroughly buff it out. Now, I wasn't expecting much from Turtle Wax, this was more for fun if anything, but HOLY CRAP! This stuff put the Meg's carnauba and Mother's FX wax I've been using to shame! It still doesn't really have the pool effect, but it is much shinier, and a lot slicker. So for the whole $12 I spent, I have to say, well worth the money!

Now, I'm sure someone will get better results using Optimum or Werkstatt stuff, and I have some Optimum polish on the way, but this stuff really surprised the crap out of me. Just figured maybe someone wanting some good cheap wax would be interested.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ice has decent surface shine, but shit for longevity, and depth.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yeah, it doesn't have the deep look to it, but damn..Turtle Wax, better than a Mother's or Meguiars product?? I was just impressed for what it is. I wasn't expecting a show car shine, but I wasn't expecting what I got either. Still pretty good for $12 IMHO, especially if you need to wax now, and can't wait for an order to come in of Optimum or P21S.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Wait to see how the durability is before you make up your mind which is best. If you have to apply something every two weeks, better look or not, you aren't going to be happy.

I hear some of the Turtle Wax Platinum stuff looks good too.

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well, the standard Meguiars carnauba lasted about 2 weeks, along with mother's FX. But they are just OTC waxes just like the Turtle Wax, so I don't expect it to last long. That's why I have my order in for better stuff. Like I said, I was bored, and felt like trying something new.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  6. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I've never had Megs NXT tech wax last for more than a month, maybe 2.. after that the dirt starts sticking again and it's time for a re-apply. for the first week after waxing it it's friggen amazing and then it starts to diminish.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

From what i understood from a Meguires rep, its becuase all fo the chemicles in their products are biodrgradable, and eventually break down and exaporate. Which removes alot of their shine and protective properties.

Considering this ws a Megs rep, and thats a rather scathing statement, im kind of inclined to believe it.

THough i have found that #21 last MUCH longer then NXT does. Even though they clame NXT should be more durable...:dunno:

8. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Two coats (two base coats with an extra added during one wash in january) of duragloss aquawax lasted me through the entire winter, and only needed light detailing spray to bring back full gloss and depth. Easily one of the greatest overall waxes out there. It is the premier jack of all trades and a master of a few wax that I own (compared to S100, 26, 21, NXT, Nattys, EX, EX-P, 50-50, etc).