Yay for fast shipping v. New computer/quick question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

God I love newegg, ordered on sunday and its already here today with the normal 3-day shipping. Suprisingly I ordered a mouse from buy.com on sunday also, using the free 7-9 day shipping, and it got here today as well :eek3:. Living in the same area as the shipping locations ftw!
    Here's what I got btw: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2914706

I'm still waiting on the ram and power supply though, hopefully that comes tomorrow and I'm all set besides the keyboard I got on ebay.

Anyways, I had a quick question, I got the 250 + 500GB Seagate deal from newegg. I just noticed the 250 GB is a 8mb cache and the 500 is 16mb, thought they were both 16mb for some reason. When I read the reviews i heard the 500 has a 8.5ms seek time and the 250 has a 11ms seek time as well.

Now what would be faster, to just keep the 250 as the main drive with windows and main programs, or to partition the 500gb out and use part of that as the main drive. I've never partitioned before so I'm not sure if this slows it down or not? All I know is people say to use Norton's Partition program. My main concern is if I ever had to reformat I wouldn't want to reformat the whole 500gb drive which I was planning on using for storage.

I'll post pics of completed build once I finish, hopefully I'll get it done this weekend :x:
    Thanks again to Creative for helping me pick out parts and edit my list some.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

First off, use the Seagate CD to boot from and format the drives. It should be faster.

As for which drive to use, you might not see a big enough difference in the 250 as your C compared to part or all of the 500 as your C.
    You would see it in benchmark programs designed to benchmark HDDs but that's all.

If the driver were a 5400RPM and 7200RPM, then you would really see a difference.

I would just go a head and use the 250 as your C and the 500 for whatever plan to use it for.

I'm not a big fan of partitioning.
    Unless I were going to partition main to have something like 3-5GB as the first partition and put the swap/pagefile on there and the OS on the next partition. Then maybe but I don't care for that all that much either.

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

hm thanks, guess I'll just stick with 250 C: and 500 D:
    Hopefully get a raptor in the future after i bury this hole in my pocket from this build + christmas gifts.