A&P XTi vs. 30d vs 20d vs 580ex

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Feb 20, 2008.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

what a fucked up title but I could not think of anything creative first thing in the morning. I currently have the XTi and I am happy with it. It is also my first SLR I have used so I have nothing to compare it to. I have been saving money to buy a 580ex to use with my XTi. but now lately I have been looking over teh 30d and 20d. If I go with the 30d then I dont get my 580ex. If I go with 20d then I am not as far from buying the 580ex as teh 30d would put me, but I am unsure of how good this camera is compared to the XTi.

XTi has sensor cleaner and larger screen then both. But I am not sure if the screen is all that important given that you use the viewfinder

30d and 20d both have more fps, which my main purpose for this camera is filming my kids and football/ cheerleading competitions. the cheering comps are indoors though, hence how the flash has come into play in the first place and I really wont take advantage of the 5fps indoors. but games and such are outdoors. ideally, I think the 30d adn 580ex would be money, but I am having difficulty jusitifing the need if the XTi can take as good of a picture.

so can those who have use a XTi and either the 20d or 30d offer up some help?

2. Spurious

Spurious New Member

If you do up your camera body do it for the FPS alone, you probably wont notice the difference in image quality. Personally I would grip the XTi and get the flash.

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

flash will make more difference and you can keep it as long as you have any eos.

and you're better off getting a few great pics with flash than a lot of meh shots without

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I have a 30D + 580ex ii.. my brother has an XTi. He'd rather add a 580ex than upgrade to the 30D.

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i just upgraded from my xt to a 30d and it makes a world of difference in the feel of the camera. i would recommend going with a 20/30d and a 430ex or 550ex flash. this way you would get the best of both worlds.

6. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

used 550ex and used 20d ftw

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:h5: i went with a used 30d and a used 550ex

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

get the flash, hands-down.

it makes a world of difference in your pictures if you usually use a flash.

why not look at a 550ex or 430ex? they're not bad either.

i agree that the 20/30D is more 'stout' of a camera, but you've gotta think the sensor on the XTi is newer, therefore nicer. :dunno:

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

not nessesarily

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

well I know that I would like a flash that can be flipped between master adn slave and I used to have a 430ex so that is why I was thinking 580ex. (either 1 or 2) but never considered teh 550ex. I will have to look into is and B and H has a used 30d and 20d available.

It seems teh general concenus though is that no matter what, the flash of some sort would be a must regardless of camera, so I am going to go with that first. I would like to say that after that I will look into a new body (20 30d) but knowing me I will want a new lens instead by then. I think I am going to take what I have saved up and embezel some tax refund without my wife knowing and get the flash

11. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

lighting and glass > bodies