GUN Yar's Shot show report

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, Jan 19, 2009.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I kind of dropped the ball of taking pictures but I did get a few. Understand I was at the show for bussiness and that was my primary job there and what I was getting paid for. So I was running around doing sit downs with various companies to buy and sell, not take pictures.

The flight out to shot show was the worst ever. Since my boss didn't go he flew Ed and I out there coach red eye. Worst turbalance I ever experienced and 4 hours of it. I was not feeling well and got zero sleep. The next morning we got a early check in, got breakfast and went strait to the show.

Compared to other Shot Shows this one was not as good. I like Show Show in Vegas much more as it's a better venue. There also was not as much innovative stuff out there. I'm way tired so I'm going to do the best I can.

The best product I saw out there that I am immediately going to purchase for myself is the RCBS bullet feeder. Thing is like a kiss bullet feeder but less expensive, smaller, and works really really well. About $500 While I was at RCBS there were two young dudes standing behind me. I was joking around with them because their last name was tubbs. So I said "You know there is a david tubbs who is like the worlds greates rifle shooter". They said yeah that's our dad he's standing behind you. I turned around and was speachless. I hang out with all sorts of pro shooters but david tubbs is in a whole other universe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dillon has a new 50 BMG progressive press and it is impressive. I want one if nothing else to have in my garage to impress my shooting buddies. $800 + $400 for dies.

[​IMG]
    Yeah I look like shit, zero sleep, and 8 hours on my feet.

Colts new AR with the short buffer and folding stock was probably kind of cool. The buffer and spring are partially moved into the upper. The upper no longer can pivot on the front pin, You got to pop both pins out and slide the upper forward to disassemble. I though the stock had too much flex. This rifle is a gas gun. Colt did not have their piston upper at the show.

Of all the new piston uppers The Para was the most impressive. the folding stock is reasonably solid with little flex. The handguard is very good and not super oversized like what you are used to see on piston AR's. According to todd J the recoil impulse if very good. There were videos of him shooting it with the butt stock on his nose.

S&B has a new verion of the short dot out. I like the recticle but somehow the glass did not look as clear as I remembered their older short dot was last year. I think the call it the short dot law enforcement or something like this.

Nightforce had the best new scope. A 2.5 x 10 varible that is shorter and lighter than any I've seen in 3x9. Really good glass, illuminated recicle, ton of eye relief. I really want one. If you had the means this is what I would recommend as the best 3 gun scope out there today.

Trijicon has several new scopes out. The new short acog is 1.5x and pretty sexy looking. It is otherwise a acog and nothing really special. For the internet shooter that wanted a sexy optic to put on a rifle to post pics on AR15.com this would be the one you got sack rode for. For a solider that wanted a super rugged compact battle sight it is not a bad option either.

The 5x20 with target turrets was pretty good. Wish it was a 2nd focal plane recticle it is a 1st focal plane. Was mainly considering this optic for a 6mmAR project. For those that don't know to read mils on a 1st focal plane you have to use the scope at the highest magnification. With a 2nd focal plane scope you can read mils at any magnification. So I'm passing on this scope.

The new true 1x-4x 30mm accupoint is as awesome as expected. The the accupoint currently avaliable is a 1.25x4x and a 1" tube. This new accupoint is going to be even faster and brighter. All the serious 3 gun guys who shoot tactical class were all begging to be put on wait list for these scopes. Taran Butler told me he even has to wait (did not sound happy). When I asked him was was the best thing he saw (at the show) he said it was the accupoint.

There are two version of the micro reflex sight. One that has no battery and completely fiber optic and tritium. Was pretty good except the lens was really blue (one of my pet peeves). They had another model that used a battery and I think it's the new best micro reflex sight out there. Good lens, lifetime warrentee. Battery life is like 6 months constant on (or so they claim). Retail is $600+ 3 month wait.

Cmore has a new micro relext sight. I was very impressed with it. The price point is more managable at $320 retail. Has a on off swith in the correct location on the top of the sight and not the sides or back. You can turn it off, standard setting, or super bright. The battery also goes in on the side and not the bottom. No more taking the sight off to change batteries. They also claim that battery life is months constant on, standard setting. We are think we are going to use these sights to replace the doctors for you custom race glock builds.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This show was seriously lacking in booth babes. The EAA chicks were probably the best ones. Granted I did not walk the entire show but it is nothing like the past vegas shot shows were every row has serious T&A

[​IMG]

Here is Ed our VP of sales playing at the HK booth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HK had some new precision competition 308 which I took a picture of just because I thought it was weird of HK to try to attract a competition crowd instead of their usually military, leo, operation jack baur jibber jabber.

[​IMG]

Eotech was serving free beer and snacks so we spent a good amount of time there. They got a new compact eotech that was pretty cool if your into eotechs. Wish I got a pic of it. They also had this new granade sight that was about the same size that was side mounted on a rifle. I thought it looked cool although it had no purpose without a granade launcher attached. It was cool to look though as it had this verticle ladder of hack marks that scrolled as you elevated the muzzle. Was like no reticle I ever saw. It's not like you saw the entire recticle, you hand to elevate the muzzle and as you did the number changed. No way to take a picture of it you kind of have to really be behind the rifle.

Man I'm really tired and not going to type anymore. If you got individual questions about something I forgot to mention I'll see how motivated I am to talk about it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Let me know when you get pricing on glocks.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

when is glockworx going to get a booth?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I got pricing. We are going to order in the next few days. We should probably talk sometime soon.

Forgot to mention glock had their new 4th gen glock that they are not calling 4th gen. Right now it is only avaliable as a glock 22. The tecxture on the grip is very good, but the angle, thickness and back strap are still the same. The rear cocking serrations don't feel any better so I'm callinging it purely cosmetic. The light rail look to be the exact same, not like the G21sf

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

We will do a booth at the vegas shot show in 2010. We will have a booth at trexpo (law enforcement show) in 09

7. So HK's "competition" 308 looks to have a suppressor, quad rail, and collapsible stock without and adjustment on the cheek-piece? :rofl:

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah to be honest HK is a joke.

So was Larue. I took a pic of mark larue and he asked me to delete it.

9. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

are you kidding? because that happened to a couple other people :rofl:

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

grenade sight sounds like a clinometer gauge.

Look something like that pic on the bottom, Ray?

[​IMG]

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah it was a joke, i heard about it happeneing to horse dick.

Larue really didn't have anything new out. I looked at their AK iron dot and it is pretty solid. I then noticed that mark larue is hanging in the back looking all serious. The rest of the staff is busting their ass and he is just chilling.

So I thought maybe you guys want to see what mark larue looks like so I took a pic. He then looks up and walks up to me. He asked "Did you just take a picture?" I said yes, if it's a problem I'll delete it. He then said let me see it "So I showed him". "He then said "yeah would you delete it, you don't want a picture of that ugly fucker and smiled". He was reasonably nice about it so I deleted it.

12. Someone should buy that "competition" model and take it to a match! I think it would be legal in F/TR or F Open.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah that's it exactly. As you tilted the gun it scolled the telemetry up and down. Was pretty cool in a whiz bang high tech sort of way.

14. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

I fairly new here, a XD fanboi, and yar is still one of my favorite people thus far.

:hug:

Thanks for all the pics and the write ups.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So the new big zoom triji is SFP or FFP? I think you got the two confused in your post. FFP is where the reticle appears to "grow", and the demarcations stay static. SFP is what most people are used to, and where the reticle demarcations change.

Can't believe you met Tubb. He's my personal Jesus, and I'd kill to have a chance to hang out with him.

16. texchef

texchef Guest

Is the SHOT show open to the public or just business? I've heard both.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You didn't get a chance to see the MARCH glass did you? I think it was in the Kelby booth.

I heard some of the stuff they were showing was absolutely CRAZY sick.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The lack of quality booth babes is disappointing.

Yar you don't seem to have much love for the aimpoint micros, how come?

I have a bad feeling its going to be a while before I can get my hands on the accupoint.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I must admit and this hurts to do so. The springfield custom shop had some cool XD's. They had a full XD M open gun with slide ride jpoint, and a real comp. They also had a xd-m with a real clean burried bomar style sight in a manner I'd not seen before.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah I'm got it switched up, tired and the damn phones will not stop rining here. Typing this while some customer is telling me his life story.

Anyway the recticle changes with magnification.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

They had some aimpoint micros on pistols, shotguns, and bolt guns. I like the aimpoint micros on those applications but not on AR's With a AR you need a really tall mount to lift it enough to be usable. I would just run a bigger tube if that was the case. One something like a pistol it makes much more sense if you like tube sights. I myself prefer reflex sight for 1x magnifcation dot sights. To me they are faster

22. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sort of both. You don't *have* to be a business to get in, but it's hard otherwise.

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I looked at all the scopes I can find but we missed several sections of show as we were really busy. If I did see March it did not stand out in my mind. There was a japanese scope that was pretty impressive but at the $1000 price point. If it were $500 they would sell well and get some name recognition. At $1000+ your now compeating with night force etc.

David tubbs was cool. He was a little embarrased by what I said and Ed and I were too shocked to even say hi. I pretty much turned around and my jaw dropped and mouth stopped working. He read my name tag gave me a nod and walked off. About 2 minutes later ed asked me if that really happened.

24. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

It's "in-the-biz" only. It's pretty easy to get in if you know someone, though. Funny thing is, the guy who was getting my passes was in a meeting when I got there and the guard let me right in. I was walking around for over an hour without any passes and probably could have the rest of the day.

That is, until the LaRue gestapo caught me :rofl:

25. johan

johan Active Member

this new scope, is it the 2.5-10x32 you're talking about?
    Or another one?

I'm trying to decide on the 2.5-10x24 vs...something else. Maybe the best alternative to an NF...is the new NF