XP to Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Ive been reading about just how good linux is compared to xp. So what are the differences. I mainly browse the web, play games, use photoshop, and thats about the extent. Would I loose any functionality? I was reading about redhat, suse, madrake. Are these just different versions of linux? So basically Im a total neeb to linux and want the basics if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks guys:noes:

2. rpark

rpark New Member

you don't need linux...

3. Kieffer87

Thats not what I asked. But thanks anyways for the smart ass comment.

4. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

If you've never used Linux before you'd honestly be better off sticking with Windows. There are a few versions of Linux that are easier to learn on (Ubuntu, Fedora Core, etc...) but it's never been really noob friendly. It would take a bit of work to get it setup to what you're used to with Windows with the various codecs you'd need to install. For internet browsing it's generally safer but you'd need to install java and flash to view alot of content, I believe commercial distributions come with most of what you need preloaded. For games, forget it. Besides a handfull of crappy games we have doom3, sim city and maybe unreal. For photo editing we have The Gimp, there's a windows port available so check it out. If you're serious about learning how to use Linux use another computer you have or dual boot if you'd like. I'd recommend Ubuntu because it's easy to use plus they ship you the discs for free. For further ease of use with Ubuntu, google around for "Easy Breezy". It'll set you up with what you need. For more info and links to download Linux cds check out www.linux.org. If you decide to use Linux, the best advice I could give you is don't give up. It's hard at first but you'll get used to the commands soon enough, if you get stuck ask for help.

5. samm

samm Next in Line

Try the Ubuntu Live CD and see if you like it.

6. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

cedega FTW

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If what you do is mostly surf the web and use Photoshop, you won't lose much if any functionality by switching to Linux. You'll have to learn to do the things you do in Photoshop in the GIMP, and to use Firefox (if you don't already), but that's about it. Of course, the interface is different and such, so there is a change, but pretty well every distro these days comes with a good default interface that's intuitive and easy to use.

SuSE, Mandrake, etc are all distributions of Linux. Linux actually just refers to the kernel of the OS, while a distribution comes with the kernel and all the user-level software that you actually see and use. I would highly recommend Ubuntu (it's what I use), since it is very easy to install, has great hardware detection and is fairly easy to get used to. If you want to try Linux out without actually installing it on your hard drive, download a LiveCD (Ubuntu has one, Knoppix/Gnoppix are good ones to try too). You just boot off the CD, and away you go.

8. Kieffer87

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks guys! I have a laptop that I just browse internet and type notes on in class. So I will try a live cd first and see what I think. More than anything I just want to get a little experience in it and atleast be able to say I have worked with it before. Who knows maybe Ill say screw Microsoft. But once again thanks for the help.:wavey: