GUN XS Big Dot sights demo *video*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ShackleMeNot, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

We shot a little demo video that is an extra on our new Fighting Pistol DVD. It's James Yeager shooting pepper poppers at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards with XS Big Dot sights.

The most common complaint you hear/read about the Big Dot sights is that they are fast up close but they aren't good for making hits past 7-10 yards. It's total bullshit and the video shows that nicely. The truth is that most people can't shoot regardless of what sights they are using and blaming the sights is easier than getting more skill. XS Big Dot sights are the best pistol sights currently made for defensive shooting. They are a fighting sight and not a target sight but as the video shows you can still make precise hits with them.

Download the video here!

More info about XS sights:
    http://www.xssights.com/

2. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

wow...! :eek3:

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm still learning my factory sights so I may just be ignorant, but this graphic doesn't make sense to me...

If I'm reading it right, it is saying that at close ranges you should essentially cover the intended point of impact with the "dot", as it says the point of impact will be within the dot.

But then it says that at extended ranges I should align the intended point of impact with the top of the "dot". How do you not end up shooting low?

If you align the front and rear sights consistently as the graphic shows, I don't see how lowering the axis of the bore relative to the intended point of impact doesn't end up in low shots...?

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

big dot vs. standard 24/7 ?

5. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

i was just thinking the same thing... :confused:

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The top edge of any front sight is the true point of aim for the sighting system. All that graphic is showing is that up close where precision is secondary to speed you should use the whole dot and your hits will be contained somewhere in the dot covered area. At further distance or for a more precise shot you should aim using the top edge of the front sight placed over where you want the round to go and you will get your hits at the finer point of aim.

I hope that makes sense.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Who is that guy walking around downrange after the 100yrd shot?

8. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

probably a 19

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

One of our instructors who was resetting the popper after each shot. Good eye.

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Stock Glock 19.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

:dunno: I have a grand total of 2 weeks and 200 rounds of experience with my Glock so I can't really argue other than to say the graphic seems counter-intuitive.

I understand what you're saying with regard to speed > precision at close ranges, the graphic just doesn't express that well, at least to me.

Not trying to nitpick their marketing materials, just trying to understand.

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What kind of holster is that he's using?

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

What sprite is asking, albeit unclearly, is how do you do holdover with the XS sights if you're supposed to use the top edge of the front sight at longer ranges? I've always found that you need a certain degree of holdover at 100 yds, even with hotter loads, from a G19. That, and a lot of practice. I can make offhand pepper popper hits almost 50% of the time at 300 yards with my rifle, but put me past 50 yards with my pistol, and I really suck. A lot of it has to do with point of aim being above the target, and not being able to see the front sight and the target at the same time.

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

People tend to over estimate pistol caliber bullet drop at 100 yards. It isn't as much as you think. If you are aiming WAY over the top of something it probably means you are jerking the trigger when you shoot.

15. You know if you practice, hitting a man sized target at 100 meters isn't very difficult at all.

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Looked on their webpage and it kind of looks like one. Probably is b/c I know Shackle recommends blade-tech so I assume that is what they use.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I like Blade-tech products except for their tek-lok attachment system. It's shit and should be avoided.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What are your feelings on a belt holster vs. a paddle holster for OWB?

19. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Their training vidoes don't work for anything except a Glock 19

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If only that was true...

21. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Sorry, I missed your question.

Paddle holsters tend to be weaker designs than belt holsters. We have broken MANY paddle holsters during retention exercises by ripping the holstered gun off the paddle. Fobus holsters are the absolute worst for this. All Fobus holsters are crap but their paddle holsters are total shit. It takes very little pressure to get the gun. Paddle holsters are convenient but they aren't secure.

I wear an IWB Blade-tech holster every day and have no problems with it. OWB holsters tend to get caught on furniture and car seats/seatbelts more and they are more likely to print. You have to wear a thicker cover garment like an over shirt, jacket or vest. For the range OWB holsters are fine but then you are probably not training like you should carry so don't use a different holster on the range than you use for your CCW.

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thanks for the detailed answer.

The gun I'm looking for a holster for is a Glock 34. I already am going to get a Blade-tech IWB holster for my Glock 26 for concealed carry but I don't plan on conceal carrying the 34 ever.

23. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

No problem. I hope it helps.

24. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

25. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I'm still not sold on the XS sights. What do they do that Mepro's don't? To me, the video shows that Yeager is a great shot, not that the sights allow quicker aquisition in normal and low-light situations.

Basically, I'm going to have to find another 19 with XS's on it that I can actually try for a while in normal and lower light shooting to see how it compares. No video can do that for me, even if the shooting is impressive. I'd hate to spend the $150 or so just to find out that the XS sights added no significant advantage for me.