XP upgrade vs. format and clean install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by epitaph, Dec 2, 2003.

1. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find anything. :hs:

I recently formatted everything and went to Win2000 from XP because my computer really isn't fast enough or have enough memory for XP. Now I'm building a nice new P4 system and I might want to go back to XP.

Here's my question: Are there any problems or conflicts that can come from upgrading an OS as opposed to doing a clean install? I know the best bet is to just do the clean install, but I just did that like two months ago and I don't feel like doing it again. :o

Course, I could just stick with 2000.... :dunno:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Windows, WinNT based systems in particular, really don't like having motherboards changed under them. Since you're building a new computer and are asking if you can upgrade to WinXP over Win2k, it sounds like you're moving the hard disk to the new machine. Do yourself a favor and install XP clean. You're going to have to reinstall or at least majorly repair your OS after the motherboard move anyway so you may as well install XP clean and do it right.

3. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

Yeah I was planning on moving it straight over. Although what you say makes plenty of sense, it never dawned on me. That's all the info I need, thanks. :cool: