XP vs 64. question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by du, Nov 9, 2004.

1. du

du is so cool.

Ive got a athlon xp barton 2800+... runs at 2.0ghz. say i was to upgrade to an Athlon 64 3200+... that also runs stock at 2.0ghz. excuse my ignorance, but since they run at the same frequency, how much faster is the 64 and would it be worth it. I know theres so many other factors that the operating freq. but im not sure if it would be worth it.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

to put it simply, 32bit processor can only process 32bits of data in one cycle. 64bit doubles that (obviously) so it's essentially twice as fast when speaking about an application that is actually built to run on a 64bit platform. It's much more complicated than that, but you can't even compare the two on a ghz level

3. du

du is so cool.

thought so, thanks :bigthumb:

4. samm

samm Next in Line

A simple example of 64 bit computing is loading two 64 bit integers. One a 32 bit processor this takes 4 instructions and 4 registers. One a 64 bit processor this takes 2 instructions and 2 registers. This example can also be extended to store and add/subtract operations.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

1600mhz bus > 333mhz bus

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Not really true... it is no where near as simple as the way you put it.

1. the OS must natively provide support for it
    2. the application itself must be compiled for 64bit platform

Also, most modern processor got 64 bit (and beyond) instructions and vector processing...etc.

So, the benefit is not as obvious as what AMD might want you to believe. I would go 64bit all the way for my scientific computing (as I currently do). However, for most desktop application you will see little benefit from it.

One issue it address is the amount of memory for each application, which sooner or later has to be dealt with on the desktop platform (had long been dealt with since the P3 xeon as far as I am aware of)

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

That is if the CPU is true 32 bit. However, taking the P4 as an example, not true 64 bit (put it in simple terms), It does contain MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3 insturctions (some 64bit and some 128bit),and XMM registers (128bit). Even 32 bit CPU can have 64/128bit instructions and registers. Which is why P4 got respectable performance still even in multimedia applications.

64-bit computing is here, but it's still in the early stage for desktop, it has it's benefits, but for now, there's more marketing BS than some REAL differences at this point.

The Althon 64 got awesome performance because of many reasons, not just because its 64bit.