A&P XTi or XT? Last chance to change my mind

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dano, Jan 24, 2007.

?

Which would you pick?

1. XTi

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. XT

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I've had my mind set on getting the XTi but I have another buddy dogging it saying it's not that much better than the XT. He owns an XT and I think he's just jealous. :mamoru:

If you were getting one, which would you go with, and why?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

depends on price of each. personally I'd rather get a used 20d

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

Price isn't a factor.

We're just comparing body to body here, nobody make mention of lenses or anything.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

I have a $100 Best Buy gift card I'm going to use, plus my friend is going to buy it for me and she said she could probably get about $90 off the XTi with her employee discount.

Right now, on sale at $849, that would end up costing me $659 for the XTi + lens. :cool:

If I can be persuaded to stay with the XT, then I would definitely go with it for $500, that's a steal. I could use the $100 on another lens or whatever.

Costwise is not my concern. I want the better body no matter what the price, and that's all I'm really trying to get from this thread.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

i'd still get the XT + lens for 500 and use the bestbuy on memory or a case or hard drive or something.

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

That $500 one is just the body, but that's not a big deal. The kit lens is nothing to rave over anyways.

8. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

20d all the way

9. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

wtf, just pick a god damn camera with teh money that you have fdor fuk sake

10. dano

dano OT Supporter

Drinking and browsing OTAP? :rofl:

11. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

sounds like you can get a good deal on the xti, but if money is a concern, you most likely won't notice a difference between the images out of the two cameras

12. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

Id take the XTi for one main reason.

mega pixels.

I like alot of them. I like to crop amd make poster prints.

13. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The conclusion from dpreview's review of the Xti (400d)

Canon changed the entire digital camera market when they revealed the EOS 300D. Launched in a huge way, they clearly expected it to be a big success. The ripples of that day forced prices lower and removed an entire category of camera (the 'prosumer' all-in-one compact). Canon put digital SLRs into the hands of people who would otherwise never had considered one. For better or worse the sub-$1000 digital SLR had arrived. Of course the EOS 300D was a huge commercial success, as too was its successor, the EOS 350D, which followed eighteen months later.
    The EOS 400D (Rebel XTi) turned out to be everything we expected it to be; a progressive upgrade to the already hugely successful EOS 350D (Rebel XT). Image quality was just as good, with plenty of detail, low noise and sophisticated noise reduction at higher sensitivities an well balanced, and thanks to PictureStyles predictable, color and tone. It also has a significantly improved user interface, dust reduction system, 9 point auto-focus, larger LCD monitor and combined status display / setting change system. All this in a camera which is just as small and light as the camera it replaces.
    With all that in mind it's a pity we could so easily have predicted the 400D; with the commercial success of the 350D in their minds Canon clearly didn't want to take any risks with the 'winning formula'. This, however, is perhaps the EOS 400D's achilles heel; that it was so predictable. So predictable in fact that Nikon clearly saw it coming and went one better with the D80; they also managed to close the image quality gap to a degree where the differences are as good as irrelevant.
    There were several areas of the EOS 400D which I thought I would not like but in use were actually perfectly usable. The use of the main LCD monitor for status display worked well; Canon's choice of a white background making a quick glance all you need to know how the camera is configured. Changing settings on the screen also worked well; thank goodness Canon addressed the 'must press SET button' issue we raised with the EOS 350D. Indeed changing some settings turned out to be easier on-screen than on other cameras which require a hold+turn combination.
    Where does the EOS 400D come up short? For me, the camera isn't as comfortable to use as the Nikon or Sony. This may sound petty but I do feel that Canon's tiny grip is a mistake of form over function. Nor does it have the D80's large and bright pentaprism viewfinder, nor can it match the 'eye on the scene' feel you get from the short viewfinder black-out time. The D80 also gives you the surprisingly useful configurable automatic ISO, spot metering, a wider range of customization, wireless flash control, advanced battery information and in-camera retouching. The A100's trump card is it's in-camera CCD-shift Anti-Shake, and we haven't even started to consider Pentax's recently announced K10D which at least on paper is looking like a very strong competitor.
    Thanks to its blood line and low price the EOS 400D will no doubt be a huge success for Canon. However unlike the EOS 350D, for me it's no longer the first or obvious choice, so before jumping on the bandwagon make sure you've weighed up the competition.

They consider the 400d to be a progressive upgrade from the 350d (xt).

But, the kit lens is weak.

So, I'd go with a 400d and a different lens if you can afford it.

If not, get the 350d and a good lens.

Either way, I think you'll be good to go.

14. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I was considering getting one, because of how cheap it was, but the 18-55 kit lens isn't worth a dime, and it was 50 bucks cheaper to get the body only. The Nikon D80, though, came with a nearly 500 dollar kit lens, but wasn't 500 dollars more. If I was going to end up spending 500 dollars on another lens for the Canon anyways, I might as well go for the overall better camera AND get the lens.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I got the D80 and the 18-70mm lens, as a kit for 1100.

I got it from B&H, but can't find the same kit there now.

godfather, what lens did you get?

16. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Used 30D

17. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

I got the 18-70 as well. I'm looking into a cheap 70-300 and a 50mm 1.8. With those two lenses, together about 400 canadian, I'll have the important focal lengths covered. The zoom will be a bit ghetto, but I won't be using it that much.

18. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i'd get the one that comes badged as Nikon...:fawk:

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Not to hijack the thread, but that's the exact same plan I have.

Awesome.

Now i'll go post in your lens thread.

20. dano

dano OT Supporter

What would be a good general purpose lens if I chose the XT? I don't want to spend more than $200 on a lens, and I want it to be good for just about everything. I know I should, in reality, have a few laying about but I'm just starting out and would like to have an all-purpose one to begin with.

Can this be done? :x:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  21. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

If $200 is your lens budget, get the xt and forget the kit lens, focus on getting a better one.

22. Putanginamooo

Putanginamooo New Member

go for the 400D. You'll be greatful for the bigger lcd screen + the local camera store here said the 400D is the best bang for the buck. Picture quality is actually better than the 20D + 30D.

23. mojito

mojito New Member

the local camera store said it so it must be true :rofl:

24. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

25. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

:ugh: in what sense?