XP sp2 ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RotorBalls, Jun 28, 2005.

1. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I've been avoiding sp2 like the plague cuz I hate the security center, pop up blocker, active x bullshit etc... But I just rebuilt my laptop and one of my desktops with an XP sp 2 disk and they both have the same issues with mapping network drives. What's the trick to using the old \\ method? Seems I have to go in and set up home or office network to even connect to the other machine. The machine I'm trying to connect to still has sp1 on it. Is this just an extra security feature? I'm about to wipe the drive again and install XP without it. Also I can't seem to manage my damn wireless on my laptop now either. What a fucking pain in the ass! :rant2:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

SP2 makes no difference in how Windows computers network. The only thing that could possbily make any difference at all is the SP2 enables the firewall by default and pre-SP2 does not.

You can access a known share directly by typing it in an explorer address bar:

\\servername\sharename

Or map a drive from the command prompt:

net use g: \\servername\sharename where g: is the drive you want it mapped to.

3. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i don't know what your problem is with sp2. its really not that bad. but i will admit i had a similar problem. try disabling the firewall or manually setting an exception for windows shares.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'd highly recommend SP2 for all XP machines...

If you actually try the new features such as the firewall and pop-up blocker, you'll be happy with them...

And BTW, if the firewall is turned on, you have to make sure to turn on file and print sharing since it is turned off by default.

5. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

First thing I do is turn off the firewall in XP and disabled the security center completely. So I still don't know why I'm having a problem :dunno: File and print sharing may have been disabled though, I'll double check it when I get home. But wouldn't the machine that I'm connected to only need filesharing enabled? Which it has had

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  6. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I've had sp2 on work machines before but of course I disabled the crap. I honestly have no use for a popup blocker. If I'm getting pop ups and have a spyware problem on my machine I want to make sure it's removed. I use firefox mostly anyway though and it does a pretty decent job at blocking popups.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well besides the pop-up blocker and security center which yes you can turn off if you wanted, how are you going to keep your PC updated past SP1??

There have been a few updates since SP2 came out.

8. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I manually install updates when needed. Even without SP2 you should be able to install those updates. I tend to know when updates are out because I build a lot of PCs at work and run the updates that aren't on the RIS server

9. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I don't mean to hijack the thread but maybe someone can help me.

I just built my new computer and I put Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 (a legal copy I bought) and everytime I boot my computer up I have to repair the wireless connection to get online. I have a lot of services disabled but I have checked and double checked them to make sure that they aren't the problem.

Thanks.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

This is one of those times I wish Jolly was here because he would smack you silly for not upgrading to SP2 by now. The only people left on SP1 are people with cracked copies of XP or misinformed people.

11. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

:mamoru: I don't want extra crap shoved down my throat that's all. If they're gonna give us enhancements at least let us choose which ones we can install. Is that too much to ask?

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes it is. Because it's people like you who will also whine about how unsecured Windows is. It's no different than not taking care of your car. If you don't change the oil, you can bet that the dealer will simply laugh in yoiur face when you bring in your car because the engine seized.

13. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

:rofl: nice analogy...I have no problem with windows at all. I know it better than any other OS.

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I had this problem on a machine that I worked on, except I was not able to repair the network connection at all.

I eventually uninstalled SP2, which fixed the network problem, and then put it back on an all was fine.

15. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

IMHO, SP2 is absolutely terrible. If you want to avoid popups, just use a different browser other than IE. My main problem with it is that it severely breaks several Win16 apps (I know, I know, laugh at me, but I still haven't found replacements that *work*) and that it seems to make all my comps more unstable (Thinkpad X31, Athlon XP 2000+ system, Athlon 64 3200+ system). Yes, that's three legit installs. YMMV, but for me SP2 has caused a lot of wasted time and headaches.

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Are you installing it over an existing installation or clean? I've done a few SP2 installs over an existing Windows and haven't had a problem yet but I know its a game of change. Installing XP with SP2 slipstreamed in or putting SP2 on right after reformatting and installing has caused me zero problems.

17. Missile Command Kid

Always clean. I religiously format my HD every month (the A64 system); once in a while I try SP2, but I always regret it ;)

18. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Must be an AMD thing :p or else you've got some really weird hardware or software in there. I've never seen SP2 hose machine that was just formatted.

19. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Do you have anything back up themes claims besides oh it screws things up?

Seriously people who just throw up some whines about how much things suck but continously do things that they shouldn't amaze me.

20. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

x2...

Sounds a little overkill to me.

I only format if I need to...

21. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

hehe Its been over three years here with XP Pro. Thinking about reformatting and reloading though just to get rid of the remnants of all the programs I don't use anymore.

22. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I try to format every 4 to 6 months.

23. Missile Command Kid

Aside from a few Win16 apps that you (and the rest of the modern world) have never heard of, wireless ceases to work for me & my network acts screwy (random drops, sharing needs to be periodically restarted, etc.) It's slower, too. Finally, a few IBM apps and SP2 don't play nicely together (IBM Software Update & Access Communications, to be exact).

"YMMV" means "your mileage may vary." I'm thrilled that SP2 doesn't cause you any problems, but it does for me. Call it whining all you want, but it's not like I started a thread about SP2 and how useless it is ;)

24. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

I gave up on troubleshooting the issue. I've had sp2 work great and then cause issues so I'm neither for or against it completely. But it's still a headache to have to deal with it. My latest problem with my laptop since formatting is that the system hangs when logging in. I'll log in, windows sounds, it stays at the admin logon screen and wont load the desktop for a good min or two. Again this is a clean install with xp sp2...so I'm gonna re-reformat the fucker when I find the time...with xp sp2 just to give it a second try :mad:

25. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

:hsugh: I'm not gonna argue with you on this one...I think the command kid said it well enough. There's several reasons why major corporations and companies have not migrated to sp2 yet.