Yahoo UI

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Mar 22, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

anyone particularly familiar with Yahoo UI? they've got some crazy widgets goin there

2. gnp

gnp New Member

yeah i have used it a bit....i like good old prototype though

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

im trying to figure out how the widgets deal with copy and pasting. im trying to copy paste data from Excel onto a DataTable but I dont know what actually happens when i press Ctrl V or hit the Paste button. how does the widget know that data is coming... or something..?

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

oh man... i was reading some stuff and i found that Javascript copy/cut paste from clipboard to browser is disabled in Firefox/Mozilla :(

this would mean that the very feature im trying to code is impossible!!!
    BUT Google Spreadsheet does it seamlessly!! HOW DO THEY DO IT???

:run:

5. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I've been using a lot of YUI for a while. I ditched Fonts and Grids pretty early as it didn't achieve the layouts and screwed with my css too much.

I'm using the Calendar control, and the most I've used is the TreeView, which I've actually hacked and extended myself, so I'm very familiar with it. Also used the Animation quite a bit as well.

I wouldn't call Prototype an alternative; Prototype I'd say is more a very useful JavaScript library, while YUI is targetted at UI and Widgets as its name suggests. I actually use both, Prototype for the AJAX and Forms etc work, and YUI for widgets.

6. gnp

gnp New Member

prototype is not an alternative at all, more like framework...I just prefer it b/c it is simple and a nice starting place. Yahoo UI seemed like a lot of work to learn yet another api, although it is very well commented and documented.

7. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Yeah Prototype rules \o/

It's kind of annoying because I use various parts of javascript libraries so now I have too much JavaScript to include. Sarissa (phasing out in favour of Prototype), Prototype, YUI classes on the same page. ><

8. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

anyone got a solution for this?