xpinchx's road to recovery - no lifting the past year, plus a huge arm break.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by xpinchx, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I've never been a huge lifter, but I used to do okay. I stopped working out around this time last year due to school and I never really picked back up after the semester ended. My numbers weren't that impressive (S: 200, D: 250, and i forget what my bench was.) In addition I had a pretty traumatic experience when I broke my arm last October. My diet went to shit after that and I started drinking beer at parties instead of my usual seagram's and diet 7-up. I blew up to 226 lbs around new year's 2006. I entered the OT weight loss contest in the main forum and got to where I'm at now - 213lbs. Not that impressive given the time span (3 months.)

The arm:
    Compound fracture.
    [​IMG]

2 steel plate, 13 screws.
    [​IMG]

20 some stitches, not that it matters (there's a surgical incision on the inside of my forearm)
    [​IMG]

Height: 6'5"
    Starting weight 3/13/07: 213lbs

So here I am. I've decided to pick the weights back up and get my diet under control. I'm doing my usual christopher's routine with a few slight adjustments. I don't have any specific goals, I'd just like to get my numbers back up to where they were while my arm gets better, and get into better "shape." I really don't want to bulk, which I can't really do yet anyway because I can't lift very heavy. I don't want to drop a ton of weight, I just want to do sort of a small cut. Maybe down to 195 or so which is my normal weight. I'm going to eat a little below maintenace and take EC to help me get started.

Supplements: EC, Sesamin, Lean Green, CEE, fish oil.

Routine:
    Day 1
    • Squats (5x5)
    • Deadlift (5x5)
    • Bench Press (5x5)
    • Incline DB Press (2x12)
    • Weighted Incline Situps (5x10)
    Day 2
    • Squats (4x8 light)
    • Shoulder Press (5x5)
    • Shrug (4x8)
    • Preacher Curl (5x5)
    • Pullovers (5x5)
    • Weight Incline Situps (5x10)
    Day 3
    • Squat (5x5)
    • Bent Over Row (5x5)
    • Incline DB Press (5x5)
    • Tricep Extension (2x15)
    • Weighted Incline Situps (5x10)
    On Day 3 I plan on doing my special forearm exercises to help rebuild some of my strength in my arm and work on my grip.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. xpinchx

Week 1

I'm taking it pretty easy. I'm not sure what I can do as I've lost most of my muscle memory. I'm dedicating this first week to getting my feel back, trying to get my form back down, trying not to get fucked too hard by delayed onset muscle soreness, and tweaking the routine to my needs. Keep in mind that I haven't lifted at all in an entire year. Plus I was in the hospital for a week and a half almost completely bed-bound, and ate almost nothing. Then spent a week at home not doing much and still had no apetite. All said and done I atrophied around 15lbs. Also note I don't have access to a proper squat rack anymore so no safety bars. If I go down for a squat and can't come back up, it's going to fall on my concrete basement floor of the house we're trying to sell.

Another note, I used to start at a lower weight and add weights to every set, but that took an incredibly long time. I've decided at least for the time being to keep the same weight for each lift to save time.

3/9/07
    Squats (5x5) - 135 lbs
    Deadlift (5x5) - 135 lbs
    Bench Press (5x5) - 85 lbs
    Incline DB Press (2x12) - 40 lbs
    Weighted Incline Situps (5x10) - 10lbs

I feel comfortable upping the squat next week. Deadlifts can definately go up quite a bit. The only thing limiting me here is my arm. At 135 the actual weight doesn't bother my arm as much as the position of my hand. I'm used to doing left over, right under. I'll try it vice verse next week and see if that helps. Bench press I actually got pretty close to failure. :hs: Situps went fine of course.

3/11/07
    Squats (4x8) - 115 lbs
    Shoulder Press (5x5) - 65 lbs
    Shrug (4x8) - 115 lbs
    Preacher Curl (5x5) - 40 lbs
    Pullovers (5x5) - 30 lbs
    Weight Incline Situps (5x10) 10 lbs

It was a bitch squatting with my legs as sore as they are. The only thing I really feel comfortable upping for next week is the pullovers, I forgot how easy those are. Again, I'm just taking it easy until I get the feel for these back. :hs: Plus I'm trying to ease into this program, the first week is always a bitch with the soreness. I like being able to tell when I really hit a body part though. Usually soreness is pretty rare after the first week for me. And also my arm was pretty limiting for this workout. I really just don't feel that comfortable with a ton of weight on there just hanging from my arms.

3/13/07

Will update later tonight...

3. TZ

TZ Banned

what the hell caused that nasty ass break? btw good luck in ur training and recovery.

4. xpinchx

I've told people before it was from crashing a dirtbike just because it's hard to explain exactly what I was riding on. But I'll just post it here for reference. It was a Honda Odyssey (not the van.) Basically an ATV with a harness and roll cage, supposedly safer. The one I was in had a snowmobile engine in it and the brakes didn't work. Was going downhill with a sharp blind corner at the end. My choices were to either run it head on into a tree or flip it around the corner and pray I don't roll over off the trail. I flipped it at the bottom of the hill and the force of the flipping threw my right arm out of the cage and it snapped like a twig. Obviously it compounded, but it also twisted about 360 degrees. My radial nerve had a traction injury so I lose the use of my tumb + index finger but it's coming back a little now. :hs:

[​IMG]

In retrospect I made the right decision. If I hit a tree head on I probably would've lossed my legs or fucked them up beyond repair.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

holy fuck dude- welcome back, hope the new training year goes well.

6. xpinchx

My arm is hurting pretty bad today. :hs: I'm not sure if it's just the soreness from the curls or if it's actually something serious with my arm. I'm going to go easy on my workout tonight and pop some vicodin and hope the pain goes away. :hs:

7. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

did your ortho ok you to start lifting?

8. xpinchx

Yeah, he told me to start lifting around 1/2 of what I used to and work up from there. He said it's totally normal if my arm gets sore, but as soon as I feel real, sharp pain to stop and if it gets really bad to call him. Most of the bone has reformed and there's 2 plates and 13 screws holding it all together so realistically there isn't much to worry about. I started this routine about a month ago but just after I started I fell down some stairs and messed it all up again. The doc cleared me for the second time now.

9. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

good luck lifting and good job at calling that quick decision.

10. xpinchx

I ended up taking a couple days off to rest. I thought I might've hurt my arm but it was just DOMS setting in. My arm feels better now and I'm gonna lift tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.