XP/Vista File Sharing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unknownsidhu, Feb 22, 2009.

1. unknownsidhu

unknownsidhu OT Supporter

Hey guys,
    I am running Windows XP Pro on my PC, Windows Vista on my laptop, and seem to be having issues regarding file sharing. File sharing has worked in the past, however I am having trouble after some recent changes. Both computers are on the same network. I have installed LTTD on the Xp machine. When I view network map on my laptop, I am able to see my desktop connected on the network. When I go into network on my laptop however, I am not able to see the shared folders that I have on my Xp machine. Also to add, when I am running Azureus on my desktop, I am able to see a media folder under networks on the laptop. Any ideas as to why I cannot see my shared folders? :x:

2. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

turn on network discovery and file sharing in your vista laptop

control panel > network and sharing center

3. unknownsidhu

unknownsidhu OT Supporter

Already on

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I had this same issue when I had XP on my desktop and my girlfriend had vista on her laptop. I tried all the normal shit and never found a reliable way to get file sharing working between them, the couple of times I did would be undone as soon as she took the laptop out of network range (to school). One of the main reasons I decided to finally put vista on my desktop.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Networking is something of a hobby of mine.
    Ironicaly, at home I don't want to screw with it to much. I want it to work. Like the Apple commericals.

To network ALL of my devices I use Network Magic.

I know it seems like one of those things you should do on your own and not spend money on. But what can I say, the application does EXACTLY what they say it does and it does it well.

Install the demo version of it on your PC's and after a week you will spend the money to get it out of demo mode.
    It is that good.

6. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

This is OT, we don't buy software 'round here.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

except in the mac shack :mamoru:

8. u have your firewall on on either computer? i have had that problem with a xp and vista machine. i had to turn off the firewall on both to get them to talk...
    also if you you have crappy av like mcaffee you may have to disable that while you share files

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can the machines ping each other by IP and name?

Not sure if this matters much, but when I use to have network problems, I'd setup a common user/password account on each machine.

The firewall shouldn't be a problem as long as file and print sharing is turned on, but it wouldn't hurt to temporarily turn it off to test.