GUN Yar, AB, all you other comp shooters stance question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I was wondering what stance you are useing in your comps.

Do you shoot isosolease (sp)
    Weaver modified weaver what?

Isosolease feels funky as hell to me and I am way more comfortable in a weaver but I find I am way more accurate with isisolease.

Comments, experiances, just wanna shoot the shit?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

when i first started shooting i only did weaver. it felt better and seemed "cooler" than isosceles.

after learning more than i could have ever imagined, i now only shoot isosceles (or some variation when negotiating a barrier and whatnot).

i find it gives me more control of the weapon, and allows me to move in any direction with a stable shooting platform.

YMMV, but go out and try each one. perhaps take some handgun classes to see what instructors teach - and why.

3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Oh I know ill be shooting isosceles from here on out, I was just wondering what the cansensus was or is on WMD as to which is better.

Not worried about looking cool worried about putting holes in the proper part of the target.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i think that which ever is "better" is ultimately up to you.

there are inherent benefits to isosceles that you may never need, though (like when wearing armor).

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

There's no such thing as a proper stance. You feet Dont matter, really. Lean in, square your shoulders and get a low center of gravity. No sense in programming yourself for a static stance if you're going to be shooting on the move.

The good thing about iso is that it's easier to transition into moving
    360 degrees while remaining in your same shooting format.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

modern isocolese. check the archives

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Your lower half is less important, I always try and maintain good weight distribution so I'm balanced because you will be forced to shoot in many dynamic positions. If it's a standards, and I'm forced to shoot Support/weak hand, I'll put my weak/support side foot forward. Whenever I shoot one handed, I'll put the shoulder of my shooting hand forward and lean into the shot.

Your body, and how you manage recoil will also dictate your lower half when shooting static. when I teach women, or guys of smaller stature, I'll have them put their strong side foot back to help absorb recoil from a static position.

My upper half will almost always be square to the target. My shoulders, elbows and head are my primary check points. Watch how I shoot on the move, my feet are going one way, and my body is square with the target. I will imagine myself as a tank/turret.

The more precise the shot, the lower my center of gravity will get when shooting on the move. The important thing here is not to "duck your head" but lower your body as a whole, if that makes sense, to a point where it feels like I'm sitting down in a chair.