A&P Yay, sports photo! Critique my technique in general?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ingen, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Kay, here's the back story. I'm doing this as a freebie to the yearbook dept, so when I (and everyone else) spend 50 bucks on a book, we'll get sharp pics with "clayton petry" under them :tup: Also, i'm getting like 3 credits for helping out, and possibly an internship later this year. I went and asked the asst principal who I should be asking about taking pics at the football games and such... 20 minutes later I had a year long pass to every home game of every sport of the 05-06 year in my hands, and the next day I got my sideline pass for the football game.

Damnit, sports photo is hard :tdown: don't let anyone lie to you, my knees still hurt. I was all over the sidelines with my ****ty tripod (yeah, I'm gonna get a monopod soon) and my lens that wouldn't do any better than f4-5.6 :tdown: again. Oh well, I had a ton of fun, though I'll appreciate being standing next time rather than kneeling. Check out the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No photoshop on any of them, except levels to compensate for my lack of light and such :tdown: the blur is the players moving, most of the time, unless I'm panning after a certain one. This was my first time shooting any kind of sports.. waddayathink?

Here's the rest: http://photobucket.com/albums/y133/ClaytonP/Wildcats Football/?addtype=pc&multi=1

Yeah, I know that's a lot for critiquing. but at least gimme some feedback... I was shooting with a tripod with 1 leg out and I was down on my knees cuz my pod sucks.

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Some of them are very nice, with 1 minus. Little blurred and over saturated in my opinion.

3. redna

redna New Member

That last one looks cool. It looks like there is some zoom blur to me.

4. eof

eof New Member

I would suggest not branding pictures with your name when they are nothing special. Either that or make your watermark smaller....it is distracting a ugly. Your soul is dogshit....

5. Ingen

Ingen New Member

pfft. I know they're nothign special, but they're better than last year's yearbook photos, and I don't want them takinga walk without at least a little credit to me on them. So, this way, they don't walk anywhere :p

6. Slowta

Slowta OT Supporter

lol they arent that good :rofl:

7. redna

redna New Member

They might not be perfect, but I'll bet he learned a little something and by the end of the year he might just be better than he was... No one starts off winning pulitzer prize winning photos and it's okay to be proud enough of your work to put a watermark on it.

8. Ingen

Ingen New Member

THANK YOU! :) I was shooting through a 120 dollar lens alongside people with 1200 dollar ones. For the equipment limitations and the fact that it was my first time evar, I feel like I did OK, and I am a little proud of them regardless how good or bad they are in the grand scheme of things. Hell, by the end of the game I was better than I was at the beginning!

And the yearbook photos sucked, so i'm calling this an accomplishment :dunno: any equipment advice to help me improve? Try to keep the price down a little...

9. redna

redna New Member

well if you are on a budget, you could go for one of these:

[​IMG]

They're only about $80,000 US if you can find one..

10. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Oh hell, is that all?

f8 for teh lose :p

11. eof

eof New Member

What lens are you using? 70-300?

12. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Yeah, 70-300 G. and :tdown: is from wehre I ripped this from the other forum I posted it on, where that would work :( since I didn't bother to correct it, and it has been referenced, I won't.

But yeah, 70-300 g.

13. IndianPrincessSIP

IndianPrincessSIP New Member

Of all of them, I like the last the most. The others felt like standard yearbook/hometown newspaper shots, great for the players, girlfriends and family, maybe even coaches , but didn't mean much to me.

The last now, that has some spirit, it feels alive, active, like your zoning in. I'd work on trying to recapture that feeling of the game, if it was an accident, it was a good one.

14. eof

eof New Member

Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II > 70 - 300 G

15. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Yeah, but I bought my 70-300 G 4 years ago :run:

And honestly, if I upgrade to anything, it'll at least be some kind of constant aperture something or other.

16. CRC

CRC New Member

D70 :hsugh:

Get a faster lens. Where are all the good pics at 300mm? Why are they all zoomed out?

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I have a feeling they wouldn't be too sharp at 300mm :hsugh:

That's cool though what you're doing, I bet you will learn a lot about sports photography by the end of the year. I did that for the Ski Team at my school. I may do it this year too even though I'm done with High School :noes: I still have friends on ski team and they asked me if I would do it this year too.

18. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Yeah, lemme go shit some money and I'll go buy a d2x+sb800+70-200f2.8+300f2.8

:fawk:

19. CRC

CRC New Member

:cool:

I wouldn't show my pics otherwise

20. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

need faster shutter speed most definately

21. mojito

mojito New Member

the name and date is awful, too big, and not even a © symbol on it.

the pics are all soft and needed a higher shutter speed. too much DOF, get closer if you can't get a better lens. rent a big lens for the next game maybe

acticipate where a play might happen and pick your spot accordingly

no fake blue

22. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Well, no shit :hsugh:

23. CRC

CRC New Member

Yeah, rent a 300mm 2.8. Theres a place locally that has them for like $30 a day.

24. If you want to put your name on them make it smaller and more in the bottom corner, unless all the pics in your yearbook have people's tags all over them... If that's the case then you gotta have the worst looking yearbook ever.. BTW most of the times under the pictures it will say "(Example: Superman throws the ball to Your Mom. Photo taken by Ron Jeremy)" or something like that... That's how it is in most publications that I know of... :dunno:

Also... I donno if you need to change your shutter speed. 1200 would probably be adequate, I really don't like seeing blurry feet and blurry people. That's just me though. I never saw a blurry appendage in any of my hs yearbooks, and Sports Illustrated doesn't have blurry hands & feet.. :dunno:

And of corse you know the pics are alittle on the dark side and undersaturated.

25. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I know about the name thing, it's just so you can't take a crop and leave my name out of it (most of them need some cropping anyway). My current shutter speed is something like 1/120th, which is far on the inadequate side :( I'm getting a flash, or something else (i dunno) to combat this problem.